Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

FBI airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default FBI airbags?

Is anyone running the full kit from them, pros-cons?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you mean by full kit? Meaning the Airlift front strut and their rear brackets? Or do you mean like buying every part and piece from them?

In my opinion... Shop around. You can get higher quality parts for lower prices if you are talking about all of the parts and pieces. I'd also research both the Easystreet and Universal Air rear kits. I think both of these mount the bags with the airline pointed up instead of down. Not sure of a difference in drop.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I was talking about the full kilt that they sell on the web site. I have talked to them before and I have looked around and there kit seems to offer the most drop. the price is like $1,395 for the who;e thing, I really don't want to have to order one part from one guy and another part from someone diff etc....

I am more concerned about the amount of drop as well I want the most I can go just short of "doing a Randode"
Old 12-06-2006, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The price isn't all that bad. Just keep in mind that for the $1319 price you have to be a "member" of their club. This requires a $100/year membership fee. In reality, it wouild be cheaper to do this than buy the kit at a regular price.

As far as the kit is concerned I am not a huge fan of the blitzluft valves or the Thomas compressors. They perform ok, but aren't exceptional. Particularly the Blitzluft valves. FBI has a tendency to over promise and under deliver with these.

I would also definitely add a second pair of valves for the rear. This will be an additional $50+ dollars and will require additional fittings as well. You may also want to add gauges, since their kit does not include them. The choice is really up to you. If you want a one stop shop, it may be the way to go.

Then again, you can probably be out the door for a complete kit for about the same price from Suicide Doors. It might be a little bit more, but you'll have some higher quality components. (You would choose a Suicide Air Management kit along with the Airlift front and rear kit.) You would have to have them help you choose your fittings as well. (Or you could order a complete fitting kit from http://www.innovativeairsuspension.com.)

It really is a personal choice. And I am also not sure if the FBI rear kit goes any lower than air lift, or Universal Air. I think all of them are held up by the shocks. And when not held up by the shocks, the tires hit. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member

larry at innovative is a really good guy, I would get fittings locally at a local tracactor trailer place because there usually cheaper. suicidedoors.com has some nice air parts as far as tanks and compressors go. I would also recomend some smc valves, and mabey go with a ss or aluminum tank.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

The Sucide brackets are the Best IMHO They point the fittings upside down but they are by far a true bolt in, application, not to mention I can change a bag in under 5 minutes.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you mean FBI.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can speak from experence the air lift rear set up is junk had problems with back bags blowing at the crimp since i got it and had one pop a few weeks ago so i called to get another (so far i have busted 8 of them and this is not due to over inflation either) and the person at airlift told me the changed the rear design along time ago . that was total bs he lied to me big time so i will never buy anything from airlift again .he said he would have me a bag out asap and that was 2 or 3 weeeks ago theyare full of crap i would go with the fbi rear brackets that use a convoluted bag.and if anyones is interested in buy a box let me know mine is FOR SALE
Old 12-15-2006, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did he totally lie to you if he told you about the revised design?

I do agree that there customer service can be lacking though. And there is no excuse for the parts taking so long. Did you hit him up about getting a new rear kit at a severely reduced price?

Of the three most popular rear designs for people piecing kits together I think FBI drops the least. I can't confirm this though. Simply based on the bracket designs and bags used.

If you are willing to do some very minor cutting I think the Easystreet kit will go lower in the rear.

I think the Universal kit will go lower as well and is supposed to be completely bolt on. The only drawback is that it uses a single convoluted bag. That means the bag can not flex as much to work with the single pivot point design of our rear torsion beam.

FBI does offer a completely bolt on setup with double convoluted bags though. I just don't think it drops as much and the bags get mounted with the fittings pointed toward the ground.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The FBI kit (as they call it) is ok if you just want to put air on your box. To me it's not well thought out and needs some work. I have installed the kit on a friends box and the back bags with the funky mounts are a pain in the a$$. They say BOLT ON well they leave out the part where you have to drill out holes to mount the brackets then have to use self tapping bolts to bolt it to the body. I do not trust that setup, but thats just me. The "kit" comes with a 5 gal tank. Only spot you can put that big tank is in the back on the box. What if you have a system in the back? It comes with 6 valves. Why not 8 like it needs to be? They want you to use 2 for the rear but anyone that has done air ride knows that in truns air will shift to the other bag and cause roll. If you want a true kit get it from someone that knows about air ride and the car or truck it is going on. I came up with the air setup on the xA I have by buying the parts that was right for me and the type of install I was doing. That don't come in any kit out there.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hate the fbi bag mount brackets they are junk they have broken on me 3 times and u have to weld the top cup to the car or else it will pop out on you they are the biggest pieces of ____ and i have never had a problem with the airlift 2500lb bags on the rear still on the same one from first install and have put 40,000 miles on them fbi brackets dont allow the back to lay very low it barley tucks the top of my factory wheels i would go with something different