Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Monroe Shocks..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

monroe ts 5987 shocks. any auto store can have/get them. they are from the 2001 Echo if they are searching for the part.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'veheard that the monroes do lower in the front. I believe the overall length is shorter, not effecting the suspension cycle. remember you are comparing 2 diiferent shock deigns, with the monroes not officially a replacement fit.

But yes on the exact same shock, ONLY springs effect ride height.

Later
Old 06-22-2006, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by STLBOX
I'veheard that the monroes do lower in the front. I believe the overall length is shorter, not effecting the suspension cycle. remember you are comparing 2 diiferent shock deigns, with the monroes not officially a replacement fit.

But yes on the exact same shock, ONLY springs effect ride height.

Later
that is as stated before incorrect... mine sits lower and I can prove it.....the gas pressure in the shock is the difference ...it has nothing to do with length
Old 06-23-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have tryed to find a pair monoes 5987, but the places i tryed is telling me that, monroes dont have em anymore...( AUTOBARN-)
can I use the 5870's ??? what car are these for ???

Thanks....
Keith.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Keith
I have tryed to find a pair monoes 5987, but the places i tryed is telling me that, monroes dont have em anymore...( AUTOBARN-)
can I use the 5870's ??? what car are these for ???

Thanks....
Keith.
i got the 5870's on my xb with df210 and they ride find especially on san diego roads!!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by sikbrik
RTon20s is right...your car should sit at the same height even if you totally remove the shocks.

The reason there is confusion in this thread is because the FRONT Monroes for the Echo actually move the spring seat down farther, which means the spring didn't compress more but the car still got lower. The rear springs don't sit on the shocks so the height will not change UNLESS your stock shocks just have so much pressure that they're able to hold the weight of the car. That's really not even remotely likely.
After reading this nonsense about different shocks on the rear having ANYTHING to do with ride height I had to speak up. If changing rear shocks changed your ride height your tape measure is either broken or someone can't read it right PERIOD. The minimal amount of pressure a shock puts on a suspension is NOT enough to change ride height unless they were air shocks
Old 07-08-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rockauto.com has the 5987's for $29.79 + shipping now. partamerica.com has them for $34.44 each, buy 2 and get shipping free (over $50). so toss up for me between the 2 places.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had Sensa-Trac shocks on the rear of my xB. It did not....I repeat, DID NOT....sit so much as a mm lower.

As others have mentioned, the front Sensa-Trac struts did add about a 1/2 inch to the drop though.....enough to give it a slightly ranked look with my Tein S-Techs.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Folks, the Monroe shocks in the rear can not and will not lower your vehicle unless you are lowered far enough that you were resting on the bottom limit of travel for your stock shocks.

The front struts will lower the front suspension about .5 inch because the front spring perches on the Monroe struts are welded on about .5 inch lower than on the stock struts.

Shock absorbers do NOT support the weight of the vehicle, the only dampen suspension movement, which is why the Brits call 'em dampers. The only exception to this is shocks specifically designed to increase load capacity. The "pressure" in the OEM and Monroe 5987 shocks is for fluid control to prevent foaming, etc. The amount of "lift" is only a few pounds - you would get much more height change in the rear by simply taking out your spare - or folding the rear seats forward.

Learn how shocks work, guys. The amount of change between OEM and 5987s is about the same as adding or removing ten pounds from the rear cubby. Not even noticible.

(Running 5987s on my xB.)

Tom
Old 07-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Banned
SL Member

OK ... heres an issue for the general public. I have the Progress Suspension and love the ride over all. I was going to wait and get the Monroes all around this fall, but with prices so low i feel i cant pass this up. My concern ... my front end sits dead even with the top of the wheel/tire combo now, i cant afford to loose another 1/2 inch. Also, by losing a 1/2 inch in the front, and nothing in the rear, my box will now ride with the ___ higher.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Oh yeah, i would also want to replace the tops of the front strut towers, as they are starting to blow out from being lowered. What is the going rate for those toppers from Scion parts dept? Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 07-14-2006, 01:42 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

"My concern ... my front end sits dead even with the top of the wheel/tire combo now, i cant afford to loose another 1/2 inch. Also, by losing a 1/2 inch in the front, and nothing in the rear, my box will now ride with the butt higher."

Same exact thing for me. Anyone have an idea how low you have to be before you're bottoming that shock out?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

The stock shocks and struts start to bottom at a 3 inch drop. Gothbox had cut his springs and was riding on the bump stops.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Alright I am getting ready to order the monroe struts. I used the 2001 Echo to find the struts online. The rear is part #5987. The front is part #71575. I see plenty of post using the 5987 rears, but have not seen anyone talking about the fronts.

Does anyone know if the 71575 front strut is applicable to the xB? Does anyone have "The Monroe® Sensa-Trac® strut with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech™" on the fronts?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I've heard, replacing the front struts doesn't give you as much bang for the buck (and installation hassle) as just replacing the rear shocks, so most folks skip doing the struts. Do a search; there are a few folks who've done it.

The Monroe struts will drop you 1/2'' in the front.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gsnorgathon
From what I've heard, replacing the front struts doesn't give you as much bang for the buck (and installation hassle) as just replacing the rear shocks, so most folks skip doing the struts. Do a search; there are a few folks who've done it.

The Monroe struts will drop you 1/2'' in the front.
EXACTLY RIGHT
Old 07-16-2006, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ Awww, shucks! *blush*
Old 07-16-2006, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Yeah your right about the lack of people replacing the fronts. I just cant help feeling half-@$$ about only doing the rears. Monroe is also having a sale for the month of July, where when you buy 3 you get 1 free. Mail-in rebate for the cheapest item. The complete set of 4 comes to $167.16 shipped from rockauto.com. The rebate would be for $31 (the price of one rear shock). Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. But $136 versus $62 for the same ride effect makes a strong arguement. I think I'm going to stick to just the rear, and see what happens from there.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotweelz4me
... I just cant help feeling half-@$$ about only doing the rears.... But $136 versus $62 for the same ride effect makes a strong arguement. I think I'm going to stick to just the rear, and see what happens from there.
I did the rears only, and see no reason to do the fronts. The rear ends now feels the same as the front going over speed bumps at low speed, where you can judge what each end is doing. Both ends are equally compliant and swallow the bump nicely.

At all speeds, the overall suspension is just right. It is controlled - not soft and not hard. There is a mile of rough patched pavement on a fast road near me that is unpleasant in any car, but the xB with NAPA SensaTracs in the rear just soaks it up.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Considering how much more the fronts are. Why replace them till they need it. I got better things to do with my money. My 2Cnts
Old 07-16-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put the Sensatrack shocks on the rear of my Scion XB. Great ride now! I recommend them! Easy install too!

Quick Reply: Monroe Shocks..