Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

I need help from air ride/suspension gurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Jim said that there is zero return pressure with the bag fully deflated...the return pressure is dictated by the amount of pressure in the bag; which makes sense to me. My concern is the one strut I have that has a ton of return pressure even without the bag installed on it.

Regardless, the new end-link bushings seemed to have solved my squeaking problem when turning the steering wheel, but I do really think that the driver side air strut is bad. It continues to have maximum pressure when returning to full extension and sometimes when I roll over a bump in the road that strut makes a loud pounding sound when it returns to height, like there is no dampening on the return stroke.

I'm going to give it a couple more days to see if it quits, but then I'm sending it in to easystreet to see if they can run it through their paces and see if they encounter the same thing I do.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

any progress?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Well, the squeaking continues to have subsided, but I'm still getting noise from the driver side strut. I haven't had time to take that strut off again to see if there is still lots of return pressure in it. I think it'll be this weekend before I can get to it. If there is still return pressure in that strut rod, it's definitely going to be sent back to easystreet.

I didn't keep updating this thread as I didn't think anyone was following it. I'll make sure and keep updating it as things happen.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

still holding out for an update
Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

LOL, well as usual my weekend was filled with running kids & wife different places and I didn't have time once again to tear the front suspension apart. I'm HOPING this weekend it'll happen...........but I guess I won't know until then for sure!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Okay, after a LONG delay....here's what I'm up against. I have patiently been waiting for over a month for the air pressure built up in the driver side strut to work it's way out, but it seems to be doing the opposite. There is now so much return pressure/force in this strut that I have trouble compressing it. It takes nearly all my strength to compress the air strut down far enough so that it can be removed from the car.

I am contacting Jim with Easystreet first Monday morning to see what can be done and to see if he can test this strut out to confirm what I'm finding. There is something definitely wrong with this strut but the bad part is that my car will be on jackstands until this is resolved as I don't have any spare air struts
Old 04-29-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

I am sure you have a bad strut. I would insist they just replace it. They have had problems with those struts since day one. I've got one on my shelf that is completely seized.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Spider: thanks for the reply. Since it appears you have experience with these struts, do you remember what type of return force (dampening) the air struts that you use have? What I mean is, when you compress the strut rod (not the bag), does the rod return to full extended position or does it basically stay wherever it is when you quit pushing?

I'm trying to get all my facts in line so that I can be as knowledgeable as possible to pursue this further. I want to make sure and get it resolved as quickly as possible as the show season is about to start and this will already make me miss at least one show.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

if I remember right they stayed where you put them. You had to actually pull them back up. If it did come back up on its own it was very slowly. Although I can say, it was almost effortless to lift them back up, with the **** on the loosest setting.

Have you made sure both damper adjustment ***** are in the same position?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Well, it's funny you should mention that, Spider. I was just out messing around with things and I am unable to turn the damper adjustment **** on the strut that is giving me problems. It's like it's stuck and won't turn at all. I wonder if that is related to what's going on maybe?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Thats weird. Mine just lick around like there isn't anything behind it....I think you need to get yours replaced.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That's what I thought. The passenger side **** clicks around like it's supposed to. The driver side one is stuck. I'm going to mention all this to easystreet as well.

Thanks again for responding.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I called Easystreet just a little bit ago to talk to Jim Bigford and got his voicemail. He's taken a different position in the company and is no longer affiliated with the easystreet line. So I got transferred to a Cory (can't recall his last name). I explained my situation in it's entirety to him and he said there is definitely something wrong with the strut and it sounds like a blown seal. A new one will be shipped out to me today! (for $10 shipping and a $100 deposit refunded when I return the old strut).
Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM
RMS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is good to hear, since I am about ready to pull the trigger on a set.
I talked with Cory last week about these struts. He said they are Rancho's.
Good luck and thanks for the updates!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

I am glad they are doing right, but I think it sucks they are making you pay shipping on their mistake. I can understand the $100 to get the old one back, but they should eat the shipping.

But I guess that gets expensive when they replace as many as they do.....

Oh well good luck with the new ones.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

RMS: I'm hoping what they send me matches the one I'm not replacing.....if they've switched types this could be not good. I guess I'll see.

Spider: Yeah, I was a little frustrated by the shipping, but it was just such a surprise to have him quickly say they were going to replace it that I wasn't going to fuss over 10 bucks.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Yeah, if they are using Ranchos now they have changed the front struts too. When I bought mine I was told they were tokico.... I think mine are stamped tokico as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 AM

i have heard alot of bad things about easy street but its really our only option. so far from what i have been reading a couple of years ago they had to replace just about every single one that they sent out i think i read that it was the coating on the strut that was making them seize. if your damper is not turning i would imagine that your strut was not to far from completly lockin up so its a good thing you got it taken care of.

i agree that they should eat the shipping cost on it especially since your car is down till they can send the replacement but like you said sending out that many strutbags would almost make you go bankrupt.

i dont have any experiance with air on a scion but i had cylinders on my accord so i can help with some air questions. i am going to be bagging mine in about 2 or 3 months hopefully. keep us updated with what happens.