Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Monroe Shocks..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 PM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah. I've always wondered the difference in feeling between the 5870's which i have and the 5987's that a lot more people have. Unless someone has done both and can tell us the difference.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Assuming I am a complete idiot when it comes to cars...

Could someone explain how to install these in the rear of an xA? Im a certified motorcycle mechanic, but the only thing I do with cars is oil changes so... It sounds easy enough from others descriptions, but I have no idea where to start or look. Thank ya!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

^^^ If its anything like the box ... unbolt the bottom of the shock ( 17 MM on the box ) and then unbolt the top ( 12MM i believe ) of the shock from inside the trunk. There should be 2 " towers " in the rear, remove cap and there is the top of the shock. Real easy, and you with a doorstop may not have to jack up the car to remove them.

I do have a set of the 5870s for sale BTW. I can meet you at a local meet or ship, lemme know.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Perhaps I wasn't quite awake yet and missed it, but is there a part number in this thread for the FRONT? I'm running TRD Springs and my left front strut is bad and needs to be replaced. I'd take it in for warranty, but if there is a better alternative that is affordable, I'll just do that instead.

Cliffs: TRD springs, looking for best fit for FRONT and rear strut/shock replacement. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JakAHearts, here is an excellent 'how to' for the xB, and the xA is the same except for the plastic shock tower covers inside. You should have no problem figuring it out from there.

Scion05BOPxB, this thread might help you with your question. Unless the stock struts for some reason don't do the job for you, I'd have them warranty replaced with standard OEM struts.

(This info has all been covered here on ScionLife, but these are shorter, more direct, cleaner threads without a lot of off-topic stuff.)

Hope that helps...

Tomas
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a good how-to for the rear shocks. I suspect that lots of folks don't install that washer in the proper place....if at all.

I have to disagree some with the other thread. I've had good success with the Sensa-Trac 5987's on both my Box and Egg.....S-Techs on both. Even my wife noticed a difference in the ride after the Monores, especially with the xA. They were installed about a week after the S-Techs. So, it was easy to tell the difference in the ride quality.

Just mt 2 cents.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't doubt that you are feeling the change with the 5987s, xA_Factor, just possibly not AS MUCH difference as might be possible with the variable-rate SensaTracs centered in their range.

(To know for sure, I'd have to have design information from the shock manufacturer on the shock extensions where the rate change-overs take place, and I do not have that info.)

Take care,
Tomas
Old 09-18-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
I don't doubt that you are feeling the change with the 5987s, xA_Factor, just possibly not AS MUCH difference as might be possible with the variable-rate SensaTracs centered in their range.
^^^ Good point Big-T.

I can certainly say with confidence that there is at least some true improvement, and not just a placebo effect. And my wife, who has a very unbiased opinion, agrees.

So, IMO, people with vehicles lowered less than 2 inches should have no real issues with the 5987's. As for the long term? We'll just have to see how they hold up.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

After reading this whole thread it's safe to say that I'm more confused than before

I have Hotchkis (about 1 1/2 inch drop) and 215/35ZR18 tires. I was interested in seeing if there was a smoother ride I could get with changing out the stock shocks...and now I have no idea what to do
Old 10-06-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just get koni's and ditch the monroes..that's what i'm doing.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by micaxB
just get koni's and ditch the monroes..that's what i'm doing.
A bit of difference in price, and a difference in the way they work, but a viable option for those who want what the Koni shocks offer, and can afford the price.

Koni makes VERY good shocks - I've used them on many different vehicles over the years.

The Koni shocks probably have a longer lifespan than either the OEM shocks or the SensaTracs, so the higher cost is spread over a longer timeframe if you plan on keeping the vehicle for many, many miles.

Tomas
Old 10-07-2006, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tomas - any idea just how long that would be? Long enough to make it worthwhile to blow the big bucks on the Konis?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I won't even try to answer that one - it depends too much on the roughness of driving surfaces, pot holes, speed bumps, speeds, etc., etc. It also depends on how critical the driver is on what constitutes a "worn" shock.

How 'bout if I just guestimate that the Koni will probaly go twice as far in the same conditions, and that the SensaTracs will probably go 20-40,000 miles.

(Understand that is all SWAGs.)

Tomas
Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

just went from Moroes to Koni's ..very nice...
Old 10-08-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the SWAGs, Tomas! Always appreciated.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

as of right now IM REALLY Fen Confused. lol
I have my xA bagged and i heard from all the talk that monroe shocks in the rear will help drop the back end down another inch and smooth out the ride alittle....
i hope it will smooth out the ride as much as i hope it drops the a$$ end a bit cause i want this thing sitting level.

im just asking is this true and what monroe part number should i use to optimize the best drop and perfomance?

help o wise ones help
Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Monroe rear shocks WILL NOT lower your car any more.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xA_Factor
The Monroe rear shocks WILL NOT lower your car any more.
TRUE.

But... a shorter shock MAY let the suspension go lower if it is currently bottoming out the OEM or equivalent shock.

If the suspension is not currently bottoming out the installed shock, changing shocks to one of the shorter units will not lower the car more.

Tomas
Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

dude thats cause your sitting on springs im on bags of course it wont lower your springed ride cause your back end will end up sitting at the optimal compression of your springs.... but the difference is my ride sits on the rear shocks... due to the fact that my bags will compress alot lower then the shocks when i let all the air out i still have about 2 inch left before the wheel wel will sit on the tires.......... so tech. if the rear shocks were lower than my ride would sit lower.....i just wanna make sure i get the right part number thats all im asken because i have seen it lower a bagged scion when its all the way down i think its like an inch and half or so but im just tryen to get the right one... and i will post before and after pics with my car sitting on stock shocks and with the right monroe ones with a tape messure to prove it

im sorry but i just think your info is coming from your self impressions and didn't relize that airbags raise and lower the car... no biggy im not picken a fight or anything please don't think so i just believe you didn't know the correct facts about the situation
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

it is bottoming it out to clarify thanks tom

Quick Reply: Monroe Shocks..