Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

H&R Cup Kit Review: Pic-Intensive

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think so. You could call H&R or e-mail them to see if they would sell them to you, but I'd rather just spend the money on coilovers. You'd need coilovers or bags to go lower anyways... and I'm already scraping on potholes, speed bumps, and inclined driveways...
Old 04-17-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

oh man ya gotta go seriously sideways , lol . be glad the xb's have short overhangs , imagine a even more agressive drop on an older long front overhang supra. that gave me my supreme sideways driving style and skills , lol.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, you have way too many cars...

On another note: I don't think these springs settled. It's about the same height as it was when I dropped it. It might have went a bit lower, but from looking at it, it doesn't seem like it has changed.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with the drop im wondering if you can go with 18's 19's with out rubbing issues... what do you guys think?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hrm, the Tanabe DF210s drop about the same and I know someone with those and 18" Motegi FF7s, so I think so!

Of course, I still like small wheels.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

uncompiled, did you have to cut the bump stops at all? is there a way you could post a scan of the instructions? if so thanks in advance and if not thanks anyway for the info!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm really considering either this or the Tien coilovers, but I've had bad experiences with regular coilovers. I'd rather go for a set tuned suspension rather than adjustability.

Does anyone know where's the cheapest site to get these for? Tire rack has them for 615 and I was pretty sure they were much cheaper than that before...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eXciteBox
uncompiled, did you have to cut the bump stops at all? is there a way you could post a scan of the instructions? if so thanks in advance and if not thanks anyway for the info!!!
No, I didn't have to cut the bump stops. There weren't any instructions either... well, there might have been, but if there were, they were in German...

They used to be about $550 from TireRack. I actually paid $560 shipped to my house, but H&R raised their prices.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uncomplied, are you still here? I'd like to ask a few questions because this kit appeals to me.

BTW, I'm on steel with lower than stock tires (195/50/15). I won't be able to close wheel gap all the way because these tires already lower the car 1/2" and also--- increase- wheel gap by the same amount.

But, with a kit like this I can fine tune the drop. My car is stripped of rear seat and runs unloaded of cargo most all the time (just me in the xB).

Q: Do you suppose my xB would be better off with this kit than with any of the drop-in lowering springs?

I can see now that even if I drop two inches (plus the 1/2" drop of the F1 tires), I'll be scraping at times. The adjustable feature should prove its worth, then, to let me tune the height and level as I go along and scrape once in a while.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

R: the H&R Kit is not adjustable. It has lowering springs and new shocks/struts that are designed to work together. This is more appealing to some people than buying a random set of springs and shocks and hoping they work well together, or just putting the lowering springs on the stock dampers.

If you are looking for an adjustable setup, you want to look at coilovers, which is what I have on my car. I have the Tanabe S-OC Type II: http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/s-ocII.asp

The ride height is adjustable with coilovers. Depending on what setup you get, you might be able to fine tune the damping of the shocks as well. Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Kevin! I confess that I missed seeing your input right above my last.

Yes, I think if I were to go the tuned way, I want some adjustablitiy because I don't know how low I can live with.

Those new tires that I'm on already drop the xB 1/2" from the stock height.

yes, the idea of having a drop adjustable +/- the two inch drop appeals to me.

much obliged if you can tell me -how much drop do your Tanabe S-OC Type II's really allow you. According to the webspecs, the rear drop is only, like 1.5". Not enough for me, I think.

cheers,
Reid
Old 06-18-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

tein ss , or cusco vacanza's will drop you nice and low reid. close up that wheel gap nicely.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
tein ss , or cusco vacanza's will drop you nice and low reid. close up that wheel gap nicely.

Dunno, Darren. Being on steel with short tires (195/50/15), there is
an awful lot of gap to close up.

The tires alone increased the gap by a half inch
The car is one half inch lower to the ground already.

May be that I won't find drop greater than Tein S's 1.5" very usable-- so i really don't know how I'll be happiest in the compromising. This is why adjustablity appeals.

-this car is stripped of rear seats and normally carries only myself. If I go adjustable then it will be easy to pick up the rear if i need to load the car for a long trip or that sort of thing.

-I want to keep my car light and nimble but not have it ride too stiff. The F1 tires, being low profile, already give the car a lot of detail in the ride... not objectionable to me at all; but rougher than on the Eagle tires for sure.

--So... am thinking/hoping adjustable coilovers can be found that'll give my relatively stripped xB a flat cornering, taut but not jouncy ride.

In the end I -may just opt for basic springs-. Will always have wheel gap, though.

here- just to show the huge wheel gap off. nevermind the mis-matched cover colors. Was trialing Fusoin paints that day.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reid: Tanabe's site says the rear drop on the S-OCs is only 1.5" but I would say it is more like 2". I didn't measure the height before so I don't know exactly how much mine dropped, but I don't have a big sub box or anything else heavy in the back that would cause the springs to sag.

With my rears adjusted all the way down, my car is as low if not lower out back than many xBs I have seen with regular lowering springs. The ride quality is also much better than stock; the S-OCs are designed for street use.

While the rear is adjusted all the way down out back in this shot, I still have room to go down about another 1/2" up front. This creates a nice front rake. But when the coilovers are slammed down like that, ride quality suffers.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by SciFly
Originally Posted by hotbox05

Dunno, Darren. Being on steel with short tires (195/50/15), there is
an awful lot of gap to close up.

The tires alone increased the gap by a half inch
The car is one half inch lower to the ground already.

May be that I won't find drop greater than Tein S's 1.5" very usable-- so i really don't know how I'll be happiest in the compromising. This is why adjustablity appeals.

-this car is stripped of rear seats and normally carries only myself. If I go adjustable then it will be easy to pick up the rear if i need to load the car for a long trip or that sort of thing.

-I want to keep my car light and nimble but not have it ride too stiff. The F1 tires, being low profile, already give the car a lot of detail in the ride... not objectionable to me at all; but rougher than on the Eagle tires for sure.

--So... am thinking/hoping adjustable coilovers can be found that'll give my relatively stripped xB a flat cornering, taut but not jouncy ride.

In the end I -may just opt for basic springs-. Will always have wheel gap, though.

here- just to show the huge wheel gap off. nevermind the mis-matched cover colors. Was trialing Fusoin paints that day.

vacanza's go over 3 inch in the front and about 3 inch in the rear
Old 06-19-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi Kev,

I see. I have rake in the car now that I don't want. It does not show in that picture. Now that the seat is out I estimate the rear is about an inch higher than the front. Would like to have a level car when done.

Darren: I find a bare mention of vacanzas in this thread.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=vacanza
will look for more. Google does not bring up a hit yet on that name.

am lost in ConfusionLand

but it's ok! fun to be learning from you guys with experience under your belts.

I wonder if your bellies are all scraped up too?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I would have to concur that Tein S-techs drop about 2.2 inches in the front, maybe about 1.7 rear... I've had a few scrapes now on the underside of my front lip. I'm getting 215/45/17 tires that will raise me up half and inch or so, and fill the wheel wells out a tad more.
If you think the S-techs are too low then look into the H-techs.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Cusco Vacanza Wagon coilover kit... http://www.intakeone.com/Cusco/VW_co...Wcoilover.html
Old 06-19-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KingofQueens23
Cusco Vacanza Wagon coilover kit... http://www.intakeone.com/Cusco/VW_co...Wcoilover.html
$$$ spend that looks like sex.

say, I know I'm dense but how are these specs supposed to read (I put the numbers in bold)

Cusco Pillow ball front upper mounts, high performance design.
Spring rates- F: 3.5kgf/mm, R: 3.5kgf/mm.
Height adjustment- F:-80 ~ -45mm, R: -85 ~ -55mm.

does it mean: 45mm. minimum drop/ 80mm. maximum drop?
and in the rear, 55mm. minimum drop/85mm. maximum drop?

Q: what is "pillow ball" vs. standard construction? What's the benefit? Anyone here have pillowball upper mounts?

King, thanks for the lead and info
Old 06-19-2005, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

SciFly I went here... https://www.scionlife.com/parts/?part=10103 for a Review.

PM Username BraveLittleToaster for more info on the Cusco Vacanza Wagon Coilover Kit.

Quick Reply: H&R Cup Kit Review: Pic-Intensive