Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Cusco vs. Tein SS coilovers - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Cusco vs. Tein SS coilovers - Anyone?

Can anyone compare the ride quality of these coilovers? Has anyone owned both? If so, could you please list what you like or dont like about each set? Im looking for something that rides very well over crappy roads since I live in the worst state ever.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

40 views and no one can give me any type of comparison? Ok, how about just general reviews? I know several here have Cuscos and Im hoping someone has the TEIN SS or SS-P's (Basics need not apply).
Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cusco>Tein.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

OK here goes. Cusco are just height adjustable. You can slam them to the ground and they ride pretty nice and cost more than the Tein i believe. And by slaming them to the ground, I mean over 3 inches i believe. THey also come with pillow ball uppermounts.

The Tien's are ride height adjustable and shock adjustable 16 ways. So you ahve 16 levels of dampening form hard to soft. The hard isnt very hard though. But im on super stiff Trust coilovers. You can get these with pillow ball uppermounts for a bit more. Whats cool about Tein is that you can get the coilovers service here in the USA while every other company has to ship them to Japan to get serviced. Ow and the Teins drop as low as 2.5 inches.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MattyRattyPoo
while every other company has to ship them to Japan to get serviced. Ow and the Teins drop as low as 2.5 inches.
The majority are rebuilt in Japan, yes. But not all.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks Matt and illist. I knew most of those facts already but I was worried that the Cuscos would ride rough. I REALLY need a smoother ride for my bones arent what they used to be when I was 17 and Im sick of hearing the GF complain about it when we take long trips.

I was considering how easy it is to have the TEINs serviced, I know several people who have had it done through them with excellent remarks about it.

I was hoping Aireck would comment about his Cuscos.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Both have a soft ride. You can order stiffer rated springs from Tein and I helped my friend install them in his SS coilovers and had the stiffest setting on the shock and he said that it was supper stiff than beofre but from my point of view, they where like riding on a cloud. Maybe to stay safe, get the Teins. You have more options than the Cusco's.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

fwiw, I would never have a problem choosing between Cusco and Tein. Cusco, easy. But, I just really don't like Tein. haha. . Not a fair comparison between the two, imo.

Question: Do you need coilovers? Why not just get a set of springs with a spring rate you desire and couple them up with some adj. struts/shocks like the Tokico HTS, Koni, KYB, etc.?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once I get some responses check out this
Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Cusco Vacanza Zero Wagon. I'm dropped at 3" in front and 2.75" in back (with lots more go). The ride is outstanding (I'm also on stock steelies). I thought it would be harsher since the spring rates were higher than Tein Basics, but it still rides really nice!

When I was at F 2.5" and R 2.25", Stylis (Gabe) siad they rode like his Tein Basics.

HTH
Old 07-11-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by illiST
fwiw, I would never have a problem choosing between Cusco and Tein. Cusco, easy. But, I just really don't like Tein. haha. . Not a fair comparison between the two, imo.

Question: Do you need coilovers? Why not just get a set of springs with a spring rate you desire and couple them up with some adj. struts/shocks like the Tokico HTS, Koni, KYB, etc.?
Because I have coilovers now and the car still needs to go lower. I can go lower with the D2s I have on my car now but they are track use setup and ride kinda harsh. I also run 15 x 8 Work Equip 01's and even on a set of DF 210's they would look stupid without close to a 3 inch drop.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrianxB
Originally Posted by illiST

Because I have coilovers now and the car still needs to go lower. I can go lower with the D2s I have on my car now but they are track use setup and ride kinda harsh. I also run 15 x 8 Work Equip 01's and even on a set of DF 210's they would look stupid without close to a 3 inch drop.

A simple "yes" would have worked fine. haha , j/k. (i know I posed a second question.. I actually enjoyed the rest of your post)
Old 07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well im on Cuscos and the ride isn;t that bad, meaning my wife doesn't nag about the ride and thats saying alot...
i have teins on her tC and at first she thought they were to rough but fixed the dampening and shes all smiles....
Teins are all the way down... by the way...

for the drop i have on the Cuscos .(+3 maybe 4 all around). they are pretty good and not harsh at all... very bearable....

if you were in socal i would've taken ya for a ride!!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

thanks man, perhaps Ill get the Cuscos instead of Teins. I just need to know how much of a pain its going to be to get them rebuilt in the future.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll let ya know when i get there.....
Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thanks man, perhaps Ill get the Cuscos instead of Teins. I just need to know how much of a pain its going to be to get them rebuilt in the future.
OW its gonna be a lot of money!! You have to pay for shipping to and from Japan and then pay for everything they must replace. Tein charges 100 plus anything etra they must replace per shock. And Tein does it in the US. I cant even imagine what it would cost for Cusco's to be rebuilt or any other coilover out there.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

interesting.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but you can just replace the rear shock with a shorter one...
... this will be something i'll have to look into when i get there...
Old 07-13-2006, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MattyRattyPoo
OW its gonna be a lot of money!! You have to pay for shipping to and from Japan and then pay for everything they must replace. Tein charges 100 plus anything etra they must replace per shock. And Tein does it in the US. I cant even imagine what it would cost for Cusco's to be rebuilt or any other coilover out there.

$100 is the base price just for the strut/shock which usually won't apply if you're in need of a full rebuild anyway (which might warrant the need of wear & tear parts on other components). it can add up in the long run.

for the money spent vs. the quality you get with the tein's are hard to beat, regardless if you like the brand or not. this is why Tein has been somewhat dominating the market with their product.

either way you go, IMO, it's money well spent. both companies are great in their own right. you just have to first factor in the majors like what you want, what you need and how much you're willing to spend, then you can figure out the small differences that make that one specific coilover better tailored for your needs.

one things for certain... at least it's not JIC's you're talking about. you'd have to probably replace struts every couple weeks. LOL [/i]
Old 07-15-2006, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tein

Has anyone had to get tein coil overs fixed?

Quick Reply: Cusco vs. Tein SS coilovers - Anyone?