Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Front sway bar question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Front sway bar question

ok I did a search and then searched again, but no help.

first off have heard that you can take out the front sway bar if you are on bags to drop the front another 1/2 - 3/8 inch. what will this do to the car what effects will I see handling wise? I don't plan on racing my box or drive hard, if that helps.

second how hard is the front sway bar to remove? pics?

Thanks,
Old 01-24-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your front end would probably a bit, and you would have alot of roll with the front of the car and the car could roll on a hard turn, or maybe even oversteer.

i think that is because when you corner, all the weight goes to the outside tires, while more weight on the outside tire will mean better cornering, but too much of a good thing means that the weight will go to the outside tires, and keep going because the sway bar helps distribute the weight to the inside tire to stabilize the car.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
your front end would probably a bit, and you would have alot of roll with the front of the car and the car could roll on a hard turn, or maybe even oversteer.

i think that is because when you corner, all the weight goes to the outside tires, while more weight on the outside tire will mean better cornering, but too much of a good thing means that the weight will go to the outside tires, and keep going because the sway bar helps distribute the weight to the inside tire to stabilize the car.
so in theory if I drive slow around sharp turns and drive around town and travel down the hwy then I should be fine?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, but i mean, if your keeping your box as low as possible, your lowered center of gravity could work to your advantage, but your stability when manuevering would be extremely compromized if say something like a deer jumps out in front of you, and you swerve to miss it, or maybe take an on or off ramp too fast, you could have problems at speed.

i really wouldn't want to take off a sway bar just to drop the box lower, i have seen in 4x4 contests, where people with full size pick ups would disconnect the sway bar or torsion bar or whatever because it gave them virtually unlimited articulation on the ramp, but ofcourse, they would never drive on the road like that.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

cool, thanks for the info.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

so how hard is it to remove? anyone have a right up? pics?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, if it is like the tc, you have to remove the subframe to get at it. took about three hours to do on my car. so that is about all i can tell you.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a great DIY

http://groups.msn.com/Sorensonbrian/...isswaybar.msnw

btw i tried to remove it w/o dropping my k-member and its impossible
Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
heres a great DIY

http://groups.msn.com/Sorensonbrian/...isswaybar.msnw

btw i tried to remove it w/o dropping my k-member and its impossible
ah sweet that helps a bunch! thanks, so it looks like it is not a quick job huh?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:44 AM

Whats up man!!! My fellow Red Cupper, watch out for axle rubbing. We had a scion xB over here in Northern California that when he slammed it to the ground the axle it self was rubbing on the chassis. So when you do remove it, please watch where your axle goes. :D

Old 01-26-2008, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice info!

Thx

John
Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 AM

No worries, I finally had some time to check the boards again. Thought I would stop in and add my .02cents. :D Happy lowering

Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Stylis
Whats up man!!! My fellow Red Cupper, watch out for axle rubbing. We had a scion xB over here in Northern California that when he slammed it to the ground the axle it self was rubbing on the chassis. So when you do remove it, please watch where your axle goes. :D
Thanks for the heads up Stylis.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gothbox
when i got the hotchkis one took me like 2 and half hours just to get the thing out.. it isnt easy and i highly recomend going somewhere where you can use a lift, cause it requies un bolting the engine cradle..
Old 01-26-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by PakanaHerruus
Originally Posted by Gothbox
when i got the hotchkis one took me like 2 and half hours just to get the thing out.. it isnt easy and i highly recomend going somewhere where you can use a lift, cause it requies un bolting the engine cradle..
well I have a few jack stands, and hopefully that will be fine.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its the space you need to mess with it.. cause you are gonna have to mess with it alot.. different angles and alot of muscle to get it out of certain places.. it was hard for me, and that was with the ability to stand under my car..
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by PakanaHerruus
its the space you need to mess with it.. cause you are gonna have to mess with it alot.. different angles and alot of muscle to get it out of certain places.. it was hard for me, and that was with the ability to stand under my car..
heck even if I have to get out the grinder and cut it up into pieces to get it out easier the so be it it WILL come out.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

If you can weld, notching the front subframe would be a better option< cut a whole, and use some pipe cut in half to box it back in.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Spider13
If you can weld, notching the front subframe would be a better option< cut a whole, and use some pipe cut in half to box it back in.
true, I can't weld but I prob could get access to a welder but it would just be a matter of getting together with the guy to do it would be a prob.

I guess I could just suck it up and take it to Silverstar Customs (sliverstarcustoms.com) and have them do it.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i really wouldn't want to take off a sway bar just to drop the box lower, i have seen in 4x4 contests, where people with full size pick ups would disconnect the sway bar or torsion bar or whatever because it gave them virtually unlimited articulation on the ramp, but ofcourse, they would never drive on the road like that.
On a 4x4 I never run a sway bar. It's not like a sway bar is a necessity, it just helps control body roll.

I have seen some S-10s on bags with no front shocks just to get super low and they would drive it on the freeway like that.

Come to think of it someone I knew laid his truck down on the frame rails at night when he was on the freeway doing around 80 MPH and ended up grinding a small hole in his gas tank. Between all the sparks coming out from the back of his truck and all the little fireballs bouncing around, it was quite an awesome light show.

Quick Reply: Front sway bar question