Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Smoothest riding suspension without giving up handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well in theory the airlift bags should negate the extra weight.

I probably will skip the springs, at least at first... I am still looking at a $400 suspension upgrade doing the following (copy/paste from my planning file):

www.partshippers.com
Progress Tech Rear Swaybar - Partshippers.com - $145
Shipping - 10.82

www.partsamerica.com
Monroe Sensatrac 5987 - www.partsamerica.com - 68.88
Free Shipping

www.summitracing.com
Airlift helper airbags, 60774 - summit racing - 69.88
Energy suspension Endlink Bushings9.8105R - summit racing- 8.95
Handling 9.95

www.onetongarage.com
3/8" Spacer Shims - $70
Free Shipping

Local Purchase
2x Grade 5 4" bolts + 2 Nylock Nuts

Debating the OTG shims as I am not doing rims yet, but a little wider track would be nice not to mention the cosmetic gains.

Should offset the "heavy load" I have been dealing with and give me a great bump in handling as well.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jomo
If you load your car with weight, install soft lowering springs (H-techs) and on top of that use lower compression damping shocks (Monroes), you will ride very smoothly until you hit your first big bump. You can easily bottom the front shock. Perhaps very smooth, but bottoming is a serious shortcoming.

Another bonus of using the stock springs is that a Monroe shock will work correctly for comfort.

If more handling is desired, a stiff rear sway can be added. This will have a minimum impact to the ride with maximum performance benefit. Better tires will also help here. Good luck.
I closely watch where I drive (driven lowered vehicles before) and wanted the comfort for my commuter. I rarely drive my xB with anymore more then me and maybe groceries. Everyone will use a different setup for different reasons.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a plan.

You can do better on the sway bar at Ptuning with the scionlife 5% discount. ~$143 and shipped free. Gtworx also has the Whiteline for cheap, $123 + shipping (but long delivery).

With regard to the helper bags, they are rear only. The front springs are the springs in danger of bottoming with the H-tech/Monroe/airbag/1200lb combo.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06B0X
I closely watch where I drive (driven lowered vehicles before) and wanted the comfort for my commuter. I rarely drive my xB with anymore more then me and maybe groceries. Everyone will use a different setup for different reasons.
There is nothing wrong with your setup, in fact it is a very comfortable and reliable one for most situations. The initial post from Notacop described high potential of loading the car to 1200lbs. The H-tech setup you describe could be a problem for this weight (bottoming)
Old 10-04-2006, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

jomo you got it going on Bro!!! We think too much alike. lol
Old 10-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that according to the folks who make your box, it's maximum load limit is 825 pounds, which would be maybe three 250 pounders plus change...

I don't know what the primary limiting factors are, tires, axles, bearings, unibody stresses, or what, but they obviously think much more than that is too much for the design.

Just mentioning...
Old 10-04-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jomo
Sounds like a plan.

You can do better on the sway bar at Ptuning with the scionlife 5% discount. ~$143 and shipped free. Gtworx also has the Whiteline for cheap, $123 + shipping (but long delivery).

With regard to the helper bags, they are rear only. The front springs are the springs in danger of bottoming with the H-tech/Monroe/airbag/1200lb combo.

Thanks for the tips on the pricing.

The front will be stock struts, not going monroe there. And the bulk of the weight is over the rear, with that being rear seat passengers and stereo equipment in the back.

But I will probably skip the springs, for both price, and marital harmony reasons
Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Keep in mind that according to the folks who make your box, it's maximum load limit is 825 pounds, which would be maybe three 250 pounders plus change...

I don't know what the primary limiting factors are, tires, axles, bearings, unibody stresses, or what, but they obviously think much more than that is too much for the design.

Just mentioning...

Interesting, I did not know that.

Odd that it has the interior space to fit 4, 300 pounders easily (especially when those are mid 6 foot range 300 pounders, with weight in the up direction not just the out direction), but it is not rate to haul that kind of load.

Judging from what I have seen with it loaded down, I expect the reason it is limited is purely suspension. The load rating of the tires can handle it no problem. Could be other reasons, but I am willing to bet it is the suspension.... which I plan to address
Old 10-05-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

here is my set up
progress coil overs
Koni rear shocks
OTG spacers
awesome ride
JUst changed out
Tenabe' df210's
Monroe's

The new set up rocks
Old 10-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

My 2 cents ..

When i got the box, i couldnt ride any longer then an hour, otherwise my back would kill me!

A month later i went to Tein H-Techs. Slightly lower and no more back aches.

A year later and i was tired of looking stock compared to everyone else. I went with the Progress springs and rear sway. I love it. Over little imperfections you really dont feel it. Cornering ... the spring tightens up and it corners like its on rails. I absolutely love this set up and have turned several onto it as well with no complaints.

I did try the Monroes ( 5870 ) and it made my ride too soft. I like to corner hard and push this box every day.

I would say, try sticking to the stock set up with the Monroes in the rear. Add the Progress sway and a strut bar up front. Try that, and if you still want a softer ride, then look into the Tein Hs ( cause they wont give that big of a drop ).

I would stay away from the air bags in the rear. With you only carting peeps around once in a blue moon you will need to keep those bags partially filled or deflated all together. This will only cut the life span of those bags damatically.

I have the Progess springs, where my GF has the GoldLines. When we both change over to stock wheels for the winter i sit lower then she does.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

oh I am also waiting on a progress sway bar..it should ride like it is on rails....
Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Just ordered a Progress RSB myself. Hope it arrives before next weekend!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Good info guys...keep it coming!