Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Monroe Shocks..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Installed the Monroes

Originally Posted by Newtmaker
... Some of you may remember me as the old fart who switched to 14 inch tires ...
Sometimes I think of switching to 14s - or 13s - just because it so much seems the cool thing to get bigger wheels...
Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Installed the Monroes

Originally Posted by Gsnorgathon
Originally Posted by Newtmaker
... Some of you may remember me as the old fart who switched to 14 inch tires ...
Sometimes I think of switching to 14s - or 13s - just because it so much seems the cool thing to get bigger wheels...
Well, I'm not qualified to talk about what is cool, at least my son and daughter say so. However, in combo with the much lighter aftermarket wheels, the ride is much improved over the stock setup.

Walt
Old 08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So - what kind of wheels are they?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gsnorgathon
So - what kind of wheels are they?
Boy, have I ever forgotten! I got them at a local (Orlando) tire place. They are a multi-spoke design, 10 or 12. and the top surface of each spoke is powdercoated gloss black Everything else is polished.
I specifically wanted 14" and something that was lighter than the steel wheels. These measured out about 4 or 5 lbs lighter each, but the tires were about a pound heavier than the stock Goodyears. Still I was very pleased that they really feel great as far as smooth ride is concerned. With the 195-65 x 14 tires the speedo/odo is exactly the same as stock, which is to say it is still slightly fast on the speedo and low on the odo.
Sorry I can't recall a brand.

Walt
Old 08-25-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks - and no prob on the brand, just curious.

Sorry about the threadjack, folks - we now return you to your regularly scheduled Monroe shocks discussion.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, I just went and ordered Tein H-Techs and the Monroe rear shocks (part #5987). I got the Monroe's from Shockwarehouse.com for $72.00 bucks shipped to my door! I can't wait to get everything installed! I'll post pics when I do!!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro_b
Originally Posted by sikbrik
RTon20s is right...your car should sit at the same height even if you totally remove the shocks.

The reason there is confusion in this thread is because the FRONT Monroes for the Echo actually move the spring seat down farther, which means the spring didn't compress more but the car still got lower. The rear springs don't sit on the shocks so the height will not change UNLESS your stock shocks just have so much pressure that they're able to hold the weight of the car. That's really not even remotely likely.
After reading this nonsense about different shocks on the rear having ANYTHING to do with ride height I had to speak up. If changing rear shocks changed your ride height your tape measure is either broken or someone can't read it right PERIOD. The minimal amount of pressure a shock puts on a suspension is NOT enough to change ride height unless they were air shocks
try again pressurization has an effect......geez BTW I have the factory,Monroes, and Konis and I can show the difference in each one.......

and basically if you haven't changed shocks and measured the height...and I have.... you should be quiet and and go to the back of the room and listen..imperical evidence rules

I am tired of explaining this.... out....
Old 08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It takes ~18 lbs to compress the stock KYB shock vs. 0 lbs for a Koni. This is just because the stock is a gas pressurized design and the Koni is not. This translates into a ride height difference of about 1/8" (Koni being lower). Is this measureable? Yes. Is it much? Your call.......
Old 08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jomo, you failed to mention how many pounds it took to compress the pressurized OEM shock, which is what the aftermarket shocks should be compared to...

(These folks are moving from the OEM shock to either the Monroe or the Koni, so any ride-height-change would be from the OEM shock to the aftermarket shock, with the Koni shock supposedly riding lower than the pressurized OEM shock.)

Tomas
Old 08-28-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Jomo, you failed to mention how many pounds it took to compress the pressurized OEM shock, which is what the aftermarket shocks should be compared to...Tomas
The 18 lbs was the rear OEM shock. I didn't have the weight to compress a rear Monroe shock.

We should probably get the info for the front struts as well. In any case, the shock pressure is a pretty minor impact, but for those that are really low it can be important.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh. Sorry, Jomo, my bad. I made an error up there.

Anyway, the difference between the Konis and the OEM shocks in ride height is about the same as removing the spare tire, and if the SensaTracs have an appreciably higher pressure (mine didn't seem to) they would increase rather than decrease ride height in the rear marginally...

Thanks for actually measuring the shock pressure!

Tomas
Old 08-28-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So let me get this right, 5870 rear shocks for xB with aftermarket springs. and 5987 for stock springs? I am planning to lower my car and was about the get the 5987 until few of you guys stated it was good for OEM springs, which is not my case. Waiting on confirmation so i can purchase this.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

The 5987's are for mild drops of 1.5 inches or less. The other number is for the more drastic drops.

Sorry Sciond, shocks should NEVER have anything to do with ride height unless they are not the right ones or are air adjustable lift shocks. There is simply not enough pressure exibited to alter the ride height. The springs are what supports the weight of the vehicle and determine ride height. Shocks control the quality of the ride.
If you measured an 8th of inch difference big deal. Try jacking up and lowering your suspension over and over. You will get a different reading all the time without doing any mods.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about with the tein s-tech? I am not sure whats the drop height for that..
Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro_b
Try jacking up and lowering your suspension over and over. You will get a different reading all the time without doing any mods.
This man speaks the truth. ^^^

The amount of fuel has an impact on ride height as well....and that changes all the time. Even the outside temp can effect it some.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

all I am saying I have all 3 I mentioned and I can show the same difference every time between the 3 types of ahocks... so go figure......
Old 08-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Banned
SL Member

Sorry for posting so late .. but i have to inform those out there with a set up like mine.

Progress Suspension
215/45R17s
OTG rear shims.

I swapped out my stockers for the 5870s in the rear. I have almost a 2 inch drop with these springs.

After driving around for a few days i did notice that the rear was super soft now. bumps werent as harsh, esp rail road tracks. I also noticed more body roll in the rear.

My GF came down a last Thurs. as we were leaving for Ohio ( 534miles ) on Friday. We go out for dinner to the local Chic Fa Lay and the whole ride out there ( 6 miles ) the added weight cause the rear to bottom out over the littliest bumps. I had rubber chunks missing and rubber dust everywhere in the rear. I have never been so careful driving my box as i was coming back from dinner. It was dark when we got home. I got up early the next morn while the GF was in the shower and swapped out the Monroes for the stockers again. There was no way in hell i was going to beat the hell out of the rear with those Monroes installed. Man, i missed this ride. Now i can corner and the box handles once again like its on rails.

** For those who have the Progress springs .. do not get the Monroes. The added softness will only distroy the car. It makes the ride way too soft. **

Anyone looking for a set of Monroes local to NJ?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
.... I had rubber chunks missing and rubber dust everywhere in the rear.
What are you rubbing on?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's one reason I don't like the 5870s - since they aren't designed for this particular suspension layout (the 5987s are), the massive rubber bump stops that prevent hard bottoming have to be removed because ot the 5870's integral gravel shield.

With oversize wheels and tires no longer centered for clearance, and a lowered ride height, there isn't much slack.

How much of a load were you running when you had the problem?

Tomas
Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Mine started rubbing the inner front top of the outter wheelwell on the outter corner of the tire. If I want to run my Hotchkiss springs again with my 17's I'm thinking of pulling off the OTG spacers so this wont happen. Also with the Whiteline bar on the rear, My handling has improved even with the nice soft ride of the Monroes.

Quick Reply: Monroe Shocks..