Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

HELP! My xB is WAY too rough of a ride!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default HELP! My xB is WAY too rough of a ride!

I've searched through the forum and can't really find any posts.answers regarding this...

I just got a new xB and can feel EVERY little crack and bump in the pavement that I drive over. Having previously owned a Toyota Celica, I thought the ride would be similar, but it's not. I mean the ride is SO stiff and bouncy that I can't even manage the radio correctly because my finger keeps hitting the wrong buttons due to the bouncing around. I feel like I'm riding on my rims or something! I know a lot of you guys are into modifying your xB to make it "sportier" (i.e. even more "rough" by my standards), but I'm an older guy and simply want some advice on how to make my xB SMOOTHER and softer ride. I don't want to lower it anymore than it already is. We have enough high curbs and sharply inclined driveways in SoCal... don't want to scrape anything.

Does anybody have any advice on how to make this xB float like a butterfly? New tires? New shocks? New "springs" (is that another term you guys use for shock absorbers? See how lame I am? I don't even know that much!)
Old 03-30-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try checking the air pressure... i remember upon delivery the ride home was fairly harsh... i checked the pressure and it was around 35 psi... i dropped it to the recommended psi (i think it's 29 psi?) and the ride was much smoother...

hope this helps...
Old 03-30-2005, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, what spring/strut setup you have on there?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its factory springs and shocks. some poeple got Tein springs to lower the xB and give it a smoother ride. it will be stiff for a while biu after a while you wont notice it. im still running stock rollers and suspension @ 32K and it seems to have smoothed out. but once i get my coil overs......... watch out teeth!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member

I am not sure about aftermarket shocks and struts... but Scion produces a "more complient" set of shocks and struts for $329.00

Here is a link to their website

http://www.scion.com/drive/accessori...ery/index.html

Just click on the performance tab, then click the struts/shocks kit link.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:15 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Scion has published that the stock shocks and struts are 60% stiffer to give the car more response and somehow is tuned for US roads.

I'd say replace shocks and struts if you don't want to lower your car, but I have no clue how this will affect cornering or handling.

To answer your earlier question, springs are just that, big springs, not a term for shocks or struts. The springs are compression springs, basically the opposite of a slinky. In their rest position, they do not sit with the coils touching each other like a slinky does. They fight both compressing and stretching. Here is a picture of some springs:

Lowering a car (often) involves replacing the springs to let the car sit lower. Usually they are 'stiffer' (meaning they take more force to compress, which is necessary to keep the car from bottoming out, and is usually felt as a rougher ride.) Since you are in SoCal, where there are thousands of these things, I would recommend searching this board for a nearby meet and asking for a ride. Couldn't hurt.

Very basically put, springs are what support the car from the wheel area. Shocks and struts are dampers which stop the springs from bouncing around. Without shocks, when you hit a bump, your car would bounce up and down for a while. That's also how you know your shocks or struts have gone bad: when you hit a bump, you keep bouncing. Fortunately, you shouldn't have to worry about that for many, many thousands of miles.

Hope this helps both your decision and your understanding of the systems out there. Let me know if you need further help.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I must be the only xB owner that sees an improvement. The ride beats a Ford Ranger FWD 4-banger.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe I missed it, but what wheel and tire size are you running? So many xBs are sold with 18/19s right off the lot...

If so going to a stock 15" wheel and tire setup will soak up alot of the road...

Mine is bone stock and I think it's a nice ride...but then again my last car was a Lancer Evo so I guess that's not saying much
Old 03-30-2005, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member

Boy, I just put on some S-Techs last weekend and they seem a bit softer in some ways than my stockers ? Initially I mean with the first bit of travel, then firm toward the bottom. Maybe I'm nuts but a bit more body roll as well. I figured they would be harsh but thier not. Anybody have the same experience or is it just me ? I think they are a very nice ride considering the lowering etc. Very happy with them.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: HELP! My xB is WAY too rough of a ride!

Originally Posted by Logline
I've searched through the forum and can't really find any posts.answers regarding this...

I just got a new xB and can feel EVERY little crack and bump in the pavement that I drive over. Having previously owned a Toyota Celica, I thought the ride would be similar, but it's not. I mean the ride is SO stiff and bouncy that I can't even manage the radio correctly because my finger keeps hitting the wrong buttons due to the bouncing around. I feel like I'm riding on my rims or something! I know a lot of you guys are into modifying your xB to make it "sportier" (i.e. even more "rough" by my standards), but I'm an older guy and simply want some advice on how to make my xB SMOOTHER and softer ride. I don't want to lower it anymore than it already is. We have enough high curbs and sharply inclined driveways in SoCal... don't want to scrape anything.

Does anybody have any advice on how to make this xB float like a butterfly? New tires? New shocks? New "springs" (is that another term you guys use for shock absorbers? See how lame I am? I don't even know that much!)
Didnt you test drive one first? If its that bad in your opinion, then why did you get it? Just curious...
Old 03-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have the Hotchkis and the ride seems a little improved, handling greatly improved. But as the poster mentioned, steep driveways are definitely an issue... had to break out some 2x12's this weekend.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you are staying on a budget a set of softer springs willl help. Definately also check the tire pressure thing.

I'd say the springs I'd look at depend on how much of a drop and pricing are:

tein H-tech - slight drop
tanabe NF210 - moderate drop
RS*R down - moderate deep drop
kg/mm dr-proceed S - very slight drop

if you get springs do some research on the board to see what ppl have said about them. the downside is... you may get more body roll.

replacing the shocks should also help... either softer ones or an adjustable set.

After that not much more can be done unless you are willing to spring 1k or more...
Old 03-30-2005, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks all (especially Max) for the explanations and possible solutions. I'll definitely check my tire pressure tomorrow and look into softer springs & shocks.

To answer one of the other poster's questions: yes, of course I test drove it before buying, but for some reason, we didn't notice the rigidity/bouncing as much. Perhaps it's because the roads are very well-paved (glassy smooth) near the car dealership where I live. On certain roads with a few patched-up potholes, the ride is VERY rough and I feel like I could feel every pebble in the asphalt.

I bought this xB for comfort and not for speed. I wouldn't mind doing a "little" bit of inexpensive modification to make it feel like a big-boat Caddillac or something with an extra-smooooooth ride. I imagine myself running over a Aztek salesman and turning to my wife: "Honey, did you feel something?"
Old 03-30-2005, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Thanks Chimmy!

I'll look into those suggestions too. How much money are we talking here though?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The XB definately 'aint no Cadillac.....It's a small, Japanese car, how soft do you expect the ride to be? My suggestion? Sell it and get something with a "softer" suspension. IMO I don't think revising the suspension with anything in the aftermarket will help make the ride more "plush". Most probably more stiff...
Ed
Old 03-30-2005, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Just get some tein h techs , 1 inch lower and alot softer/more comfortable
Old 03-30-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

springs will run you about 150-180... depends on the set.
the kg/mm will run a bit more since they are imports. Like hotbox05 says Tein H is what most ppl go for. Lots of good comments on this board about them. But the top three springs I listed can all be found for close to 175 shipped.

Shocks/Struts will run you a bit more...
the trd set will run you just about under 300 shipped.
there are no adjustable ones specific for xBs .. you'll have to get echo ones. They'll run you about 400+ usually..
Old 03-30-2005, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I agree... H-techs are the way to go. Softer rider and a better stance. Can't ask for more.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 AM
Banned
SL Member

This guy doesn't sound like the type who wants to drop his car 1.5-2.0 inches and scrape the front bumper on curbs.

The best solution would be to throw some Echo springs on there. Probably be cheaper too. The Echo springs are considerably softer than the xB ones. It would ride more like the JDM model because the springs and spring rates are about the same.

The answer for this guy is TOYOTA ECHO SPRINGS

Quick Reply: HELP! My xB is WAY too rough of a ride!