Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

sway bars - rear only!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default sway bars - rear only!

so, i'm a huge fan of sway bars... i put a rear one on my 2.5rs impreza and it turned if from a understeering fwd type beast, into a completely neutral, 4 wheel drift machine. now i know that the xB will never be a 4 wheel drift machine, but why put a front sway bar on? i just don't get it. i don't want more understeer.... i want less. now because hotchkiss is the only manufacture of sway bars right now, we have only had the option of putting on front AND rear. but i honestly couldn't understand putting on ANOTHER rear, and then a front to counter act the rear. doesn't make sense to me.
not to mention the added weight of adding both front and rear (and not just replacing the OEM rear). (almost forgot to mention the added install cost of the front; the rear can be done easily diy)

so i've been waiting for someone to come out with a rear only, and it seems someone is:
http://www.ptuning.com/html/search-r...d=pro&cmbYear=

anyone know about "Progress Technology"? they make good stuff?

anyone care to comment on the rear vs. the front&rear sway bar? my ideal would be an adjustable rear like the whiteline one i had on my suby...
Old 04-13-2004, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check this out:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10388
Old 04-13-2004, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Progress products are excellent quality.....defently worth the money...my dad had there springs and rear sway bar on his Focus wagon.....they were great...highly recommended
Old 04-13-2004, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Minsk99
yeah i read that before... but it applies to the hotchkis sway bars specifically. i do think that you should install both front and rear if you buy the hotchkis -- they are created to work together. however, now that it appears as though we will have a rear only option, i wanted to get some input into the front/rear vs. only rear general debate - not in relation to hotchkis only.

i really don't want to add 2 bars, paying ~$300 installation, when i can replace 1 for free with the same (and even maybe better) affect on handling.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The thing about the Progress rear bar is its 19 mm...that means its to replace the factory one....and the factory rear is welded on....this could be alot of work cutting the stock off.....UNLESS a big unless here the Progress is alot made to be added on like the hotchkis rear is
Old 04-13-2004, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting point... i didn't know the stock one is welded on (how lame and cheap of them - but it is a cheap car). we'll have to wait to find out if the progress is added or stand alone...
Old 04-13-2004, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This one might be more generic discussion about the merits of front sway.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8319
Old 04-14-2004, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone have any info ont the cost or release date of the progress sway bar? perhaps someone knows how much their sways are on avg...