Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

sloppy rear e brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default sloppy rear e brakes

anyone noticing that the rear e brake is relly sloppy and won't hold as good as it should. my box is less that a year and i started to notice it within the second month.
no sense taking it in cuz all their gonna do is tighten the tension of the e brake cables. so i just save the time and did it myself. when i pull the e brake i don't even pull it till the last click. cuz i think thats to much. i only pull it until the third or fourth click which it should hold. so is it just me or anyone else noticing it?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rear breaks are Drum breaks, they won't ever hold as good as the front disks. you may notice when you stop hard that the box tends to pull left and or right slightly... this is because drum breaks can't distribute stopping power evenly to both sides, where as disk breaks can. it's not your box, it is how all drum breaks are... also the factory shoes on the rear drums are sh!tty.. i suggest getting some shoes that have a higher friction rating, or better yet upgrade to rear disks
when it comes to the e-brake, yeah, tighten the cabel as often as you need to. with heat and use, it will streach, thats normal. some experience it more then others, i try not to use it unless i am on a hill cuz i think it warps the shoes and drums unncesicerily. probobly an old wives tale, but hey....
Old 12-08-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes the rear are drums. but from all the mechanic classes and training i did. it has been said that drums will never stop as good as disc, but the drum brake design is the best choice at a stop position due to the mechanics of the drum and pads position.

and i do notice the wondering when i brake.