Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

rear airbag question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default rear airbag question

I am getting ready to order my airride parts and I have a Question about my rear setup. I have read where many people have used the sleeve setup and some use the bags setup. Overall which setup is the best to use and would be the easiest to work on it something goes wrong. All my buddies have told me that the bag setup is better over the sleeve setup bc they had some problems with the sleeve setup. I was just checking on what everyone else things and go from the advice they can give me for a great airride setup on my xb.

thanks
shawn
Old 12-24-2006, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't even purchase a sleeve setup any more. And just so you know, both types are considered "air bags." The one you are calling "bags" are double convoluted air springs. The sleeve style are either rolling sleeve, or tapered sleeve air springs.

Anymore, I think every company out there is using some sort of convoluted bag. Either double (Airlift/Easystreet, FBI) or single convoluted (Universal).

I have heard rumors that Air Runner did switch from a double convoluted air spring to a tapered sleeve design. This tapered sleeve should perform better than a rolling sleeve in conjunction with the rear suspension design. It will probably better match the load characteristics of our cars for a better ride.

A double convoluted spring will work best in conjunction with our rear suspension design, but it is a compromise. The double convoluted springs being used offer far to high of a load rating for our vehicles. (That is why Airlift started with a sleeve design.) The double convoluted design means you don't have to worry as much about stressing the bag, but your ride will not be as smooth as it could be with a lower rated air spring like a tapered sleeve.

Hopefully that answers your questions. If not, just let me know.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im running the airlift 2500il double stack bags on the rear and the air struts on the front which are the rolling sleeve my buddy has had more problems with his rolling sleeve bag than what i have with my dbl stack the only thing im haing problems with is i need different bag mounts cause when they are fully deflated they dont lay low enough and i have the fbi mounts which i will never buy from them agin i have had nothing but problems with them had to re weld them 3 times now. so use the double stck bag
Old 01-03-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately your only options for mounts by themselves are FBI and Universal Air. You could probably lay a little bit lower if you were using Air Lift 1st generation air bags. Have you also switched out your rear shocks? You should be using something like the Monroe 5870 for added drop.

Oh, and any of the double convoluted bags will fit on the Universal Rear bracket. The only problem is they won't let you go even as low as the FBI kit if you run a double convoluted bag.

Your only other option is buying a complete rear kit, or fabricating your own parts.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im running the double convoluted bags on the rear and i even undone the rear shocks and still didnt lay any lower
Old 01-03-2007, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the bag is truly what is holding you up I would take a look at either the Gen 1 Airlift/Easystreet 2B-6 bag, or one of the "Air House" bags from Universal Air Suspension. Either choice should allow you a bit more drop. The Airlift bags are spec'd to collapse to 2.3" and the Universal to 2.0" Compare this to the 2.8" collapsed height your current bags have.

Just keep in mind that with this change you will lose stroke. And if there is anything besides the collapsed height of the bag keeping you from going lower it will not correct that issue.

Oh, and one of the few sites online I found still carrying the 1st gen. Airlift bags is http://www.truckshop.com
Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here were the two rear bag setups i was looking at. im going to go with the air zenith air compressor to a 5 gallon slim tank. i just need to figure out which setup would lower the rear end down better.

http://store.gaugemagazine.com/index...OD&ProdID=3259

http://store.gaugemagazine.com/index...OD&ProdID=2138
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first is the Easystreet rear kit. And the image they have is of the old design. The second is just a link to Slam Specialties air bags. If you were to install the SS bags onto the Easystreet brackets you will have roughly the same drop (maybe slightly less), but a little bit more lift.

Bottom line... stick with the stock bags from the Easystreet kit. There is no gain with the investment into the Slam Specialties bags in that application.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just stubbed across these to items when i did a search for air ride brackets for a xb.

http://66.216.78.66/ProductDetails.a...ductCode=fb352

http://www.easystreetair.com/index.a...ROD&ProdID=591

RTon20s so you are basically saying just go with the easy street setup. i am going to change out my rear shocks as well. i am just wanting to have a nice setup where i can lay out the rear and be low enough with my lip kit im getting to have it set on the ground or close. You are very helpful and i thank you for all the help you have gave me and many others on the board

thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first link you posted is just the FBI rear brackets being sold by another company. Some people love them, others hate them.

Of the two you linked two, I prefer the Airlift (Easystreet) design. I believe both designs provide about the same drop, and the Airlift design puts the air line in a better position. You can find better pricing for the Easystreet stuff on the Gauge Store website.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah thats where i was going to buy my stuff from was gauges website bc that is about only an hour from me and i can go up there and pic it all up.

thanks for all your help and answering my questions i asked.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you order more than $500 (before discounts) shipping is free. Could save you a trip and some money.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by lunchbx05
i am just wanting to have a nice setup where i can lay out the rear and be low enough with my lip kit im getting to have it set on the ground or close.
it may get close depending on the lip kit. to lay out, you gotta cut it.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by lunchbx05
i am just wanting to have a nice setup where i can lay out the rear and be low enough with my lip kit im getting to have it set on the ground or close.
it may get close depending on the lip kit. to lay out, you gotta cut it.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is what i want to do next winter when there are no shows coming up.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is what i want to do next winter when there are no shows coming up.