Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Monroe Shocks..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow I've never had any of those issues with with the Monroes...
Old 08-29-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had mine on for a week almost now and I can honestly say they do feel better than the stocks (did not know they are KYB's, as someone mentioned).
Anyway, they are keepers for sure.

Walt
Old 08-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
How much of a load were you running when you had the problem?
The only thing i was running in the rear was my speaker box. Maybe 100 #s at the most.

Now, maybe i read wrong, but i got the impression that for those who were lowered, they should get the Monroe 5870.

I am throughly convienced that with the lowest spring rate which is the Progress Springs and any aftermarket shock its going to be too soft back there. I was going to install them on the GFs xB ... but she has the 1st gen Strup Exhaust .... and she hits it on every bumps now with her GoldLines.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

The 5870's are for those that are REAL low like 2+ inches. I'm 1.5" and use the other number and other than fast compression over hard bumps I love the ride. It's SOOO smooth.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would one want the shorter, 5870 shocks with lowering springs designed for the standard shock length? Is this so you can ride in "the zone" of a position sensitive shock such as the Monroe???

With a shorter shock you may lose your protection from bottoming tires as CBSIMONSEZ found out.

It seems to me that this is a misapplication. You are probably best off wih a full size shock using the proper bumpstops.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jomo
Why would one want the shorter, 5870 shocks with lowering springs designed for the standard shock length? Is this so you can ride in "the zone" of a position sensitive shock such as the Monroe???
Yes. With a 2" drop one is out of the 'center range' damping rate, giving some rather strange behavior...

With a shorter shock you may lose your protection from bottoming tires as CBSIMONSEZ found out.
The loss of protection appears to be primarily from the removal of the suspension bump stops.

It seems to me that this is a misapplication. You are probably best off wih a full size shock using the proper bumpstops.
The 5870s are being used, even though they preclude having a bump stop, because the shock is short enough to be in it's 'happy range' - thing is, BOTH ends of the shock compromise the mounting by not being engineered to match the suspension design. The 5870 is AT BEST a compromise to come up with something that might work with a lowered suspension.

(At stock height the 5987s are excellent, and engineered for this suspension design.)

Tomas
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 AM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm using 5870's on a 1.85 inch drop - Megan Racing. Although CB tried them and found them to be too soft, I find them to be just right. With the stock rear KYB's, my car would be bouncy to say the least...stiff also.

Now the ride is more subdued but is able to dampen uneven pavement during turns and such ... at least in my opinion... Maybe i should try the 5987's next time to try a comparison but i know i'd like to get some Koni rears when the time is right ...

Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

^^^ i did find them to be wayyy too soft. It stands to reason though, cause the Progress Spring have the lowest spring rate. I bought them for that reason, cause intially they are a nice ride over uneven pavement. When it comes to a quick jaring hole or RR tracks, the KYBs hold firm which makes the rear more noticable. I can live with that. Anyone who has riden in my box has commented on how the car consistantly seems " planted " to the pavement, and corners " likes its on rails. "
Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
i did find them to be wayyy too soft. It stands to reason though, cause the Progress Spring have the lowest spring rate. "
The rear suspension setup you had was a problem waiting to happen. Yes, the shocks are realitively soft but this is not the whole story.

The shocks were short to operate in normal operating zone when lowered (this effectively lowers the dampening rate and allows the suspension to compress more), the springs were relatively soft, you had a 100 lb sub in the trunk, you had oversized tires, you had hub spacers. The combination of all this says "easy to bottom" and "way too soft". IMO, the sub is probably the biggest problem.

With that sub back there, you need healthy compression dampening which the KYB can provide and the bottoming protection of the "longer", stock shock. Monroes or Koni's may not protect your car from bottoming if you have a setup like this (or have the car loaded down with people) as the compression dampening is low on both these shocks.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

^^ Yes, that is why they ride sooo soft. You just have to make sure you are using bump stops and have plenty of clearance for the tires to travel upward without contacting anything. This is prolly why I'll be removing my OTG spacers so I can run my 17's with my Hotchkiss springs and Monroe shocks.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, just to verify. I threw some 5987's on the xA tonight. And just like my Box, there was absolutely no change in ride height. CASE CLOSED.

BTW, as expected, they really helped to tame the S-Techs in the a$$ end of the ol' Egg.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wondering..does anyone feel no difference in their monroe's..maybe i put that little washer in the wrong spot....
Old 09-02-2006, 04:23 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mica, if you put 5987's on a box that is lowered, you may be out of the 'center range' of the shock's design, and there would be little if any change from the stock shocks - you would be in the 'stiff' range of the Monroes...

Tomas
Old 09-02-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by micaxB
just wondering..does anyone feel no difference in their monroe's..maybe i put that little washer in the wrong spot....
That shouldn't change how they feel. ^^^

But you should have the washer in the correct spot for added safety. That washer helps to ensure that the shock-rod doesn't punch through the metal plate in the bump-stop.....though it's unlikely that it would really happen.....you never know. Monroe included, so it should be used.

You'll need to seperate the bump-stop with the metal plate from the plastic dust-boot. Then slide the dust-boot on to the shock, place the washer on the collar of the shock-rod, then reinstall the bump-stop on to the dust-boot. Button it up and drive.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Mica, if you put 5987's on a box that is lowered, you may be out of the 'center range' of the shock's design, and there would be little if any change from the stock shocks - you would be in the 'stiff' range of the Monroes...

Tomas
so you're saying there might not be any difference if the monroes are on a lowered box?

hmm...i feel like the back is more boncy now tthat the monroes are on...not sure tho...it's probably just the roads here in houston.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro_b
Mine started rubbing the inner front top of the outter wheelwell on the outter corner of the tire. If I want to run my Hotchkiss springs again with my 17's I'm thinking of pulling off the OTG spacers so this wont happen. Also with the Whiteline bar on the rear, My handling has improved even with the nice soft ride of the Monroes.
never had rub with the Monores before or after OTG spacers
I run 18's with 215 35 18 tires
Old 09-03-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
Mine started rubbing the inner front top of the outter wheelwell on the outter corner of the tire. If I want to run my Hotchkiss springs again with my 17's I'm thinking of pulling off the OTG spacers so this wont happen. Also with the Whiteline bar on the rear, My handling has improved even with the nice soft ride of the Monroes.
I'm wondering if Jethro is rubbing because he is running a 45 series tire on his 17's...If so, maybe I'll keep running my 40 series...
Old 09-03-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Originally Posted by Sciond
I'm wondering if Jethro is rubbing because he is running a 45 series tire on his 17's...If so, maybe I'll keep running my 40 series...
That's part of it along with the spacers, lowering, and car-to-car variances. I have the same issue with 45 series, 35 mm offset and S-techs. There is a raised metal tab in the wheel well that the tire rubs on only when the wheel is turned ~2/3. A lot of people don't rub at all with a similar setup.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

FYI ... im selling my #5870s. Check the classifieds.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member

I think there needs to be a sticky thread on the monroes...
I mean so much confusion and controversy, I recently put on the Tein S Techs and the 5870's as my thought process was ok.... im lowered and this is a shorter shock maybe that makes sense so that it rides in the "good zone" . I have a slight rubbing issue in the back where the rim is hitting the frame but i grinded the spot a little and also will be putting on wheel spacers soon which will fix it. I notice the ride to be better with the monroes but I keep second guessing myself and thinking maybe i should have put the 5897's instead.
Any thoughts or does someone what to step up and make the definitive guide on monroes?
I have many pics and will post tomorrow once I get them off camera.

Quick Reply: Monroe Shocks..