Notices

002's, Flares, Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default 002's, Flares, Spacers?

Ok, I had a post on here about the racer x wheels and after much deliberation I decided not to go with them due to the rubbing issue of the 15x8s.

Instead I am thinking about getting the 002s 15x8 and I already got my bbist flares in. My question is for the rears to be as flush with the flares do I need spacers. If so what size, 10mm?

I think from the looks of it the fronts will line up with the flares ok. I just don't want the back to look like I just put flares on to have them and the wheels look recessed.

I read just about every post on here on these wheels and flares but nothing really mentioning the use of spacers on the rears for the flares.

Mike
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem is that flares won't help with the fender rub issue... if you're dropped at all you're gonna want camber, and maybe a 5mm spacer in the back if you roll the fenders.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I realize the flares wont help with the rub. I have thought about going with a camber look in the rear. What negative camber adjustment would look good? I don't want to go extreme with it. Something modest in addition to a slightly stretched tire.

Can you do a spacer and camber? Who sells the camber kits? Ebay?

Mike
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-3 camber is good
yes, you can do camber and spacers, but don't do to much of a spacer.

http://www.onetongarage.com/

http://evolved-concepts.com/index.html

both of thease places do camber and spacers.
stay away from Keoki
Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A 10mm spacer will put you flush with the flare and i would go -3 chamber if you want something not to much, but if your going to run the -3 then you would need a 15mm spacer. With the 15mm spacer combined with the -3 will make you flush with the flare.

If your droped on anything that is lower than a 1.5 inch drop then your will rub no matter what.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am running S Techs.

I will look into the spacers and camber. Anyone got any pics of this setup? I have seen tons and tons of pics searching but none that really said what spacer and camber it was.

I think that a 10 mm and -3 might be better and I think that if I had negative camber that it would not look as funny not being flush because it would look intentional and not accidental.

Mike

PS... I found 15x8 Sportmax 002s Black on ebay for $370 shipped. Is this the best deal? What tires are people running that stretch well and are still good quality tires for the money?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump....

Also does everyone rivet the bbist flares? Is it stupid to just paint and 3m tape them on without the rivets?

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i run Falken 912
ive got 16x8 501s with 195/50/16 tires and they streach nice.

ive got just the -3 in the rear, i didn't add any spacers and it looks good.

i think the 15x8 002 only come in a 0 offset and that can be a problem.
thats why i went with the 501s because i wanted the 15 offset (much easied to make work)
$320 is not bad but look at the shipping, and well......... its ebay......... you might run in to some problems with the seller.

this is were i got mine from
http://www.edgeracing.com/wheels/xxr/
the will even mount and balence the tire combo for you and it comes with tunner lug nuts and hub sentric rings so all you need to do is put them on the car
Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is what it looks like with no spacers or chamber and on air.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

air is nice.
and it will help you not rub.

here is 16x8 with 15 offset and the 195/50/16 Falken 912
when i first put thease on i had a 10mm hub spacer in the rear and a little bit in the back and it rubbed so bad i had smoke comming out of my rear wheel wells.

this was with no spacers, no camber, no fender rolling, nothing in the car (no people and nothing in the very back not even a spare)
with the spare and one pasenger it would rub in the back when going over "any" bumps.

here is after i added the -3 camber and the Tein SS coilovers

it would still rub evey now and then when going over hard bumps

this is after i rolled the fenders
this pic is with driver, 1 passenger, and loaded down with all kinds of stuff on the way to a car show.

no more rubbin, EVER.

ive even had driver 3 larger then average passengers and the back full of stuff and still no rubbing, the exaust looked like it was going to touch the ground, but "NO" rubbin.

ive never realy had any problems with the front.
the front springs on the Tein SS coilovers are 220 PPI springs so they don't move around too much.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

here's 16" 002's with without camber and with camber. I am not running any spacers.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is actually helping me decide on my wheels. I am thinking 16'/8's 0 offset in the rear, 7's in the front. I have more wheel space than the xB's so I think I will do fine

Now to choose 002's or 513's
Old 09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ok, So here is the dilly yo!

I put my new wheels on... I got 002's 15x8 0mm offset. I am running 195/55/R15 tires with Tein S-Tech springs. The fronts seem to be fine with only minor inner fender well (plastic) rub. The rears.... Forget about it! I think the 55 tire is too much for the drop I have and the offset of these wheels. You cannot drive the car with this setup without additional modifications!

So with that said I have purchased the -3 camber shim from OTG. Thanks Van for the help and fast A$$ shipping. I ordered them 4pm yesterday EST and they have been at my house since 12pm today! (I paid for overnight shipping of course!) Same goes for the washers Van recommended.

I am going to put the shims on tomorrow night as right now I am rocking my 962's in the rear for now. I am hoping that the shims help correct the rubbing issue. We will see! If not looks like I will be cutting and rolling! lol

Last but not least do you have to rivet the bbist flares on? I would perfer not to but was not sure if 3m tape would be suffice. My flares will be painted by Saturday and I need to put them on that night. Any help would be great.

Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go ahead and plan on rollin your fenders.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

that is not the answer I was looking for! lol

If I can't get a fender roller... What is the best way to cut the lip out? Is it possible to do with a dremel?

Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump for a way to cut out the fender lip and ways to mount bbist flares other than rivets.

Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll give this another shot
1. Get new tires. Overall tire diameter is a big factor due to where the rear tires rub on a dropped xB, namely about the front 10 (or 2) o'clock position in the wheel well. The smaller the overall diameter, the more travel the wheel will have before rubbing. If you're serious about not rubbing, get 195/45/15's or 185/50/15's.
2. Don't get a DIY roller. Take your car to a reputable body shop with fender rolling/pulling experience. My shop did it for $75, which is chump change for the improvements made. The body shop will also be able to mount your fenders. Also, your Toyota dealer will be able to get the rubber gasket thingies that they use for Tacoma flares... these may help for mounting.
After rolling and camber if you still have some liner rub, then break out the Dremel.
3. Camber was the wise move. If you're not on air and run 002's, -3 is a pretty much a neccesity. A SL search for "002" will give more of an idea of what everyone else is running... could have saved yourself some headache with tire selection.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, if you want to try and mount the flares yourself- people often use expanding foam on the backside (hollow part) of the flares and shave it down to generally match the contour of the fender... then use that surface mount with 3m red double-sided trim tape.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Boxer_Rebellion
I'll give this another shot
1. Get new tires. Overall tire diameter is a big factor due to where the rear tires rub on a dropped xB, namely about the front 10 (or 2) o'clock position in the wheel well. The smaller the overall diameter, the more travel the wheel will have before rubbing. If you're serious about not rubbing, get 195/45/15's or 185/50/15's.
2. Don't get a DIY roller. Take your car to a reputable body shop with fender rolling/pulling experience. My shop did it for $75, which is chump change for the improvements made. The body shop will also be able to mount your fenders. Also, your Toyota dealer will be able to get the rubber gasket thingies that they use for Tacoma flares... these may help for mounting.
After rolling and camber if you still have some liner rub, then break out the Dremel.
3. Camber was the wise move. If you're not on air and run 002's, -3 is a pretty much a neccesity. A ScionLife search for "002" will give more of an idea of what everyone else is running... could have saved yourself some headache with tire selection.

Thanks for all your help!!! I am not really that worried about what needs to be done to get them to work as I have been doing cars for a long time and know that it takes some trial and error to get things you want just right.

As far as the rolling of the fenders go I do have a "worldl" known shop that will roll the fenders for me. They specialize in VIP and Drift Cars. They do all types of vehicles that you have seen if you follow drifting. They will charge me $86/hour and may take two hours to do.

I am working on the car tomorrow night and will see what the deal is after the camber and I am sure it will still rub. I can take the car to the shop on Friday to roll the fenders. I will see if I can get the flares foamed and put on but my club has a music video shoot on Sunday and am not sure if I will have time to get the flares foamed and shaped by then.

Thanks for the help. I plan on taking pictures tomorrow while doing the camber as well as my clazzio covers.

I will update all tomorrow.

BTW... can I get the 3M tape at any auto parts store?

Mike
Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I look forward to the update

Quick Reply: 002's, Flares, Spacers?