Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

E-bay coilovers- any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default E-bay coilovers- any good?

Sorry if this has been posted before. Anybody have any luck with these things?
I mean, common, these are just cheap, light cars, Do we REALLY NEED $2,000 fully race engineered real coilover suspensions fit for a exotic car? Just want to get low, cheap- it's just an advertising vehicle. Seriously if I wanted real performance I'd be in the Golf R32. I want people to look at my business name, have a cheap payment, and get good mileage. One of my friends had a similar el cheapo setup on his Civic SI and it rode great, same for another with a Jetta. Seriously there are only a few real spring manufactures in the world. Half of all the stuff out there is made by the same place and painted a different color with a different name. Same with wheels- know who makes most of the wheels out there? Not Konig, not (insert name here)- it's probably Mackin industries. They even make the aluminum heads for Edlebrock- most comanies are just "branders"- and I bet you thought that Vic Edlebrock was sitting behind a mill making his own parts.

I know I will get the responses that only REAL coilovers by HKS or whover should be ran. I'm not looking for "hot air" feedback, or theory's. Does Anyone actually have EXPERIENCE with these cheapo setups on an XB? If so than please reply.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Banned

Hey man i know where you are commin from. Your best buy would be a set of Tinen coilovers for about 1 grand. I have seen em on ebay before or if you do a search on google.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am thinking about buying these myself. Hell with shipping they are only $100. Ya your pobably going to lose ride quality with these instead of a real coilover system But I did that already by putting 19's on my box
Old 09-03-2004, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

something about ebay coil-overs just turns my stomach... I doubt you had anyone that tried "similar" coil-overs with good result... pretty much anyone that ever tried a set of cheap coil-overs has hated them. They usually have extremely harsh ride qualities, fitament is usually very poor and loose -- and they friggin squeak.

Let's just hope these don't fall out, theres already been a discussion about this with the ground control setup that uses a coil over similar to that, a guy with an echo crashed when his springs came out while driving.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You get what you pay for (especially with suspension components) I would suggest what the guy a few posts back said and get a set of Teins, they can be had for $700-800 dollars for the basic coilovers. I have them on my civic and they are by far better than a sleeved coilover kit.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i agree.. u get what u pay for.. i received that exact kit today and nothing mounts up correctly.

the rears come with small mounting washers that go right through the hole that they are suppose to hold the sleeve in place

the front sleeves dont fit onto the strut cylinder because of the collar that holds the strut rod into the cylinder. if the sleeve actually fit on the front i would just cut the tall springs to height, install them in the back and then install the already short ones in the front.. no biggy, but nope no luck there

they sent 2 different size springs and only the small ones work. so i can either lower my front or rear and have an extra set of springs that are too tall.

they also did not include the bumpstops as stated in the auction

so what they need to actually include in the kit:

1. bumpstops
2. 2 rear adjustable sleeves
3. 2 front adj sleeves that FIT
4. 4 small springs
5. washer that actually holds the rear sleeves on
6. the rest of the necessary o-rings and hardware

i just emailed them to get this clarified. according to there auction though they state that in an exchange u need to send back the kit in NEW/UNOPENED condition.. well they sent me the wrong stuff and i wouldnt know that until i tried it so basically they charge a 15% restocking fee ~ crap if u ask me
Old 09-25-2004, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hmm, thanks for the update...I was slightly thinking about buying them, but now...hell no, I will save the money up for good ones
Old 09-25-2004, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess you just don't know how to install them bro. I have them on my XB as we speak. It took me about 1 hour from start to finish. The washers for the rear perches are too small , but one trip to the hardware store fixes that. Where are you located? If you want I can put them in for you. They are working great for me. Alittle bouncy when lowered all the way but, perfect where I have them. Ican't complain about $99 bucks
Old 09-25-2004, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hmmm munch go help him install and take pics...if it's really good enough maybe it's something to look into?

Jeff
Old 09-25-2004, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xboxPS2
hmmm munch go help him install and take pics...if it's really good enough maybe it's something to look into?

Jeff
If he gets back to me I could. It's not that hard
Old 09-25-2004, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know what im doing...

if it dont fit, u must acquit
Old 09-25-2004, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by NJthunder5spd

bwahahaha...lmfao

AC where are you? I need a ride
Old 09-25-2004, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know what im doing...

I guess you don't need my help then
Old 09-25-2004, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont recall asking for it either
Old 09-25-2004, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont recall asking for it either
See that....................... try to help people out and they act like meatheads. Whatever bro You're the one with the install problems not me If you can't put a simple set of springs in your car then you don't need to be working on it
Old 09-25-2004, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

perhaps u should change the way u approach people when offering your "help"..

maybe wording things a bit differently so u dont seem so arrogant and demeaning would be a big help.. bro

as for not being able to install a simple set of springs.. i laugh at u since im the local guy everyone comes to when they need ANYTHING done to there car/truck/bike
Old 09-25-2004, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as for not being able to install a simple set of springs.. i laugh at u since im the local guy everyone comes to when they need ANYTHING done to there car/truck/bike
I feel sorry for them then :? :? :? :?
Old 09-25-2004, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see the arrogance never goes away

but thats cool..

2 each his own
Old 09-25-2004, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see the arrogance never goes away

but thats cool..

2 each his own
Deal with it bro You started it I just tried to help you out.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

perhaps u should change the way u approach people when offering your "help"..

maybe wording things a bit differently so u dont seem so arrogant and demeaning would be a big help.. bro

Originally Posted by Munch
I guess you just don't know how to install them bro. I have them on my XB as we speak. It took me about 1 hour from start to finish. The washers for the rear perches are too small , but one trip to the hardware store fixes that. Where are you located? If you want I can put them in for you. They are working great for me. Alittle bouncy when lowered all the way but, perfect where I have them. I can't complain about $99 bucks
Seems nice & clear to me.

Quick Reply: E-bay coilovers- any good?