Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Energy Suspension End Link Bushings installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yes, grade 8 nylon lock nuts!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I found another local source for the End Link Grommet Set. You can also get them at PepBoys. They are made by SUPERIOR AUTOMOTIVE. Their product line is Ride EFFEX P/N:20-0200R and they cost $9.99.

This kit is IDENTICAL in every way to the Energy Suspension part number 9.8105R but it cost a few dollars less. The kit includes the identical 8 Red Polyurethane Grommet's and the 8 metal washers just like the Energy kit does.

Superior Automovite web site: www.sup-auto.com

Polyurethane Sway Bar End Link Kit

Energy Suspension
Part Number: 9.8105R
ID: 0.375"
Nipple OD: 0.6875"
OD: 1.125"
Overall Length: 0.75"
Includes: 8 Grommets & 8 Heavy Gauge Washers
Retail Price: $11.99
=====

Superior Automovite - Ride EFFEX
Part Number: 20-0200R
ID: 0.375"
Nipple OD: 0.6875"
OD: 1.125"
Overall Length: 0.75"
Includes: 8 Grommets & 8 Heavy Gauge Washers
Retail Price: $9.99

=====

The bolts required are:
Grade 8, 5/16 diameter, 4" long,

The lock nut required are:
Grade 8, 5/16, Self Locking.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey enduser, great info! I dropped by Pep Boys and they had one pack left. Thanks for putting all that info in your post!

Pretty easy to install. Jacked both sides up, took the old bolts and bushings out, put the new ones in, and ready to go! I don't really feel handling improvements, but it does feel much tighter going over bumps.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my hardware from lowes. I did my upgrade when I lowered my xa. I jsut retorqued them the other day.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

This is seriously next on my to do list. When I changed springs, I saw how truly crappy the stock bushings are. Now it's just gotta get above freezing here.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, so I was bored, and it wasn't TOO cold out...
It didn't take too long to swap them and for under 20 bucks, it's a significant improvement over stock.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just finished this mod. It helps to have both sides jacked up if you don't use ramps. I had to adjust my jacks a bit as I went along to get the bolts to drop in.

Here's a tip... put the second bushing, 2 washers and the third bushing on the control arm first before feeding your bolt and first bushing through.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finished this mod today, and I must say its well worth the few bux for the parts. I can't believe those stock bushings were just shot with not even 19,000miles on them.

Definitly unbolt both stock units when uninstalling so you can move the swaybar around to take the old junk out. Also put the front end on jackstands and use the jack (or 2 if you have them like I did) to jack up and down each control arm. This is very important to getting the old stuff out and the new stuff in.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member

I did this mod today. Before starting this mod, I measured the distance between the bottom of the sway bar and the top of the a-arm, and noted that it was 1.75".

If you just stack up the washers and bushings as shown in previous threads, the distance between them will end up at just 1.5", even before tightening the assembly. In order to keep the correct geometry, I machined a pair of spacers .25" long and a pair .375" long, to put between the inner washers.

Upon re-assembly I realized that it was gonna be hard enough just getting the .25 thick spacers in there, so thats what I went with, and discarded the .375" spacers. The 4" bolt was just barely long enough for me to get the nut started. Afer tightening to the correct torque, I remeasured between the bar and the a-arm, and have a distance of 1.625". This I feel, is close enough. If I would not have used a spacer at all, the disatnce would have only been 1.375".

This may seem **** and overkill, but I see no reason to shorten the length of the link, if I can make it the right length to begin with. Also the bushings will seat better if they are squared up, or perpendicular, with the holes in the bar and a-arm(which is how it was designed to be). Now in the past, when I have lowered my vehicles, I shortened the length of the link relative to the amount of drop. The bar end may not be parallel with the a-arm in a lowered application, but this is one of the compromises that come with lowering. Maintaining the sway bar ends geometry or height, relative to the center sway bar mounting points takes priority in this application.

This is actually the main reason I used spacers between the inner washers;Maintaining the sway bar ends geometry or height, relative to the center sway bar mounting points takes priority in this application.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

Just installed these on mine and the GFs xBs. First time on mine was a learning expierence. The GFs was much easier. Some pointers i would like to make.

Jack the front end of the car up and secure it on stands.
12MM for both top and bottom of the OEM bolt
remove the top nut first.
Using visegrips on the center of the bolt remove the bottom nut.
Do this on both sides, and the OEM bolts, washers and rubbers will just fall out.
When installing, insert the center bushings with 2 metal washers in the center.
From the top, drop in the new 4" bolt with a bushing and metal washer.
Do both sides, then install the bottom bushing, washer, and locking nut from the bottom and tighten.
My bolts were only threaded on the bottom inch or so, so i tightened them all the way up to that point. I also did not find the Grade 8 nut, so i went with the basic.

I also bled my front end brakes while i was under there. The fluid came out yellow ( DOT 3 ) but with the fluid were tiny bits of stuff. Stuff black and rust colored. I had the GF pump the brakes until no more stuff was released from the front calipers. This sutff came out of both sets of calipers, hers and mine.

Oh, i bought the bushings from PepBoys as well. Part # 20-0020R
Old 07-15-2008, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1epoXyBox
Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

So after making a day trip to Coney Island yesterday ( the famous 4th of July Nathans Hot Dog Eating Contest 2 blocks down ) i did notice that the front end was smoother. I already have the front srtut brace ( RS1 ) and the Progress rear sway & Progress spring so i wasnt expecting much. I did notice that going over potholes and sewer grates, the transistion was considerably smoother.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chris. Go to Lowes in Westbury. They have the Grade 8 Nylon Lock Nuts. They work great...mine haven't backed out yet since the inital install.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did this mod today. The first side took about 30 minutes (including trying to find the right tools in my Dads garage). The second side took about 5 minutes.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn i need to do this myself....will this work if i install my hotckis front sway bar?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oompwa
I did this mod today. Before starting this mod, I measured the distance between the bottom of the sway bar and the top of the a-arm, and noted that it was 1.75".

If you just stack up the washers and bushings as shown in previous threads, the distance between them will end up at just 1.5", even before tightening the assembly. In order to keep the correct geometry, I machined a pair of spacers .25" long and a pair .375" long, to put between the inner washers.

Upon re-assembly I realized that it was gonna be hard enough just getting the .25 thick spacers in there, so thats what I went with, and discarded the .375" spacers. The 4" bolt was just barely long enough for me to get the nut started. Afer tightening to the correct torque, I remeasured between the bar and the a-arm, and have a distance of 1.625". This I feel, is close enough. If I would not have used a spacer at all, the disatnce would have only been 1.375".

This may seem **** and overkill, but I see no reason to shorten the length of the link, if I can make it the right length to begin with. Also the bushings will seat better if they are squared up, or perpendicular, with the holes in the bar and a-arm(which is how it was designed to be). Now in the past, when I have lowered my vehicles, I shortened the length of the link relative to the amount of drop. The bar end may not be parallel with the a-arm in a lowered application, but this is one of the compromises that come with lowering. Maintaining the sway bar ends geometry or height, relative to the center sway bar mounting points takes priority in this application.

This is actually the main reason I used spacers between the inner washers;Maintaining the sway bar ends geometry or height, relative to the center sway bar mounting points takes priority in this application.
I think your post makes a lot of sense, it's what I was thinking while looking at the different pictures in this thread and seen the ones without the spacer vs the ones with the spacers, but most of the guys here have their cars lowered, so I guess that's why the geometry works better without the spacer for them.

Any idea if I can just reduce/cut the size of the bolt and the spacer on the ES kit a little bit, looking for a middle ground?:
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...5130&cat=10770

Or is the threaded part of the bolt too short?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guess whats missing???

Hints:
Its grade 8
its made out of rubber like material
red and silver in color
can be purchased at lowes and auto zone
connects sway bar to control arm

Yup, it broke and vanished. I felt a slight wobble on the interstate like it was really windy out. Then clunk noises when going over bumps sideways. I checked and it was gone.

I replaced it with the kit that comes with the bolts, lets see hot that one holds up.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you use a nylon lock nut?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yupper, got em from lowes. I did this back in March.

I was horsing around the other day we got all this rain, better check yourself before you wreck yourself.

I basically was drifting to end all drifting and when it snapped I lost my drifting ability and when the car strighten out I quit that.

Originally Posted by dexter_5000
did you use a nylon lock nut?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Got my bushings bolts and nuts with the good info enduser62 posted up there

Now... question, jacking up the car, is that just for clearence or do I need the wheels to be "hanging" ?

I ask because I can also use ramps which would be easier. So... ramps or jacks?

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension End Link Bushings installed!!!!