Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TEIN SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 08:43 PM

Default TEIN SPRINGS

has anyone tried the TEIN H-TECH(-1.1" F; -0.9" B) or the TEIN S-TECH(-1.7" F; -1.5" B)? how does it compare to other brands?
Old 02-12-2004, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

look down a few posts about the s. techs. i've got them and i like them.

the h. tech aren't out yet for the xB.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have pics of the s tech drop instead of the ones from tein website
Old 02-12-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

someone has the h-tech on ebay. they arent even green.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

westsype- i'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.

LVXB - yes the h. tech's are gold... always have been; it looks like they just released them for the xB: http://tein.com/scion.html
i was on there 2 days ago and they were "in development" like the xA springs...
Old 02-12-2004, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just wanna know on the ride? how is it...better than stock...more or less bounce?
Old 02-12-2004, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

jomo says on this thread about the s.techs:

"Looks like I am the first one to install these springs and I must say, I am kind of disappointed. The stock shocks do not work well with the new spring rate. The springs are less harsh (which is a nice change), but the shocks do not control the softer spring with enough dampening. Perhaps I expected too much.

The drop does looks good (1.75"+ all around). A bit more than I expected."
thread here:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6350

I dunno - only $139 but I'm still wonderin' about the ride...
Old 02-12-2004, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2459929754

thats the link for the htech auction. do we share spring sizes with rx-8's or it just an auction gimmick?

six months ago i was planning on getting tein but they took way too long to come out. Now id have a hard time going high up again. 2inches of drop is perfect for me
Old 02-12-2004, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

highend - yeah it seems tha jomo and myself are the only ones with the s.tech; he doesn't like them (or at least didn't recieve the handling he expected) and i do like them. i wasn't looking for comfort, but for a firmer, better handling ride and that's what i think i got. i do agree with him that the stock shocks/struts could be better, but these are springs, not coilovers, so i wasn't expecting perfection.

is the ride less hard/bumpier then stock? no.
does it handle better and flatter then stock? yes.

personally i don't think a spring can do both. it seems that the springs to get if you are looking for a better "ride" is the spys/goldlines/tanabes. for performance it would be eibach/hotchkis/tein (s.tech).

now the h.tech i'm sure ride smoother -- the spring rate is lower and that's what they are for. but the drop is only about 1"... so LVXB i'd recommend the s.tech's (or another manufacture if you want a smoother ride). and if you do want the h.tech's give adventon.com a call and see when they'll get them in... the s.techs were only $139, i'm sure the h.techs will be cheaper then ebay.

again, i think you get springs for EITHER their smoother ride OR their better handling. anyone who tells you their springs do both is just happy about the springs they got and think they got the best ones. but who says perception isn't everything?
Old 02-12-2004, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the Teins really need a shock that is designed to their spring charateristics. The stock shock I think is a poor match. I you push down on the rear suspension, the return is not totally fluid. The valving in the shock will let the spring return 95% of the way and then slowly return the last 5%. This is strange. Shock dampening should increase as a function of velocity (when its moving fast, not slow). This may be because the location/angle of the shock in the lowered position. I'm going to check the torque on the shock bolts to make sure there is nothing binding. I don't think I'll find anything though. As I said in a earlier e-mail, I think the stock shock would work better with a linear spring that is not lowered so much. This should put the shock in a "more normal" position and the spring characteristic (linear) should better match the shock.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks for all the info cowboy and jomo! I think ultimately what I need to do is take a ride in a few diff peoples cars and get a feel for the different springs out there. Just got my tax money, so I'm *real* close to gettin some stuff for my xb. I'll keep all that you guys said in mind and let you know what i end up doin -
Old 02-13-2004, 02:40 PM

does anyone think the ebay tein springs are at a good price?
Old 02-14-2004, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i upload pics of my drop with the tein springs over in the tire forum:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6985

theorientonline - to answer your question, are they more then $139? if so, go to adventon.com...
Old 02-16-2004, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i just ordered the tein s tech springs from http://www.optionimports.com/teslospfor2012.html
which was cheaper then http://www.adventon.com/ after shipping and tax....adventon tried to rip me on shipping.....
ill post pics after i put them on
Old 02-16-2004, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionxb04
i just ordered the tein s tech springs from http://www.optionimports.com/teslospfor2012.html
which was cheaper then http://www.adventon.com/ after shipping and tax....adventon tried to rip me on shipping.....
yeah i thought their shipping costs were kinda high, which is why i picked them up at the store. of course i live close and have that option. ;)

look forward to knowing what you think about em.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just wanted to update my thoughts a little on the TEIN springs. The springs have been in now about two weeks and have had time to settle. I've also gone back over the installation and made sure everything was torqued correctly, etc.

The springs have "firmed-up" over the two weeks. I think my initial impressions of softness were because springs were not fully settled. This made the handling loose. The car would squeal around corners that it would not have normally. The car now handles much better, but only as good as the stock shocks will allow. The drop is perfect. The car is more even now than the original set up.

I still think that the stock shocks are not a very good match for the springs or at least not to my liking. Has anybody tried the TRD struts/shocks with a non-TRD, progressive, 2" drop??? I talked to KONI and they say that the Echo strut and shock should be the same as the XB. But they haven't tried it out yet......The KONI's are pretty expensive as well......

Overall, I'm pretty happy.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

dunno anyone with just springs from tein
Old 02-19-2004, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This guy.!
Old 02-22-2004, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i installed my tein s tech's couple days ago....been praticing a road by my house thats fairly new and takes a real nice sharp turn.....after the spring install body roll was almost gone and i could take the corner about 13mph faster and it felt solid....freeway driving felt way smoother according to my roommate who goes to the same college as i so he rides with me almost everyday and he said he noticed a huge difference himself....i would highly recommend these springs.....and the drop with my 18's is oh so nice....i have a perfect gap all the way around the tire.....all i hear from people at the college "damn thats clean"
Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah your XB is clean. How much did the S-Tech's lower it? I just installed the TRD springs but I think I want to go a little lower. I've only had them on for a couple of days, and I am not sure if they are gonna settle lower. Did your get lower over time? I here the S-tech's have NO sag.