Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Whats better, coilovers or bags...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just can not stand air ride suspension. its so pathetic. Coilovers is the way to go because you can actually fine tune coilover type suspension. airbags only go up and down you cant adjust the dampening abilities with air bags
Old 10-24-2005, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wanted to say that with easystreet struts, u CAN adjust dampening 9 ways
Old 10-24-2005, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bags and Coilovers are two totally different ballgames though. Bags are made entirely for show/looks purposes. Where Coilovers are intended for performance.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crazy_kat_matt
I just can not stand air ride suspension. its so pathetic. Coilovers is the way to go because you can actually fine tune coilover type suspension. airbags only go up and down you cant adjust the dampening abilities with air bags
and thats where you are wrong. I just can't stand coilovers, where you actually have to get under the car just to adjust the heighth... sheesh.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and yes, my front suspension, that is on air, has 9 way adjusting dampener or whatever you call that ****. I dont care about the "performance" so instead of talking your smack, try to think of what the purpose of most air is for.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL yea true but then you dont have to worry about one of the bags popping, not that its very common, but possible
Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL yea true but then you dont have to worry about one of the bags popping, not that its very common, but possible
maybe if you can't do a good install. I have had a truck on air for over 4 years and never popped a bag.

I dunno what problems could arise with a coilover, but my guess there could be problems?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends. worst is having to reload the shocks. to have the gas reloaded. if you dont know how. have to take it apart, and send it to the dealer to have it reloaded
Old 10-24-2005, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: the lowest xb/bb on coilovers

*edit*
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You, and many others here obviously know absolutely nothing about air suspension. Even the "cheap" Air Lift kit offers adjustable dampening. And you can get it in the rear as well with a set of Koni (or other adjustable) shocks.

And if you really think a bagged car can't handle, I would challenge you to go up against any of the thousands of cars bagged using Air Ride Technologies components. Their Shockwaves simply can't be beat. Even adding the adjustable HAL QA1 shocks does wonders for one of their standard air suspension kits.

Beyond that there are even more ways to make a pneumatic suspension exponentially out-perform a coil-over suspension. If you couple a pneumatic suspension with electronically controlled shocks you get a combination that can't be beat. You can control not only your spring rate, but your dampening as well from the comfort of the drivers seat... ON THE FLY! Try doing that with a set of coil-overs.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

SURE ILL CHALLENGE. ILL TURN MY COILOVER WRENCH INTO A PUNCTURING TOOL AND PUNCTURE THE ____ OUTTA AN AIRBAG beat that, you cant puncture coilovers now can ya can ya?! CAN YA! lol just keeding
Old 10-24-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by RTon20s
You, and many others here obviously know absolutely nothing about air suspension. Even the "cheap" Air Lift kit offers adjustable dampening. And you can get it in the rear as well with a set of Koni (or other adjustable) shocks.

And if you really think a bagged car can't handle, I would challenge you to go up against any of the thousands of cars bagged using Air Ride Technologies components. Their Shockwaves simply can't be beat. Even adding the adjustable HAL QA1 shocks does wonders for one of their standard air suspension kits.

Beyond that there are even more ways to make a pneumatic suspension exponentially out-perform a coil-over suspension. If you couple a pneumatic suspension with electronically controlled shocks you get a combination that can't be beat. You can control not only your spring rate, but your dampening as well from the comfort of the drivers seat... ON THE FLY! Try doing that with a set of coil-overs.
um yeah untill a line blows or a bag pops while you're out racing your bagged vehicle , you lose control and then die.......

oh and if airbags are sooo superior to coilovers why arent they in racing use? whereas just about ALL racing uses coilovers.........
Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05

um yeah untill a line blows or a bag pops while you're out racing your bagged vehicle , you lose control and then die.......

oh and if airbags are sooo superior to coilovers why arent they in racing use? whereas just about ALL racing uses coilovers.........
You want to know why you don't see air bags in many forms of racing? Mostly because they have been outlawed. For the most part, no matter what type of motor sport you are talking about they do not want the ability to adjust suspension while riding in the car.

I have seen pictures from back in the 1950s when stock cars used to run on the sand out in Daytona. You know what was painted on the side of the car? The Air Lift Logo.

And to your comment about blowing lines and air bags...

A properly engineered and installed air suspension is just as reliable as a static suspension. Any failure that takes place will be due to manufacturing flaws, not system design and installation. If pneumatic suspension systems were not reliable they wouldn't be factory installed equipment on the majority of luxury vehicles and almost every single tractor trailer in America.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

manufacturing defect or not a blown bag or line at 100mph will kill....
and they arent outlawed because you could adjust inside the car. the system could be setup before the race and have no inside adjustment. it's about safety , weight , and moving parts , lines , and being a much more complicated system.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

riddle me this one RTon

how can u adjust the stiffness of a bagged suspension without changing the ride height

pressure = lift or drop

now there are some specialty kits out there for WRX's and other sports cars
not to mention the OEM air suspensions
but these are in no way feasable on our vehicles

the rally guys have implemented a "stiffen-on-the-fly" suspension system
it is controlled by a computer
and adjusts dampening by magnetizing a iron based fluid to stiffen/soften the ride
it does this thousands of times per second
requires very accurate ride height sensors
and costs more than 30 xB's to have custom made for the car
Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and they arent outlawed because you could adjust inside the car. the system could be setup before the race and have no inside adjustment. it's about safety , weight , and moving parts , lines , and being a much more complicated system.
And a broken spring at 100 mph will do the same thing. A manufacturer's defect that causes a failure is a manufacturer's defect that causes failure. It doesn't matter of it is air, steel, aluminum, titanium, or bubble gum. A failure is a failure.

And as far as safety is concerned, pneumatic suspensions are among the safest out there. There is nothing inherently unsafe about pneumatic suspension. It is the improper design and implementation of pneumatic suspension that is unsafe. Just as improper design and implementation of a traditional steel suspension is unsafe.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TXboxdriver
riddle me this one RTon

how can u adjust the stiffness of a bagged suspension without changing the ride height

pressure = lift or drop

now there are some specialty kits out there for WRX's and other sports cars
not to mention the OEM air suspensions
but these are in no way feasable on our vehicles

the rally guys have implemented a "stiffen-on-the-fly" suspension system
it is controlled by a computer
and adjusts dampening by magnetizing a iron based fluid to stiffen/soften the ride
it does this thousands of times per second
requires very accurate ride height sensors
and costs more than 30 xB's to have custom made for the car
What you are talking about is stiffening the dampening of a car, not chaniging the spring rate. This can be done the exact same way in a pneumatic suspension as it is done in a traditional suspension. Adjusting the shocks.

If the cars were adjusting their spring rate on the fly without a ride height change, that would be different.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ignorance is bliss. read up on air before you guys wanna run your mouth. We simply came in here to defend the crap you guys were talking about air. I've had air on my car for over 4,000 miles, i don't race, but I have taken it pretty fast around corners and it handles just fine. So move on with your ignorance and talk about your coilovers now.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i'm not ignorant i've driven a few airbagged cars including two or three airbagged xb's.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

And a broken spring at 100 mph will do the same thing. A manufacturer's defect that causes a failure is a manufacturer's defect that causes failure. It doesn't matter of it is air, steel, aluminum, titanium, or bubble gum. A failure is a failure.

And as far as safety is concerned, pneumatic suspensions are among the safest out there. There is nothing inherently unsafe about pneumatic suspension. It is the improper design and implementation of pneumatic suspension that is unsafe. Just as improper design and implementation of a traditional steel suspension is unsafe.
read about how often a spring breaks.......
then read about how often bags or lines blow/break/pop. whether it's defect or instal.. springs hardly even break unless you cut them , heat them , or are grossly overloading them......

i never said air suspensions in general are unsafe but the possibility of a blown bag or line at speed has convinced me not to put air on any vehicle i will be traveling more than 70mph with.

i will have air when i get my old c10 but until then nope.

i still drive fast and hard in a slow **** xB or not.

Quick Reply: Whats better, coilovers or bags...