Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

H&R Cup Kit Review: Pic-Intensive

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by SciFly
Originally Posted by KingofQueens23
Cusco Vacanza Wagon coilover kit... http://www.intakeone.com/Cusco/VW_co...Wcoilover.html
$$$ spend that looks like sex.

say, I know I'm dense but how are these specs supposed to read (I put the numbers in bold)

Cusco Pillow ball front upper mounts, high performance design.
Spring rates- F: 3.5kgf/mm, R: 3.5kgf/mm.
Height adjustment- F:-80 ~ -45mm, R: -85 ~ -55mm.

does it mean: 45mm. minimum drop/ 80mm. maximum drop?
and in the rear, 55mm. minimum drop/85mm. maximum drop?

Q: what is "pillow ball" vs. standard construction? What's the benefit? Anyone here have pillowball upper mounts?

King, thanks for the lead and info
yep u got it right 45-80mm drop. pillowball basically lasts longer than standard rubber strut caps. theyre also camber plates. so you get camberplates in addition to coilovers.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey SciFly, you're probably not gonna want to the get H&R cup kit, because there is a definate rake to it...

... also, you've got a lot of work to get rid of that wheel gap. Cusco is reputable and the camber plates are definately an added bonus. Pillowball mounts are going to give you a little more road feel. They're not as compliant as the standard mounts, so as long as you're not worried about ride quality, go for it.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks again for these inputs.

So, the pillowball mounts give me control of the neg. camber I get from dropping? That means a lot, right? Camber increases in direct proportion to drop?

When we lower without the pillowball mounts, then you what?gotta have camber kit and where does that go?

-i don't want to wear you out with basic questions. Isn't there some sort of informational article on the web about how these things work? Starting with stock struts and going deep into the finer kinds of replacements.

dizzed!
reid
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

pillowball mounts are basically an aluminum replacement for the upper strut mount. stock mounts have rubber in them and the rubber flexes which affects your handling, side effect is a firmer/harsher ride and usually a slight "clunking" noise over bumps. the mounts prevents your alignment from changing under hard cornering. camber plates or pillowball mounts , have the adjustment ability to change your camber by sliding the top of the strut, in, towards the engine for negative camber and ,out, towards the fender for positive camber. another way to adjust camber on a macpherson strut is adjustment bolts, . quote from tirerack.com "Replaces either the top or both the top and bottom strut-to-spindle mounting bolt(s). Positive or negative camber adjustments are possible by positioning the FastCam finger tab (located near the head of the bolt and stamped with a number). Finger tab of the upper bolt faces twoard the engine for negative camber changes, outward for positive. Simply rotation the head of the FastCam will adjust camber +-1deg. For extra camber adjustment, the lower bolt weill be positioned and simultaneously adjusted (rotated) opposite of the top to achieve +-2deg total adjustment." the last way i know but not the safest is slotting the strut
. quote from se-r.net "Where the arrow points, slot the hole it goes through in the strut (not the hub). The bottom of the strut usually has one or two bolts attaching to the somewhat square bracket on the strut. The bolts run along the horizontal axis parallel to the ground. The idea is to put a slot with some arc to it so that the suspension is allowed to pivot on the strut, thus giving you a camber setting.
If you do this, make sure you tighten the bolt up very tight so it doesn't slip...." not the best way but its free. oh, yeah there is another way. you can actuallty slot the holes in the strut towers to allow more camber but i really don't recommend that at all.

macphereson struts(scion's) do not usually camber as much as a double wishbone(honda) setup. thats why nissans, scions, etc. do not have crazy negative camber like hondas do when slammed.

the reason cars have neg. camber when you lower them is because its built in to the suspension geometry. yes, it is supposed to camber under load . as in cornering, but not designed to be that way all the time, as in drop springs. imagine this is the bottom of your tire(really quick and ghetto) that contacts the road while driving in a straight line. l__l when you are cornering the suspension underload will compress causing negative camber. the tire will actually look like this /__/ . the suspension, on the other side of the car not underload will depress and cause positive camber. the camber lets the tire stay in full contact w/ the road. now when you drop a car you are simulating the suspension under load at all times, which in turn causes negative camber at all times. hope this answers your question.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're not into camber, it is almost negligable for the xB suspension. I think mine was about -1 degree of camber after lowering 2.2". On my Integra, it was like -3 degrees after a 2.5" drop.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah xb's dont get much camber which is good. but yes ithe camber plates can negate that .