Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Pro's and con's to lowering springs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pro's and con's to lowering springs.

I'll be getting my xA this week, and I wasn't planning on doing any major mods to it. I was wondering why so many people choose to lower them. Is it mostly a cosmetic thing, or are there other advantages? Also, what are the disadvantages of loweing?
-Thanks.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:41 PM

Like many mods, lowering your car has it's pros and cons.

pros
-more asthetically pleasing appearance and agressive stance
-lowering the center of gravity of the car reduces body roll
-stiffer springs increases cornering ability and stability

cons
-lowers the lifetime on your stock shocks
-stiffer ride = bumpier ride
-possibility of scratching the lower part of your bumper on high driveways and speedbumps.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

pros = cheap and affordable

cons = can't go as low as u want(in some cases).
Old 11-29-2004, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I lowered my xA because i don't like stock height of cars. The xA has a huge terrible gap that i think is nasty. Lowering the car solved the problem.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So from what I gather here, lowering is mostly for looks unless you plan to do alot of performance-style driving (which I wont). That means that for me, I would have to decide if the looks are worth the drawbacks that were listed:
-rougher ride
-shortened shock life
-more chance of scraping stuff.

hmmm...I think the wheel gap is kinda ugly too, but not enough to spend the money on a mod with some real negatives. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:47 PM

Also, there's a great guide in the tech section for step by step instructions on how to install them yourself instead of forking over 50-100 for a shop to install :D

Old 11-29-2004, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The wheel gap on an xA is not ugly, it's rediculous! That car is begging to be lowered at least an inch or two... If you choose to put some rims on it, you won't be sitting that low.(to get scrapes and such) You are a prime candidate for TRD springs.

TRD's only give you a little over 1inch, but IMO any drop is better than no drop on an xA!

-THE DON
Old 11-29-2004, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

another good thing about the TRD is that if you order them from the dealer and they install them, your warranty won't be voided, but, they're also REALLY overpriced
Old 11-30-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is the final price of the TRD springs with installation at the dealership?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member

Default TRD Springs $$; Are the springs a good idea?

I ordered the TRD springs with the car for the Toyota price of $189. However, the dealer wants to charge $799 (!!!) with installation. That is freakin' unbelievable to me when guys in these forums say it's a simple job for a mechanic. I've asked the dealer to order them so I can finance the $189 but I have a mechanic of my own who figures it'll cost me about $200 for him to install.

On a related note, before I actually have these TRD springs put on the stock size wheels and tires, I really need you guys to tell me if it's a mistake. I've read all the stuff about shocks wearing out quickly. I know my ride will be a little bumpier. BUT, the car just looks like it's on stilts when it's stock. I want the lowering springs strictly for looks. Am I just asking for trouble?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:23 PM

$200 is still a pretty hefty price tag to install just a couple of springs. Consider doing it yourself since it's a super easy job with the right tools (you can always rent some at a local hardware store) and an extra friend.

Here's the link - https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20769

Get the springs, Don't worry about the shocks giving way since it's usually down the line of a few years (it is a Toyota =p)

Old 12-03-2004, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I did the TRD springs only on my xA RS. The ride is a tad rough but I have the 17" rims too.

You might want to think about the Hotchkis springs which lower the car but are supposed to have a softer ride.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

im going to install some tein s-tech springs in the spring time.wish i could do it now but winter season is here.......
Old 12-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Banned
SL Member

not sure if any of you are in S FL (some of you have no "location" in your avatar) but if so, i'l gladly lower your scion.. $60 gets a perfect install.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I put the Tanabe df210's on my xA. the install took me all of 2 hours with all hand tools.. the first suspension work ive ever done. The install is so easy its funny.

The car instantly looked 100x better and was alot more solid on the road. I still have stock tires so umm yeah. Ive scraped a few times on some speed bumps that are a bit on the extreme side. I would not recommend the tanabe unless ya don't mind driving carefully and you will scrape that I can guarantee. The car has settled alot since last Saturday that I put the springs in and looks very nice. I will be posting pics soon.

Chip
Old 12-03-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

df210's rock ___. clean up the xa's really nicely
Old 12-04-2004, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I honestly want to avoid any "pull me over" gear on the car that attracts too much attention, or springs that make a car look obviously lowered.

But what pushed me to get springs was one little trip I took in LA. . . after rounding a corner on the 210 at about 80-85mph (standard speed for an LA highway at 2AM), and there was a couch in my lane. I had 4 other occupants in my car, and simply swerved to avoid the couch. My movements were not too wild, but the car did not seem stable enough for me. . . and if it had been a more panicked move, it more than likely would have upset the balance, meaning a spin out. With my new springs (yes TRD, some hate em, and even though they aren't dealer installed, I have a feeling they won't ask and won't care if they see them), the car is very stable. No BS, they saved my life. A stupid truck pulled out of a driveway without looking, and I was on a fast road (55mph). I had to swerve to avoid him, and was no less than a foot away from colliding. If it had not been for the springs, I would have either understeered, or oversteered(upon correction).
Old 12-04-2004, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
I honestly want to avoid any "pull me over" gear on the car that attracts too much attention, or springs that make a car look obviously lowered.
whoa, i didn't know you could get pulled over for a lowered car? how low is too low? this is all news to me!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

no, you can't, but it attract cops attention, like a gigantic humoungo sign. Ask any cop, off duty. . . a lowered car says, "pay attention to me" because I might do something stupid (no offense to people who are lowered), but everyone has to admit, you know those crazy bastards with the cut springs drunk of their butts ramming garbage cans. . . well there are a kazillion of those people.

Dead giveaways to cop to pay attention:
1) red or yellow paint
2) Neons underbody lights
3) lowered (a lot, or noticeably)
4) blue headlights
5) excessive tint
6) chrome wheels
7) excessively loud music

Odds are, if you fit any of these categories, at night, you have a high probability of either being intoxicated, carrying illegal substances, or are up to gang activity. I'm not talking down on people who have this stuff, but just stating that you have to be extra careful of cops. . . .
I do a lot of stupid stuff in my car. . . but if you can remain low key, you can avoid most any trouble. But see how many speeding tickets you get, driving exactly the same way, in a red car.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One HUGE con to lowering your car is if you go to low you could hurt the suspension geometry and in turn do the opposite to handling better....it could be worse....thats why i never suggest anything lower then a inch to inch and a half on any car

Quick Reply: Pro's and con's to lowering springs.