Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Springs: To Tien or not to Tien

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Springs: To Tien or not to Tien

Here's a quick question for all you kind folks: Looking for a nice one-inch drop for an xA (with TRD shock/struts). After doing some searching (about 1.5 hours of thread reading) it looks like people are split between preference of the Tien H.tech and the TRDs.

Do the Teins actually give you a better ride? I've heard the Tiens give you a smoother ride, but I've heard various different opinions about the TRDs. Is there a huge difference between the two, like different metals or more flexibility? Or will I just be better off getting the TRDs and having them covered under warranty?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the TRD's i think they ride nice compared to stock, just a little bit more of a sporty feel to them, however i wish i went with the 2" goldlines
Old 05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't go two inches unless I had adjustable coilovers. But that's just me, I guess... I'm scared of steep driveways
Old 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tein hi-techs ride much smoother than stock
Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

TEIN!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would go tiens over TRDs if those were my two options. A 2" drop is not hard at all to drive daily. I pull in and out of some VERY steep stuff and dont scrape with my RS*R springs. So personally I would go with something a little lower like the S-Techs, RS*Rs or even Goldlines.

But, if you are just looking for something to ride better and have a really subtle/barley notice its dropped then go with the H-Techs. You will love them.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ok folks, this helped immensely. Here's another good one: the Tiens will be a smoother ride, but will it give me better cornering over the TRDs? It doesn't sound like I should be expecting miracles with only a 1" drop, but I'll take what I can get.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Zeeness
Ok folks, this helped immensely. Here's another good one: the Tiens will be a smoother ride, but will it give me better cornering over the TRDs? It doesn't sound like I should be expecting miracles with only a 1" drop, but I'll take what I can get.
The H-Techs are not for performance than it is a comfort spring. The S-tech is for performance and for comfort. If you want the H-Techs with better cornering, I would recomend getting the Hotchkis Swaybars as well. :D

Hope this helps, oh and I got a call from the post office about your exhaust. I am getting it tomorrow. :D

Old 05-25-2005, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Stylis
I am getting it tomorrow. :D
Sweet!

Yeah I was thinking about getting a swaybar, but only a rear one. I've been told having a front one can cause understeering.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by The Zeeness
Yeah I was thinking about getting a swaybar, but only a rear one. I've been told having a front one can cause understeering.
If you want a sway bar, get the Progress rear bar.

Yes a beefier front sway bar will cause more understeer. The Progress bar is 4 x's as beefy as the Hotchkis rear bar. Another plus, you won't have to pay an additional $100 for the front install. The Progress rear bar can be installed in the driveway.

Mark (TheScionicMan) did a great write-up on the install of the Progress bar, saving at least another $30 for mods, instead of paying someone to do it for you.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by squirrel
Mark (TheScionicMan) did a great write-up on the install of the Progress bar, saving at least another $30 for mods, instead of paying someone to do it for you.
I had read his write-up the other day, and it looked good. If I get a rear bar, progress is my first choice.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default teins

get the teins, they drop it perfect, not too low and when people get in the car it gets lower so the gap is eliminated. i turn corners a little quicker, also i recomment while changing the springs you might as well put a strut bar on at the same time, i went with the dc sport, it goes for aa hundred bucks and adds to the stability of the car during cornering.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I vote for tein over trd... unless you deal with your dealer service techs often and don't want hassles if something goes wrong with the suspension (but even then... they might claim improper install or something).