Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

please help - suspension question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default please help - suspension question!

ok, so ive been hearing a lot about how its important to get new shocks after lowering a car, and i know that this may be true but is it absolutely necessary? im planning on getting tein s-techs in the next 2 weeks, and ive been seeing a lot of other xA drivers say to get monroe sensatracs as well. do they lower the car more? where can i look into getting sensatracs, and how much do they go for usually? thanks, also pics with s-techs and sensatrac on an xA would be appreciated, so that i can compare. all input welcome!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They wouldn't lower it any more, but would have a longer life than your OEM shocks. The OEM ones generally are made to ride at the height they're at. They start losing life faster when you lower it.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive heard that the monroes are a shorter sturt that stock so they will lower the car. Crappy shock though.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what wears out the shocks faster then... I have adjustable shocks and would like to know whether they are stressed more by being set to stiff or by soft??
Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

adjustable shocks are made to take the beating you can through at them soft or hard it doesnt matter as long as you bought good quality shocks you should be good togo. As for the springs on OEM shocks, its not absolutely neccesary to change the shocks if your going to drop your ride, but it will kill the life. If you drive like a normal person, slow and careful the OEM shocks could last you years even with springs, but if you hit the car hard in the corners and take alot of bumps and potholes the OEM shocks will not last you very long. Im the kind of person that if your taking it out replace it with something better. If your going to spend the money to reomve the front shocks, might as well put something that you know you will never have to change.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not just ride the stockers until they blow?
I was riding on H-techs for about 18/19K with the stock suspension. I recenlty switched to S-techs. Put about 700 on them so far and plan on riding them until they blow. I did order the TRD shocks/struts so when the stockers go I will have the replacements handy. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah, im going to also just stick with the stock suspension until i have any problems, thanks for the input everyone
Old 07-03-2006, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: please help - suspension question!

Originally Posted by zdawg913
ok, so ive been hearing a lot about how its important to get new shocks after lowering a car, and i know that this may be true but is it absolutely necessary? im planning on getting tein s-techs in the next 2 weeks, and ive been seeing a lot of other xA drivers say to get monroe sensatracs as well. do they lower the car more? where can i look into getting sensatracs, and how much do they go for usually? thanks, also pics with s-techs and sensatrac on an xA would be appreciated, so that i can compare. all input welcome!
The rears (monroes) will make the most difference. Wait on the fronts till they wear out. You'll have a nice drop and a nice ride. Best of both worlds.