Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Spring install question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member

Default Spring install question.

I am a bit of a noobie.

I went through the spring install and it seems very straightforward. Just one question 'springs' to mind. (sorry, couldn't resist)

When taking the 'big nut' off the strut, the spring pops out, right? So when putting the new spring on do you need something to compress the new spring? Can one person do it by hand while another puts the big nut on?

sorry if this is a dumb question...

Also, I was thinking of putting the springs on in the 'springtime' and taking them off in the fall, does anyone else do this?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes it's easy if you have someone to push down on the front springs while you put the big nut on. The rears are extra easy :D .
Old 04-12-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you are by yourself, it would be best to borrow a set of those cheap spring compressors from autozone or some place like that to clamp down the springs a little to help putting the nut on. if you have a friend, he can probably push down on the spring enough to get the nut on the thread.

taking them off in the fall seems silly. i guess if you live in an area where you need clearance in the winter it would make sense, but it's not like the 2" from lowering springs makes it low to the point where it will get stuck everywhere. i'd just keep them on.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

If you are looking to raise and lower your car according to the season, you would be better suited with the ground control coilovers. I know here in the East, when it snows, the front of a lowered car can end up being a snow plow, so I got the coilovers so I can raise it up in the winter time.

ncscion is selling is GC c/o's right now for 400 bucks, which is 15 to 50 bucks cheaper than anywhere else. and they are new. [url]https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10643[/url
You should think about that....

Doc
Old 04-14-2004, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Spring install question.

Originally Posted by stickboy
I am a bit of a noobie.

I went through the spring install and it seems very straightforward. Just one question 'springs' to mind. (sorry, couldn't resist)

When taking the 'big nut' off the strut, the spring pops out, right? So when putting the new spring on do you need something to compress the new spring? Can one person do it by hand while another puts the big nut on?

sorry if this is a dumb question...

Also, I was thinking of putting the springs on in the 'springtime' and taking them off in the fall, does anyone else do this?

Depends on what springs you go with.
On my 2" Goldlines,that I love by the way,one person can do it.
No need at all for a spring compressor.
The springs are not hard to change at all.The rear is cake.
Front is a little more challenging.But it is cake as well.
PM me for any specific questions.