Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

OTG neg camber plates!!! Finally

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im really anxious to see some more cars with them on actually.

ive officially decided against it, but id like to see some nice rides with the OTG camber plates.

who on here has all ordered them so far?

Scott
Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one set here, in the mail from Stylis

Question: Do instructions come with the kit? Even if so, it would be good to have the instructions printed into this thread.

who can do this? If it's a no-brainer installation, great: tell how it's done. And if pictures are available put in pictures.

tanks
Old 08-23-2005, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBOXD
Mine is a daily driver. Tire wear is not too bad when i was running my old setup with my 15's. I was also running 3 degrees then. I was trying not too have to run camber on my current setup but i could not pull the fenders out anymore without causing major damage to the fenders. I also did not want to raise my car so i had to run camber. I guess its just the "Cost to Floss!" HAHAHAHAHA
bBoxed,

did your former plates have any toe out correction built in (like Van's plates do)?

here's a crop of one of your pictures repeated many splendid times on page two and later...

Now, as a history buff, this tickles me, because this 3 degrees is the very same camber that Henry Ford put into the front wheels of his Model T Ford in 1908 through about 1925,when camber got reduced to 1.5 degrees. Only, his camber was positive and made the car look bowlegged. (I mentioned this before elsewhere; pardon please, but it's fun to share)

compensation of toe setting to OUT is vital to minimize tire scrub when we have static neg. camber.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

About the JDM plates, yes, they do come with toe correction, you just have to be sure put them in correct direction, and they are one piece !!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by SciFly
one set here, in the mail from Squirrel

Question: Do instructions come with the kit? Even if so, it would be good to have the instructions printed into this thread.

who can do this? If it's a no-brainer installation, great: tell how it's done. And if pictures are available put in pictures.

tanks
Actually that should say stylis, since I was the one who shipped them out. You know, precisionmuffler.com :D Stylis here.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Now, as a history buff, this tickles me, because this 3 degrees is the very same camber that Henry Ford put into the front wheels of his Model T Ford in 1908 through about 1925,when camber got reduced to 1.5 degrees. Only, his camber was positive and made the car look bowlegged. (I mentioned this before elsewhere; pardon please, but it's fun to share)

compensation of toe setting to OUT is vital to minimize tire scrub when we have static neg. camber.
Maybe it was positive cambered because of the suspension?

You know, when you add weight, it lowered the car, thus making positive to negative camber. Well, it would work if the car had a fully independent suspension.

Just like flatbed trailers. They are made to bow up, so when heavy loads are placed on them, it levels out the trailer, because of the support, strength, and such.

Just wondering as I haven't seen a Model T up close before.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by squirrel

Maybe it was positive cambered because of the suspension?

You know, when you add weight, it lowered the car, thus making positive to negative camber. Well, it would work if the car had a fully independent suspension.

Just like flatbed trailers. They are made to bow up, so when heavy loads are placed on them, it levels out the trailer, because of the support, strength, and such.

Just wondering as I haven't seen a Model T up close before.

It was to put the tire patch more nearly the king pin axis, to ease the steering. Otherwise it would've been very heavy to steer the T.

You know what the steering gear box ratio was? 4:1 and the wheel was about 14" diameter and about 1.2 turns lock-to-lock. All was for a reason we today can't hardly imagine: All the roads were rutted dirt there was almost zero pavement.

I'll reprint the Fahnestock article someday about camber cos it's insteresting. He was the finest technical writer of the era. You feel like he's talking to you live today when you read Murray Fahnestock.

gotta run!
Old 08-23-2005, 10:03 PM

The camber plates do come with instructions and are very easy to install.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

plant em here why not?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by JDMJim
HIN is overdone( as well as biased and over priced),
AMEN!!!
(for the over priced part) you get press passes
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to when I worked @ Circuit City. Now I'll just show my car to get in next time.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

This is what I'm talking about.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got my plate kit yesterday. The instructions are clear and well illustrated.

When hurricane-coming, Katrina, is gone I'll try to make time to install Van's kit... provided we have electricity. Ho hum; we'll only have tropical storm winds (I hope) and lose power, prolly.

Having steelies this is not gonna look dramatic like picture above. I do it for handling benefits.

plates... then I'll get the Progress Tech rear sway.. and next the Tein Basics go on after I snag some Cusco front camber adjustment plates.

Cambering Mybox:

en Miami
Old 08-25-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

i wish i could drop money like that to get the suspension pieces i want

cusco camber plates, OTG camber shims, OTG hub shims, progress bar, and hks hipermax coilovers does not add up to a cheap set-up saving for one piece at a time or not
Old 08-25-2005, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*sigh*, I am with you on that.

otoh, I have not bought a new car since '92 and... have not dropped any money into this box (no audio, nothing but wheel covers and $450 for F1 tires, mounted on the steelies.

) soooo... having decided what I would like: it's all in the budget.

Suggestion for bucks: do modeling shoots, eXciteBox!

true! If you did not laugh at my "cambered box" above your input why by damn I'll make you laugh at yourself. So cheer up. You're young, healthy and living large.
Let's not be mopin'

cheers!
r
Old 08-25-2005, 09:25 PM

got my plate kit yesterday. The instructions are clear and well illustrated.

When hurricane-coming, Katrina, is gone I'll try to make time to install Van's kit... provided we have electricity. Ho hum; we'll only have tropical storm winds (I hope) and lose power, prolly.

Having steelies this is not gonna look dramatic like picture above. I do it for handling benefits.

plates... then I'll get the Progress Tech rear sway.. and next the Tein Basics go on after I snag some Cusco front camber adjustment plates.

Cambering Mybox:

en Miami

Hope you are doing ok after this storm. Glad you were able to get your camber plates with no problems. :D

Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow this thread grew quite quickly! just spent some time catching up from where i left off a couple days ago..! Anyway, to reassure people, the *main* purpose of these (and any) camber shims for the Scions is for aesthetics. It allows you to fit the wider, lower offset wheels under the rear wheelwells, and it also gives the car the appearance of being a bit lower and wider. It's true that "camber" has become a buzz word, and I actually think that the popularity of the Scions-along with the 240SXs-has helped bring more awareness to the US about things such as low-offset, deep-dish wheels, and negative camber.. and of course as things like that catch on, it's only natural for more people to get into it on a more superficial level...and throw around the buzzwords like they're gospel. This is the main reason I waited for a while before making these available on this level... I wanted to wait till there were more people who actually "needed" them, as back in late '03 there was probably only maybe a handful of folks running wheels that necessitated running negative camber in the back. But now there's tons of people who are getting more extreme wheel fitments, and for those that who may still have more conservative wheel fitments, I also designed the camber shims to be easily-stackable with the spacer shims. This eliminates the problem of having the top edge of a higher offset wheel/tire hit the suspension when it is cambered in (also another reason I didn't want to offer the camber shims earlier on). The combo setup will be available within the next week or so... still working on the web page for everything, so I gotta apologize for the lack of more succinct info and pics on the www.onetongarage.com web site.

Anyway, on the subject of performance, negative camber actually is used to help augment a car's cornering. There's some pretty good technical reads on the subject that can be googled on the net. But there is a point of diminishing returns; you don't get better performance with more negative camber... but again, that's why most of the Scion rear camber kits are not meant for performance, so you can't expect to get better cornering from them, although I am personally curious to gather some info on how much exactly they do affect performance numbers. It'd be interesting to get feedback from someone who autoxes or road races their car about their before and after impressions of running something like the OTG camber shims.

Ok that was more random thoughts from me on the subject. I've also been working on making a simple diagram that shows people exactly why negative camber alone is not truly that bad for tire wear... so far one of my best analogies is to think of your car's wheel as something like one of these ab exercise devices (don't mind the girl ):

So to put it simply, if you hold the wheel perfectly upright and straight, it is very easy to push back and forth. Now imagine tilting the top edge a few degrees over to one side (negative camber), you will still be able to roll it back and forth pretty easily. Now, with the wheel still tilted along the vertical axis, move one hand a little bit in front of the other, so that you tilt it on the horizontal axis, and try to roll it. The difficulty you experience is the effect of toe (either in or out). So imagine your car basically having to drag your tire along.. that's the true killer of tires.

Ok I think I wrote too much again! Sorry about that guys... gotta get back to working on the web page and getting shims out to folks!
Old 08-25-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome explanation of Toe and camber. Thanks for that Van!!
Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 08-26-2005, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome explanation of Toe and camber. Thanks for that Van!!
word! i wish everyone understood it. my friends insist i'm wrong, they try to tell me camber kills tires, not toe.

Quick Reply: OTG neg camber plates!!! Finally