Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

What struts/shocks are ideal for S-Tech Springs on xA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What struts/shocks are ideal for S-Tech Springs on xA?

Okay, at first I wanted to put the S-Tech with the stock struts/shocks on for now, since the car is still new. Then upon reading more I read people are having struts/shocks issue after 10-15k, so I am thinking what struts are good then for the S-Tech?

I have read people using TRD struts/shocks, and I wonder is that the only ideal solution? Surely many still use the stock ones and are happy, so I am a bit confused...besides, the TRD struts/shocks can get quite expensive.

Thanks all!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can find the TRD shocks/struts for about $300. Yeah, that might be a little steep for some people, but if you want more, Tokico also makes 15-way adjustable dampers for like $550. It depends on what you're looking for.

You could always drop them on the stock struts and then switch to the TRD struts when/if they blow out... or you could do it now. Either way, they will both give you that drop.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I hear the TRD struts are real stiff. I've only heard of one person who bought them and they swapped the stock ones back in because they were too stiff...
Old 10-04-2004, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my friend is doing that for me free of charge, but I figured it's easier to do both at the same time, especially for the front, so to save him some troubles. At first I have read people saying stock struts/shocks work fine, and I was thinking how long would they last? Upon reading more about this topic, I found 15k max and that's not a whole lot. That's why I am thinking about doing both at the same time. Of course, getting just the springs vs the whole set yield a bigger difference in cost; that's the decision I guess. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2004, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump!

Anyone else have any input?
Old 10-05-2004, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go with the Tokico. Might cost more, but you get a bigger range of options. You can fine tune how the ride is so it is not to stiff.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think my wife cares too much about harsh ride, after being in both of my cars. I am just concern of reliability of using stock struts/shocks with S-Tech or if aftermarket struts/shocks are needed to match the stiffer springs. I think the TRD is expensive already, and adjustability isn't really a big concern since the xA is not really a sport car. I just want her to handle better (safer), looks better (drop) and cuter (already is).

Thanks!