Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

monroe shocks=drop???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.partsamerica.com has the 5987 for 29.00 a piece with free shipping
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member

hi, I am new to the forum. I have been reading about all the monroe post on the forum cuz I would like a better ride in my box. I have several questions about the shocks, hopefully people can help me out.

1) should i change to the monroe shocks to the rear only or should i do the front as well?

2) I want to improve the ride but I don't want to lower the box, if I use the monroe shocks and stock springs, will that lower the car?(I see on other post that it might lower the car by half a inch in the front, I can live with that, but is that true?)

3)will I need an alignment after I change the shocks?

4)I keep on seeing people talking about Monroe shocks and struts, what is struts? do I need that as well to improve the quality of the ride?

5)I see different part numbers for the monroe shocks on the froum, can someone tell me what is the part number for the front, and what is the part number for the back? I have a 2006 if that helps?

Thanks for reading my long a$$ questions, any input is appreciated, thanks a lot
Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stock springs are linear rate and generally suck. Get some Tein H-tech springs for comfort (but minimal dropage) and Monroes all around for a controlled ride and you'll be set You shouldn't need an alignment if they are installed correctly.
BTW, struts are the fronts, and shocks are for the rear.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by garyxb
hi, I am new to the forum. I have been reading about all the monroe post on the forum cuz I would like a better ride in my box. I have several questions about the shocks, hopefully people can help me out.

1) should i change to the monroe shocks to the rear only or should i do the front as well?

2) I want to improve the ride but I don't want to lower the box, if I use the monroe shocks and stock springs, will that lower the car?(I see on other post that it might lower the car by half a inch in the front, I can live with that, but is that true?)

4)I keep on seeing people talking about Monroe shocks and struts, what is struts? do I need that as well to improve the quality of the ride?

5)I see different part numbers for the monroe shocks on the froum, can someone tell me what is the part number for the front, and what is the part number for the back? I have a 2006 if that helps?

Thanks for reading my long a$$ questions, any input is appreciated, thanks a lot
Judging by your request I would start with just a pair of rear shocks. Monroe part number 5987. Many have stated that simply by changing the rear shocks (less than 1/2 hour job for the non-mechanically inclined) has made a huge difference in how the car rides. You might like the way it rides with just that change and there will be no need for swapping out struts and changing springs.

Then again if you are still unsatisfied you can swap out spring for something with a better ride. The front struts would probably be one of the last things I changed.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Monroe Shocks

got mine sat. it's been raining ever since can't wait for a dry day so I can throw them on. looking forward to the smoother ride in the rear. will post back when i have them on
Old 06-06-2006, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks Rton20s, I just order a pair of 5987s from Kragens for $37.99 each,and I am gonna try to install them this weekend. If I like the ride, I think i am gonna change out the front ones as well, at that time I will measure the ride height before and after the install to see if there is a half inch drop in the front.

oh, and I got one more question. is there any write-up on how to install the Monroe shocks, I searched all over SL but I only found the KONI shocks write-up in the Tech section .

Can someone please let me if there is a write-up for the Monroe shocks on XB somewhere on the forum???

thanks....
Old 06-21-2006, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member

Default xb Suspension & Handling

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Changing out the rear shocks on the xB is probably one of the easiest modifications to do. If you had a shop do it I would be extremely upset to see anything more than their minimum charge. Probably less than 1/2 hour time.

And the correct shock will have a loop on the body end and the threaded rod on the shaft end.
Thanks RT for the advice. I had my TRD Anti Sway Bar and the Monroe Sensa Tracs installed last weekend. A much smoother ride and the xB takes corners flatter.

OldT
Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Originally Posted by garyxb

Judging by your request I would start with just a pair of rear shocks. Monroe part number 5987. Many have stated that simply by changing the rear shocks (less than 1/2 hour job for the non-mechanically inclined) has made a huge difference in how the car rides. You might like the way it rides with just that change and there will be no need for swapping out struts and changing springs.

Then again if you are still unsatisfied you can swap out spring for something with a better ride. The front struts would probably be one of the last things I changed.
yep fronts should be the last thing.....
Old 06-22-2006, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default monroe shocks

Changed my rear shocks two weeks ago didn't notice any real difference the first couple of days ,must be a break-in period. I can now tell a big difference in the ride. I wish I had known sooner. Installed them my self, 15 minutes start to finish for both shocks. It still amazes me how easy the box is to work on. it.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tdub57, is the install the same as the koni in the tech section? Sears just quoted me $100 for install on rears, $100 on fronts. riiiiidiculous! i wanna do this myself but am kind of a broke-chanic.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is the same, chiburu
Old 06-24-2006, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks a lot pballplayer18!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hope it works out for you man, the worst thing is to spend time and money and not like it.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by chiburu
tdub57, is the install the same as the koni in the tech section? Sears just quoted me $100 for install on rears, $100 on fronts. riiiiidiculous! i wanna do this myself but am kind of a broke-chanic.
Hi Okinawan, hit us up at scionevolution.org Hawaii chapter. Im sure we can have a install party. Trust me it is sooooo easy to do. if you want to pay anything just bring us a case of beer and some poke. just make sure when you post up there, introduce yourself first.
Aloha
Old 06-26-2006, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chagan Ju craigxb, I'm assuming you are Okinawan too. Thanks for the offer I might just do that. First I gotta order the sensa tracs from Checkers. Their price was better than Napa. Its pretty sad that no one stocks them here. I noticed you are a fellow Mililanian. I live Mauka. I have a dirty BSP w/LED tails and tiny 15" Rotas. I hope to run 17s soon.
Shoots den.
Mahalos \m/
Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok... been noticing lately that my rear shocks/springs are squeekin and creakin more often than not when moving...ok if the xB is being rocked at a stand still, beleive music and road noise covers it up while in motion.

anyways.. after getting my speaker box put in last november.. my car got a noticable reverse rake... rear sitting lower than front now.. no doubt caused by the weight of the box. currently sitting on stock shocks and Tein S-tech springs.

since i'm pretty sure the shocks are near death, and riding probably closer to full compression full time than they should. would sensa-tracs be a good option to replace stocks with AND help restore the stance to at least level, if not slight front rake? also been thinking that putting stock springs back in the rear would help the prob at least temporarily.

or would the shocks just continue to be at a more compressed rate with the s-techs due to the weight of the box??

other recomendations that would work?

below a couple pics... one is the cause of the issue, other is of profile of car... even on slight incline you can tell(sorta) by the wheel gap that the rear is lower than front.

kinda dark but only current profile pic that i can find at the moment
Old 06-26-2006, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shocks will not adjust the height of your car the springs do that. the shorter shocks will provide a nicer ride for your box but it will not alter the vehicles height in any way.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm... sounds like i'll be goin back to stock rear springs then... as well as some new shocks...

was hopeful...lol
Old 06-27-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could always go with adjustable coilovers or airride. I had the same dillema, I have the airrunner system with KYB lowfer sports shocks in the rear. raising the back is just a flip of a switch.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

air ride would be nice... but not enuff $$ at the moment....

Quick Reply: monroe shocks=drop???