Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

My Air Ride Set Up - Details and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default My Air Ride Set Up - Details and Questions

I've decided to piece together a kit by myself. I can get exactly what I want that way, and I can also do it all for a lot better price.

I'm leaving some of the smaller stuff out, but here's the basic run down.

Front struts from FBIrides.com - Easy street air lift - $550

Rear Bags- RS52 slam specialties - 75$ ea

Rear bag brackets from fbirides - $85 ( I might go billet from randode - $200)

Compressor - Viair 450 - $210 Shipped from candospecialties.com

Tank - 5 gallon 8 port - $55 from gaugemag

145 pressure switch - $15 from gaugemag

water seperator - $23 from gaugemag

9 switch plexi switchbox - $20

Lots of DOT brass fittings - ~$60 fom suicidedoors

50 ft 3/8" tube - $20 gaugemag

50 ft 1/8" tube - $8 gaugemag

(2) Easystreet dual needle gauges 0-200psi -$29ea ($58 total)

( SMC Valves, 10mm orfice, 3/8" ports w/ brackets- $48 ea ($384 total)

Total is somewhere around $1600.00

Maybe more if I need $200 for Cusco camber plates

I have a couple questions, I posted a thread up on clubxb.com, I'll copy the questions over here to see if any of you guys have answers.

Here's my post at clubxb.com with questions:

These questions will probably be answered easily by anyone here with air ride already installed.

This is my first post on the subject, and I am sort of new to air ride. I'm looking for a little help/insight/answers. I'm working on piecing an air ride system together because there are no built kits on the market that have what I want. I have a few questions though for you experienced people out there.

I plan on using Easy Street Air Struts for the front end. I've heard there are problems with them getting stuck.

1.They can be replaced by warranty if they seize up, but is there a better product on the market yet?

2.If not, best price for Easy Street front struts I've found is $550 at FBI, anyone know of a better deal?

3.I've read about ending up with positive camber after installing the Easy Street front struts. Does it stop the rims from tucking since they are leaning outwards?

4.Do I need to get something like Cusco Camber plates to fix the problem? Or is it just optional?

---------------

A few qestions about rear bags. I'm planning on using RS52 Slam Specialties Bags. I can buy the rear bag brackets from FBI for 85$. But, I was thinking I may go with Randodes new Billet bag brackets that claim to drop another 3/4" in the rear. Does anyone have experience with Randodes brackets? Opinions/thoughts?

-------------------

I'm in Iraq right now, FAR FAR away from my scion. So I'm wondering if anyone has pictures of the area underneath the rear bumper. I am planning on installing the air tank/compressor there, and I'm curious to how it will fit. If you have pics with a tank down there, that would be even better, but if not, any pics of underneath the rear end will help.

Does a 5 gallon tank fit underneith the xb? It's 12 1/2" x 20"

I'm going with a Viair 450 Compressor. Any problems with mounting this underneith?

-----------------

Exhaust question- I have a magnaflow Gen 2 axleback exhaust from precisionmuffler.com. I noticed in the .pdf walktru of the installation for the rear bags, they removed the muffler/heat shield, then reinstalled it when they are done. For people who are on air, do you have any problems with aftermarket exhaust rubbing/dragging/getting crushed?

-----------

I thank you all in advance for any help you can provide me. I've got around 2 months left here in Iraq. I'm just trying to get the final kinks worked out of this, so I can start ordering parts in time to get home to the states.. Thanks for your help!

-James
Old 07-17-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the everything u have except I'm running a viair 480 and 1/2 valves and line....Don't go with the plexi switch box, I regret mine and so does everybody else....I had everything mounted under my xb with no problems for almost 2 years...
Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM

Dragging the exhaust depends on how low your exhaust and air ride system is, I have my air ride so that I am low enough for the ground, but can not hit the exhaust.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

oh gaberson
Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

27300man- Do you have a 3 or 5 gallon tank underneith? Also, how did you mount the viair 480 so it was upright as I heard it needed to be?

Stylis-Thanks for the info on the exhaust.

I made up a diagram last night of what my set up will look like. Anyone with experience in air ride: Can you look this over, and see if everything is correct?

Questions:

1. What fitting is used to connect 1/8" line to the dual needle gauges
2. What fitting is used to connect the 3/8" line to the front air bag struts
3. What fitting is used to connect the 3/8" line to the rear air bags?
4. What size is the line coming out of the Viair 450 compressor. The water
seperator has 3/8" female holes. So, I need a bushing with 3/8" threads on one end
(they go into the water seperator) but what connects to the compressor/what size/m/f?
5. What size fittings on pressure switch? how to connect to 1/2" port on tank?

I of course will be spending a while now trying to find answers to these questions, if you can help out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

James
Old 07-17-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5 gal...the viairs mounted upside down...the tank hangs lower then the comp. Nothing hangs lower then the rear bumper
Old 07-17-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

okay, good info on the Viair. I read somewhere that they would have cooling issues if not mounted right side up. If you're going strong after 2 years, then no problem.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read that also a while back....I brought that issue up to the air suspension shop that installed my air and they said I should be fine...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Okay...I've gotten a lot of good answers so far.. here's the questions I still have.

1. What fitting is used to connect 1/8" line to the dual needle gauges
2. What fitting is used to connect the 3/8" line to the front air bag struts
3. What fitting is used to connect the 3/8" line to the rear air bags?
4. What size is the line coming out of the Viair 450 compressor. The water
seperator has 3/8" female holes. So, I need a bushing with 3/8" threads on one end
(they go into the water seperator) but what connects to the compressor/what size/m/f?
5. What size fittings on pressure switch? how to connect to 1/2" port on tank?

6.Does anyone have experience with Randodes brackets? Opinions/thoughts?

7.I've read about ending up with positive camber after installing the Easy Street front struts. Does it stop the rims from tucking since they are leaning outwards?

8.Do I need to get something like Cusco Camber plates to fix the problem? Or is it just optional?

NEW QUESTION:

What does "NPT" stand for when looking at fittings? I see it everywhere!

Thanks for all the help guys.

-James
Old 07-18-2007, 05:46 AM

For your help here is a link to a site with all the sizes you are going to need.

http://www.parker.com/EAD/displayCat...desc=PRESTOLOK

I use the swivel connectors all over my set-up. Those line lock connectors work great, just slide the hose in and its locked on!

Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for the link Stylis. I still don't understand how line connects to these fittings, you just slide a line into the fitting and the fitting locks onto it?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by redneck69
Thanks for the link Stylis. I still don't understand how line connects to these fittings, you just slide a line into the fitting and the fitting locks onto it?
Pretty much, there is a sleeve that grabs the air hose and will not release it unless you retract the sleeve back into the base by hand. These air lines are locked in for good once they are pushed in. So easy, its really unbelievable. I already went on a 700mile road trip, over the weekend, with the air ride on and had no problems! :D

Old 07-18-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah the push in fittings are great , I use them at work for compressed water and no leaks!.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Awesome. Well that clears that question up. I think my brain is still fogged with 100 different possibilities and questions, and some of them have yet to reach the surface. I've done my homework, but I still have questions that I cannot easily find answers to online, or at least I don't know where to look.

For now, I have no new ones, but if anyone knows a lot about all these fittings, scroll up and check out that diagram. I spent 3 hours drawing it so I could make sure I had every possible fitting I needed when it came time to do the install. Problem is there are a few questions. Just scroll up and read.

Thanks for the good responses guys, without you, my air ride would not be a future possibility.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Hit up this website, they have all the best products as well. :D

http://www.universalairsuspension.com/on-road/

Click on "shop online"