Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Shocks struts with Tein H's/ride quality with coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Shocks struts with Tein H's/ride quality with coilovers

Here's the situation.. now that spring has come around... I'm considering my suspension options again... I'm about one click away from getting Tein H-techs. But I have one nagging concern:

A lot of people have said to replace the stock shocks/struts after lowering springs. Or that the shocks/struts will wear out quickly after a year. but some people have said its fine and that the stock ones will be just fine.

My concern is... if my stock shocks can't handle it ... I'd like to have a back-up plan of shocks/struts to go with (b/c getting another set of stock ones wouldn't make any sense if they will just wear out quickly).

The problem is... I can't quite seem to find anything that might work well with the softer rate of the teins h-techs.

The Trd set is designed for use with TRD spring.. which are stiffer than stock.
But with a softer spring like the Tein Hs (well softer in the front anyway...), wouldn't that be... counterproductive?

The Koni set (which don't list xbs as an application, but list the echo) are also made for use with stiffer springs.

The Tokico adjustable springs are an option (though xb isn't listed as an app again)... but if I get those.. I'm pretty much on par with the price range for a full coilover set-up ($$$ equal to TEIN basics or tanabe s-0c type IIs).

That being the case... should I just wait and save up to get a coilover set-up and skip the H-techs?

Would a coilover set-up offer the same ride comfort as the H-techs are reported to have even though they have much stiffer spring rates?

and If so which set should I be looking at (if I don't care about drop.. in fact lower is not better, don't really care about adjustability... just better than stock ride and handling secondary)?

Oh yeah I'm still undecided about the H&R cup kit too... intriguing... but might be a lil low... there's a reason all my neighbors have SUVs on our block.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think it should be a problem runnin Teins with TRD struts. its still a spring and its still a strut. i think youll be ok.

im still trying to decide if i want Tein S tech's with TRD struts or Tein Basic Coil overs.

i cant decide
Old 02-27-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

If you are running a 1~ inch drop your stock struts will still last just as long as they would with stock springs.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

i have 21,000 miles on my stock struts with 2" spy springs that I chopped a coil off of. The struts are still perfect.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by randode
i have 21,000 miles on my stock struts with 2" spy springs that I chopped a coil off of. The struts are still perfect.
Yeah I've got like 9k of hard miles on sleeve over coilovers and theyre almost 3.0 inch drop sturts are pretty dead but not blown , I dont mind i've been used to extremely lowered cars for a long time so....
Old 02-28-2005, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by randode
Yeah I've got like 9k of hard miles on sleeve over coilovers and theyre almost 3.0 inch drop sturts are pretty dead but not blown , I dont mind i've been used to extremely lowered cars for a long time so....
i'm just stoked to have gotten 21,000 miles out of my tires. All of my previous lowered cars ate tires every 6 months.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Yeah my other cars ate tires about once a year.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would it effect tire wear? is it the camber alignment?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just saw this post.

Anyone else haveing tire wear problems with the dropped box?