Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Monroe Shocks..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Monroe Shocks..

What rear shocks will make my car lower?
The Toyota Echo or Scion xA?

Phil from FBI gave me part number 5870 (what car is this for xA?)
I see part number 5987 for Toyota Echo on other post.

Thanks!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-14-2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shocks arent gonna lower your car. Only springs will do that.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5870 is the correct number. I am not sure which application those shocks were originally designed for. If you are looking to cross reference this with another brand you can find the shock specifications on Monroe's website.

The shock uses an "S4" (3/8" - 16 Stem) upper mount and an "L1" (5/8" diameter 1 5/16" width Loop) lower mount. The compressed and extended heights are 14.250" and 23.875" respectively allowing 9.625" of travel. Look for similar specs from another brand if that is what you are looking to do.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I ordered 5987 (for the echo) for my xB. They're supposed to lower the car an additional 1/2" because the shock is shorter. I'll let you know when I get them on.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info everybody...

I got the Monroe 5870 rear shocks put on today. They lowered my car only about 2 or 3cm if that, lol. They ride really smooth. It was a big change from the stock shocks.

Scarlet, let me know how your Echo shocks do....
Old 05-18-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

the only time these shocks lower your car is with bags.... the stockers will bottom out before the bags are fully deflated. So the stocks hold the rear up like an inch/inch and a half. I actually got Monroes from a Sienna minivan. there shorther than the 5870s, w/ not as much travel. Reason i did this is because my rear would go to high at full lift and put my front bumper on the ground WAY to early in the travel. Now the lift is equal both front and back. Heres a pic at full drop...

How low can YOU go ?!? -Mikey
Old 05-18-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't read the first post too well I suppose. And Madddsciontist is correct. These will only let you drop lower if you are on adjustable suspension. I made the assumption that the O.P. was asking about an air suspension application because he referenced Phil at FBI.

Also, for Scarlet, the rear shocks do not lower the car at all with standard coils. Only the Monroe front struts will lower the car 1/2". This is because the Monroe strut body for the Echo is slightly shorter than the factory strut body.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I changed my rear stockers out for monroes and the car sat about 1/2 inch lower after the change. I know people say that a shock can't do that but it did also gave a much softer ride. I have also heard the same about the front monroe struts
Old 05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TA2DBOX
I changed my rear stockers out for monroes and the car sat about 1/2 inch lower after the change. I know people say that a shock can't do that but it did also gave a much softer ride. I have also heard the same about the front monroe struts
That's interesting... did you use the shorter shock or the standard ones?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ONLY WAY, I repeat ONLY WAY that is possible is if your car was lowered and the stock shocks were already reaching their compression limit when the car was not in motion. The likelihood of this is very slim.

What is more likely is that somehow your rear springs weren't seated properly and when you did the shock install they settled back into place. Suggesting that a shock alone lowered a car when the previous shocks were not resting on their compression limit is like suggesting that a shock holds your car up. Even the stiffest shocks in the world would eventually compress under the weight of the vehicle. Yes, even one as light as our little boxes.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm going to measure my car's height b4 and after installing my Monroes and we'll see.....
Old 05-22-2006, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
The ONLY WAY, I repeat ONLY WAY that is possible is if your car was lowered and the stock shocks were already reaching their compression limit when the car was not in motion. The likelihood of this is very slim.

What is more likely is that somehow your rear springs weren't seated properly and when you did the shock install they settled back into place. Suggesting that a shock alone lowered a car when the previous shocks were not resting on their compression limit is like suggesting that a shock holds your car up. Even the stiffest shocks in the world would eventually compress under the weight of the vehicle. Yes, even one as light as our little boxes.
The car is lowered w34K and the springs were seated properly before and after the change. Actually I went and swapped with a buddy of mine w 40k on his stockers and his car sat about 1/2 lower in the rear, after driving. I would have not noticed that little of a difference but I had a several rubbing issue on the rear after I put on the monroes just pulling out of my drive way. So there has to be some difference besides just being a softer shock. But this is just what I have seen with this particular set of monroes,so who knows
Old 05-29-2006, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Final Drop: 1.75" front - 1.5" rear

Springs: Tein h.tech
Shocks/struts: Monroes

Ride is softer than stock. Stance looks great. As you know, h.techs are supposed to drop only 1.1" front and .9" rear which would mean a shorter shock/strut will lower the car further.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RTon20s is right...your car should sit at the same height even if you totally remove the shocks.

The reason there is confusion in this thread is because the FRONT Monroes for the Echo actually move the spring seat down farther, which means the spring didn't compress more but the car still got lower. The rear springs don't sit on the shocks so the height will not change UNLESS your stock shocks just have so much pressure that they're able to hold the weight of the car. That's really not even remotely likely.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

1, Non-mechanically inclined individual.
2, Monroe 5987 shocks at O'Reilly Auto, 32.87 each.
3, Bumpy railroad tracks on the way to work
6, Minutes for each side to replace stock shocks.
1, Lifetime of smoother ride.

It really made a difference for something so simple.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are now $30 each at www.partsamerica.com and free shipping since the entire order would be over $50.

I wasn't even planning on doing this but Looney made it sound so easy, I'm going to pick a set up.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Looney
1, Non-mechanically inclined individual.
2, Monroe 5987 shocks at O'Reilly Auto, 32.87 each.
3, Bumpy railroad tracks on the way to work
6, Minutes for each side to replace stock shocks.
1, Lifetime of smoother ride.

It really made a difference for something so simple.
did you just replace the rears? fronts aren't necessary to improve ride?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i dont think so. the engine weight helps the front. If you hit a big bump or RR crossing, its a shock to the system, but for just riding on the road, its a huge improvement for 20 minutes of your life.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by TA2DBOX
Originally Posted by RTon20s

The car is lowered w34K and the springs were seated properly before and after the change. Actually I went and swapped with a buddy of mine w 40k on his stockers and his car sat about 1/2 lower in the rear, after driving. I would have not noticed that little of a difference but I had a several rubbing issue on the rear after I put on the monroes just pulling out of my drive way. So there has to be some difference besides just being a softer shock. But this is just what I have seen with this particular set of monroes,so who knows
Yep..it was my car...and yes it dropped a bit.....we both saw it
Old 06-16-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm droped on TEIN S-Techs right now and i find it bumpy sometimes. will Monroe shocks (front and back) imporve my ride quality? where can i find some for my 2006 xB? all the sites i have been searching has had no results. do i have to look for the shocks under a different car name? can someone post a link?

oh, and will the shocks lower the car more? (the s-techs lowered my car more than i expected. it's pretty low.)

thanks!

Quick Reply: Monroe Shocks..