Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

How can you make the xB more sure-footed on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default How can you make the xB more sure-footed on the road?

I know Mini Coopers and xBs are two different cars, but I was wondering if there are any modifications that could be done to the xB to make its steering more firm like that of a Mini.

When you drive a Mini, you feel like you're planted to the road. I don't know whether it's due to the lower center of gravity, the overall suspension, or the actual tires on the car, but when I've driven the Mini it feels like the steering is much more firm than any other car I've driven. You can take your finger and try to push the steering wheel to one side or the other and with a Mini, it will not move much, but if you do that to an xB, the steering wheel will move easily, making it seem less in control and sure-footed than the Mini.

When you do move the steering wheel of a Mini while driving and then let go of it, it practically moves back to the center position keeping the car moving in a straight direction. If you try this with an xB, the car will continue going in the direction in which you turned the wheel. This difference seems to make it feel like the xB floats more on the road while the Mini is secure and steady.

Does this make any sense? Any ideas for how to improve the feeling that the xB is planted to the road and won't just veer off with the push of a finger?

Thanks,
Old 03-19-2004, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd venture to say that the Cooper feels like that because it's designed and built by BMW, the benchmark when it comes to crisp and communicative steering, and the Scion is build by Toyota, the masters of numb steering in almost all of their vehicles.

A lot of it has to do with the types of steering systems used. The cooper is a driver's car, it's very communicative about what is going on with the vehicle.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Cooper is certainly a better and more advanced design intended for enthusiasts but there are some things that can be done to help the Scions considerably. Lowering spings, sway bars, aftermarket wheel/tire combs, and Koni struts/shocks will make a vast improvement in the way it feels.

ken
Old 03-19-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I lowered mine 2" with goldlines and put 16x7 et25 wheels and 205/50R16 tires on it.. I think it might be the offset more than anything, but it made the steering feel way different. More "inerta". IE, it wants to stay more in the direction it's going.. Which makes it feel like the power steering has less assist, which makes it feel like you're more in control. The lower center of gravity and wider tires and stance all added up to something though.

I don't think the feel is due to more wieght in the wheel , as the aftermarkets should be lighter than the steelies.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by kdanie
The Cooper is certainly a better and more advanced design intended for enthusiasts but there are some things that can be done to help the Scions considerably. Lowering spings, sway bars, aftermarket wheel/tire combs, and Koni struts/shocks will make a vast improvement in the way it feels.

ken
to add to the list, you can move the battery to the rear and get it corner weighted. It would balance some of the slop but design of the rear suspension limits us .
Old 03-19-2004, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the first and most drastic step yu can take to improve handling is to invest in a sticky set of tires.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How can you make the xB more sure-footed on the road?

that steering returning to center thing you mention is probably due to caster. Im not sure the caster is adjustable on the scion. Youd have to build or find some caster plates.

the general feel of the mini suspension is due to many factors.

If you want a firmer feel in general, Id reccomend the TRD springs and shocks. Pretty easy to install yourself, not so low that you have rubbing problems, and the car ends up very balanced.

Originally Posted by Dylan
I know Mini Coopers and xBs are two different cars, but I was wondering if there are any modifications that could be done to the xB to make its steering more firm like that of a Mini.

When you drive a Mini, you feel like you're planted to the road. I don't know whether it's due to the lower center of gravity, the overall suspension, or the actual tires on the car, but when I've driven the Mini it feels like the steering is much more firm than any other car I've driven. You can take your finger and try to push the steering wheel to one side or the other and with a Mini, it will not move much, but if you do that to an xB, the steering wheel will move easily, making it seem less in control and sure-footed than the Mini.

When you do move the steering wheel of a Mini while driving and then let go of it, it practically moves back to the center position keeping the car moving in a straight direction. If you try this with an xB, the car will continue going in the direction in which you turned the wheel. This difference seems to make it feel like the xB floats more on the road while the Mini is secure and steady.

Does this make any sense? Any ideas for how to improve the feeling that the xB is planted to the road and won't just veer off with the push of a finger?

Thanks,
Old 04-02-2004, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member

I have driven the Scion Xb with TRD 18's and TRD Springs and it feels way more direct and planted.
We will be getting that done on Monday.
Taking the Toaster to NY for a wedding this weekend...put some miles on her.

The White-Box :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Old 04-02-2004, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How can you make the xB more sure-footed on the road?

Is "caster" the same as "camber?"

If so, ScionVan is doing some work on possibly producing front and rear camber plates. The Featured ride this month has rear camber plates it and i believe is waiting to test front camber plates as sson as they become available.

Seems like all the VIP bB's in japan to have mad front and rear camber. I wonder if they have that Cooper "feel" you mention?

M@/Van are you out there?

Al.Truistic
aB

Originally Posted by jackmott
that steering returning to center thing you mention is probably due to caster. Im not sure the caster is adjustable on the scion. Youd have to build or find some caster plates.

the general feel of the mini suspension is due to many factors.

If you want a firmer feel in general, Id reccomend the TRD springs and shocks. Pretty easy to install yourself, not so low that you have rubbing problems, and the car ends up very balanced.

Originally Posted by Dylan

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2004, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

caster is moving your wheel further ahead and further behind.

tension rods on say, a 240sx, moves the front wheels further forward or further back.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hotchkis has released a full suspension system for the scions. it has sway bars, springs a couple other things. you can definately try that.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hotchkis has released a full suspension system for the scions. it has sway bars, springs a couple other things. you can definitely try that.
I bet they work great, but good luck getting your hands on one though. My Hotchkis sways have been on back order for seven weeks through hopupracing. I called Hotchkis and they said that they were two or three weeks away from getting more xB sways off the line (this was like a week and a half ago).
Old 05-07-2004, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member

:twisted: Okay first It will never be a MINI they are pure incredible handlers on a race track or autocross you woudnt stand a chance. BUT...... for the street XB-XA you really can come very close. you pretty much have to have a least 17s as it just looks ridiculous with anything smaller, smaller tires will handle better though. second DO NOT lower your car 2" youll bump steer right off the road if you drive (stupid speeds )...( IM STUPID). they look better with a 2' drop but do not handle as well. Here is what I have switched to it radical but works great you wont be dissapointed with any thing close to this set-up. Lightweight 17" 11.5 lb centerline RPMs pain in the ___ to modify but you think Volks are light and strong these rims put them to shame. I now run some hand me down Hoosier R3S03 205/40 road race tires not recomended for street but stick like glue, Im on my second set in less than 2800 miles I get them from my freind who races a MINI ...ironic. Hotchkis bars w springs and custom fabricated tokiko 5-ways. You wouldnt know it by looking at it but its just about the best handling car Ive ever had and Ive had quite a few. Next Id like to try the BLITZ S/C the on off capability is just too cool to pass up, we think with lower compression and a custom different diameter pulley(problems) one might be able to get an honest 50 h.p. gain over stock and still get good milage and almost stock reliability. might one day have my cake and eat it too. :twisted: