Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

trd struts AND springs on an Xb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default trd struts AND springs on an Xb?

Should I go with the TRD shock/strut kit and the TRD springs or just go with the springs? I only want about a 1" drop. I am just concerned with the ride quality and bottoming out the shock if I get the stock(non-trd) ones.

Does any one have any experience with this?

Hopefully, I will be puting my order in for the box in about a week or two
Old 01-24-2006, 02:43 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ppl on here are riding on a 2 inch drop on stock struts and springs

its all about personal prefrences really i was close to buying trd springs but i wanted some thing close to it but slightly little lower so i went with the tanabe NF210 with the trd struts and shock dampeners
Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The TRD struts will have a smoother ride with the TRD springs. They were made to go together. The stock struts will work but bigger bumps will be a little harsh.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the TRD shock/strut combo and it's a pretty rough ride. When it was new it was VERY stiff and jarring, but that is exactly what I liked/wanted(not the jarring part). The shocks wore out way too fast and now are very mushy but the ride is still fairly rough and jarring.

Keep in mind though, I also have 19" wheels and alot of what I'm feeling can be attributed to that. With a smaller diameter wheel youll prolly be fine, but If I were to do it all over, I wouldn't get the TRD shocks/struts. They just wore out WAY to fast.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What springs did you go with. I am only looking into the trd springs because I only want a 1" drop. Has anybody got the trd springs with the stock shocks? I want to have a close to stock ride quality.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

For what it's worth.I'm running on TRD HD Struts and HD Shocks and a set of progresive springs with about a 2" drop.The ride is a bit stiffer than the stock set up with the stock tires.I have a set of 17" rims and tires going on in a few weeks,I suspect the ride is going to get even more harsh.All in all the DA BOX has a good driving feel.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by stangdude22
What springs did you go with. I am only looking into the trd springs because I only want a 1" drop. Has anybody got the trd springs with the stock shocks? I want to have a close to stock ride quality.
I have the TRD springs and the TRD shocks/struts. You should still have a close to stock ride quality by only going with the springs. They were designed to ride like stock as well as lowereing the car some. Prolly most of my harsh ride comes from my shocks and my larger wheels with lo pro tires.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have TRD shocks and struts and springs. I was using stock with the springs for a while and it was fine. I didn't really notice any harsh bumps and I drive around DC all the time. When I upgraded the shocks and struts to TRD the ride was noticably better as far as handling, however it did also get a tiny bit stiffer too.

In the end I really didn't notice a difference in the harshness of going over bumps as much as I did the handling of the car. It's been said over and over again, the TRD shocks struts and springs should have come with the car. I mainly went with the TRD springs because I wanted to be a bit lower but I didn't want to scrap on the potholes around here. After being dropped 1" since the summer, I kinda wish I could go a 1/2"-1" lower. The wheel gap is almost the same as stock and unless I'm next to another xb at stock height you really would never know that I was dropped.