Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Tein H techs with stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tein H techs with stock shocks

I am going to buy some Tein H Techs because I want to improve handling and get rid of the huge xA wheel gap. Will it be totally fine to leave the stock shocks/struts in? The drop is very subtle... just approx. 1 inch. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It saves time and money in the long run getting them as a package.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you should also look into hub shims like OTG. I noticed the fender gap after I lowered my box on h-techs. about the struts most people I know run the stock struts and shocks w/no problems.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by LeonDaCleaner
you should also look into hub shims like OTG. I noticed the fender gap after I lowered my box on h-techs. about the struts most people I know run the stock struts and shocks w/no problems.
This is good to know, about the factory shocks/struts cause I'm gonna buy the H techs also...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you think you are going to do the struts in the future you might want to pony up and do them at the same time, since to add the new springs you need to take the front struts out anyways...
Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had H-techs on the box for a while now. I didn't want a drastic drop and I was into the idea of a so called "softer" ride. In my opinion the ride didn't really soften up, but I did notice more body roll. I am not so sure these springs are really conducive to "better handling". Its not a huge deal for me, but it depends on your definition of what a better ride is. At this point I would like to have better conering ability since the "softer ride" thing didn't work out, but I am not sure what spring will be comparable as far as lowering specs. I know the TRD's are about the same and are stiffer, but I have heard people complaining about how the rear sits lower then the front....I am all set with that.

Kind got off on a tangent there.....anyway, I have had the springs on for 32000 with the stock shocks & struts w/no problems.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The H-techs are more of luxury springs and just give the car a nice drop. I dont think their made for "handling" purposes especially with stock shocks. If you want more of a handling kinda suspension i would suggest you would get some Eibachs w/ some aftermarket suspension.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattxb
I have had H-techs on the box for a while now. I didn't want a drastic drop and I was into the idea of a so called "softer" ride. In my opinion the ride didn't really soften up, but I did notice more body roll. I am not so sure these springs are really conducive to "better handling". Its not a huge deal for me, but it depends on your definition of what a better ride is. At this point I would like to have better conering ability since the "softer ride" thing didn't work out, but I am not sure what spring will be comparable as far as lowering specs. I know the TRD's are about the same and are stiffer, but I have heard people complaining about how the rear sits lower then the front....I am all set with that.

Kind got off on a tangent there.....anyway, I have had the springs on for 32000 with the stock shocks & struts w/no problems.

hmmm, I've noticed alot of body roll has been diminished, and handling has been upgraded. I can go around corners about 5-10 mph more then with stock springs.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hayalex6
Originally Posted by mattxb

hmmm, I've noticed alot of body roll has been diminished, and handling has been upgraded. I can go around corners about 5-10 mph more then with stock springs.
Really??? I was under the impression that the H-tech spring had a lower spring rate then the stockers....could be wrong, I was just going by how the care felt after they were swithed out.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ It's probably because the Teins are progressive rate vs. the linear (sucky) OEM springs.

In response to the origional post, I'd get the Monroe SensaTrac shocks/struts for when you do the springs. If you do a search on here people are saying the work great together, and they are also very affordable.