Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Rear Disc Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Rear Disc Conversion

Has anyone come up with a kit for the car yet?

I have pics of 1 supercharged scion with rear disc brakes done by Mike Zimmerman (poor boy customs)

If not I guess Ill be making a kit for that shiot soon.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.thebrakeman.com/stormkitlist
http://www.kingsmart.com.hk

Edit: The King Smart is for a echo, so no one is sure if it would fully work with the box because of the ABS, ETC etc..
Old 08-21-2004, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yep the brakeman one is the one that Mike Zimmerman fabricated and sold it to that company. Very nice kit except his used 2 seperate callipers.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice kit indeed! Does anyone know what the minimum size rim would be to fit those things on? Expensive, but I hear they are very high quality...
Old 08-21-2004, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its a 310mm disk (12.2"), so not knowing how big the caliper is I woudl say maybe a 17" to be on the real safe side. Might be able to fit under a 16 not sure though. I will see if I can find more info.

Edit: a 330mm Disk kit for a subaru needs a 17" or larger wheel. So going off that example I would say a 17"+ would be good. Thats also if your asking about the first kit I listed. The king smart kit im not sure, I asked the guy what size wheel would be needed to clear there 4 piston front brake kit & it only needs a 16". So if you want to stick to smaller wheels for less mass then the king smart might be better.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks man! I have 15x7 Works right now. Maybe I'll wait until I find my dream rims...Work RSZ-R's in 16x7.

Al.Truistic
aB
Originally Posted by chucksu
Its a 310mm disk (12.2"), so not knowing how big the caliper is I woudl say maybe a 17" to be on the real safe side. Might be able to fit under a 16 not sure though. I will see if I can find more info.

Edit: a 330mm Disk kit for a subaru needs a 17" or larger wheel. So going off that example I would say a 17"+ would be good. Thats also if your asking about the first kit I listed. The king smart kit im not sure, I asked the guy what size wheel would be needed to clear there 4 piston front brake kit & it only needs a 16". So if you want to stick to smaller wheels for less mass then the king smart might be better.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member

Just a thought...but I know that on Civic's you can do Si rear brake upgrade, or GSR rear upgrade. They have 4 x 100 just like the xB and xA. I have not recieved my xB yet, so I cannot compare. I have a friend that did a rear conversion on his Del Sol...anyways, just a thought for those ingenuous peeps out there wanting to fab a kit, that is less bling, and more of a stock appearance.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Marble
Just a thought...but I know that on Civic's you can do Si rear brake upgrade, or GSR rear upgrade. They have 4 x 100 just like the xB and xA. I have not recieved my xB yet, so I cannot compare. I have a friend that did a rear conversion on his Del Sol...anyways, just a thought for those ingenuous peeps out there wanting to fab a kit, that is less bling, and more of a stock appearance.
What car would you say get them from though? Not to many toyotas share all these parts like the hondas do. I think the only modern rear brake car toyota has that is a 4x100 is the MR-2. Some one made a kit using parts for I think it was a old corolla or something like that.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...highlight=disk
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2670
Old 08-22-2004, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member

Well I did use "ingenuous" in my previous post. Since the Civic shares the 4x100 lug pattern, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, the parts from an Si, or GSR may work (or VTEC model Del Sol). Never know. When I get my xB, I will compare to my friends Del Sol that did his disc upgrade (not disk, ;)). You don't necessarily have to stick to Toyota parts. Just my $.02.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Rear Disc Brakes

I purchased & installed the OEM style rear disc brake coversion from highonscion.com. Complete kit les than a grand & about 2 hours to install. This little ____ stops so fast it will sling the filling out of your teeth. I have all (3) Hotchkis bars & 215/40 - 18" tires also. So now it's like driving a go-kart. COOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

Old 08-26-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Marble
That is because all Civics 88-00 and Integras 90-01 had the same rear suspensions. Most Civics had drums, some had discs, and all Integras had discs. So you could just take the Integra trailing arm and bolt it right up to the Civic, everything was the same. I did this to my Civic and it is an easy swap. But if you are suggesting someone tries to put Honda rear discs on a Scion you are dreaming as their rear suspensions are completely different in every way.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While on this topic has any where asked the guys at www.fastbrakes.com to build a bigger front brake kit & rear disc conversion?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i know brian hasty. i already intended on asking him if he'd take a look at it for me. i'm on it
Old 08-29-2004, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lip
i know brian hasty. i already intended on asking him if he'd take a look at it for me. i'm on it
Is that the guy from fast brakes? If so see if he could make a few kits. I my self would want to go with the 10.2" 4 Piston brake upgrade & a rear disk conversion. I would want it to be able to fit under a 15" wheel because I want to keep rotating weight down. Also for those who like 17"+ make a kit that would fill up those gaps that they cause. That would be so sweet
Old 08-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i'll let you know what we find out.

yes...brian hastey owns fastbrakes
Old 09-25-2004, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lip
i'll let you know what we find out.

yes...brian hastey owns fastbrakes
:oops: I know this is a little old. I want to see whats going on, did you find out any thing
Old 09-25-2004, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are these rear conversions really giving that much more stopping power? I would imagine that the xB, like most front wheel drive cars w/ rear drum brakes, has the vast majority of its stopping force directed to the front disk brakes. So, changing the rears to disks might not actually deliver a significant increase. Also, if the rear brakes are upgraded and do in fact have increased clamping load, wouldn't this screw up the proportional brake bias that has been engineered into the car? Anyway, this is definitely a question and not a statement. I read an article a few months ago about how many big brake upgrades (for the front) may feel better due to more responsive pistons in the new calipers, but that in fact they end up rendering the rear brakes virtually useless unless there are modifications to the distribution valve. This got me thinking about some of these rear conversions. Just food for thought.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i forward Brian to this thread to take a look at it
Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Minsk99
Are these rear conversions really giving that much more stopping power? I would imagine that the xB, like most front wheel drive cars w/ rear drum brakes, has the vast majority of its stopping force directed to the front disk brakes. So, changing the rears to disks might not actually deliver a significant increase. Also, if the rear brakes are upgraded and do in fact have increased clamping load, wouldn't this screw up the proportional brake bias that has been engineered into the car? Anyway, this is definitely a question and not a statement. I read an article a few months ago about how many big brake upgrades (for the front) may feel better due to more responsive pistons in the new calipers, but that in fact they end up rendering the rear brakes virtually useless unless there are modifications to the distribution valve. This got me thinking about some of these rear conversions. Just food for thought.
All good points. In the real world it would be good to upgrade both the front & rear. With rear disk you have better cooling, less fade & when driving through water, they dry faster so I have heard. Also if you have killer wheels to clear the Wilwood front kit, then go for the rear disk to, makes it look cleaner then haveing that little drum back there.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lip
i forward Brian to this thread to take a look at it
:oops: :twisted: Sweet. Make the 11" kits, that way we can still run 15" wheels, then work on something that would clear under 17" for the guys who like that 17"+ size wheels. Pleeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeee

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Conversion