Notices

18x8 Wheels rubbing (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 18x8 Wheels rubbing (w/pics)

After i had my 18x8 wheels for almost 2 weeks. I just noticed yesterday i get a slight squeeking sound in my rear wheels when i turn. I have a 3mm spacer. I thought my wheel was rubbing on the shock, but found out my inner wheel is touching the lower arm of the suspension where it connects to the frame.
I believe that when i turn the spring is compressed causing the rubbing.

Looks like i am forced to get a larger size spacer with replacement bolts. I have not decided on 10mm or 15mm.

When the car is parked there is enough clearance. It never had a problem before, just started yesterday....weird..

Pic from the outside of wheel--------->

Pic from the inside of wheel<---------
Old 01-26-2004, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you take the wheels off or do you still have them on
Old 01-26-2004, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ikonXone
did you take the wheels off or do you still have them on
I still have them on. I just try to turn REALLY slow. Until i get my spacers. If i knew this was going to happen i would of gotten the spacers beforehand.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The first set of rims I had did the same thing, only they didn't rub until I hit a piece of freeway debris (a 4"x6"x15" piece of wood) at 70mph, then they rubbed... :lol: but until then I hadn't noticed how close that little stem was off of the rear cross member. I wonder if it would matter if you just took a grinder to it? What function does that hole have? I couldn't figure it out, but if it wasn't there I would have cracked my left rear rim upon impacting previosuly mentioned road debris. This also serves as a warning for anyone who buys rims with out getting lower than +35 offsets.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member

Over time of course things like this will happen. When your suspension has settled and normal wear and tear take their place... things will give and you will have to adapt. Just get that spacer on and you'll be fine. I'm sure you checked your clearance on the inside before you mounted those babies???
Old 01-27-2004, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

use a 5mm spacer and just take a grinder to the arm where it's rubbing, all the guys running axis speed 6 wheels 18x8 have done it, and then it should be all good
Old 01-27-2004, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UH OH!!! Do not let the wheel rub that welded part at all! Not because it'll damage the suspension part, but because whenver you hear a rubbing sound, that is the sound of the suspension EATING up your wheel! Check the inside lip of your rim to see if there are any crazy gouge marks already. You can grind the weld on the suspension down a little bit (sometimes you just need to take off a mm or two to get things to clear), but just don't grind it ALL the way down. It's the ends of the stabilizer bar that's welded to the inside of the beam suspension. I've always been telling people to avoid high offset wheels, not just because of looks, but because if you go too high, you'll actually run into this problem and won't be able to roll at all! Hmmmm.. I think I wrote this in the wheel FAQ sticky in the tread and butter section...but in case it's not there, basically, with a 17x7.5", stay away from any offset higher than +42mm. If it's a 17x7", stay away from +45mm or higher. With 18s, at 7.5", avoid anything higher than +45mm.

Of course, now we come to the age old problem of different companies measuring offsets differently, so those numbers I listed are just general guidelines, but to avoid ANY possibility of a problem occuring, just don't even run anything with an offset over 35 if possible!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionVan
UH OH!!! Do not let the wheel rub that welded part at all! Not because it'll damage the suspension part, but because whenver you hear a rubbing sound, that is the sound of the suspension EATING up your wheel! Check the inside lip of your rim to see if there are any crazy gouge marks already. You can grind the weld on the suspension down a little bit (sometimes you just need to take off a mm or two to get things to clear), but just don't grind it ALL the way down. It's the ends of the stabilizer bar that's welded to the inside of the beam suspension. I've always been telling people to avoid high offset wheels, not just because of looks, but because if you go too high, you'll actually run into this problem and won't be able to roll at all! Hmmmm.. I think I wrote this in the wheel FAQ sticky in the tread and butter section...but in case it's not there, basically, with a 17x7.5", stay away from any offset higher than +42mm. If it's a 17x7", stay away from +45mm or higher. With 18s, at 7.5", avoid anything higher than +45mm.

Of course, now we come to the age old problem of different companies measuring offsets differently, so those numbers I listed are just general guidelines, but to avoid ANY possibility of a problem occuring, just don't even run anything with an offset over 35 if possible!
So you're saying that a 18x8 inch wheel with 215-35-18 on the front and 225-40-18 on the rear with a 30-35 offset will be fine??? That's what I want to do.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Default Re: 18x8 Wheels rubbing (w/pics)

[quote="Inazuma"]After i had my 18x8 wheels for almost 2 weeks. I just noticed yesterday i get a slight squeeking sound in my rear wheels when i turn. I have a 3mm spacer. I thought my wheel was rubbing on the shock, but found out my inner wheel is touching the lower arm of the suspension where it connects to the frame.

Looks like i am forced to get a larger size spacer with replacement bolts. I have not decided on 10mm or 15mm.

When the car is parked there is enough clearance. It never had a problem before, just started yesterday....weird..

I have 18x8.5 on my xB and haven't had any problems as of yet. Also, I have a 35 seriers tire so I'm not sure if that makes a difference?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 18x8 Wheels rubbing (w/pics)

Originally Posted by Orataro
Originally Posted by Inazuma
After i had my 18x8 wheels for almost 2 weeks. I just noticed yesterday i get a slight squeeking sound in my rear wheels when i turn. I have a 3mm spacer. I thought my wheel was rubbing on the shock, but found out my inner wheel is touching the lower arm of the suspension where it connects to the frame.

I have 18x8.5 on my xB and haven't had any problems as of yet. Also, I have a 35 seriers tire so I'm not sure if that makes a difference?
What is your offset?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

So what's the best offset for front and rear on 18x8 wheel if you have options between +20, +30, +35, +38, +40 ... Would offset of +30 make the wheels flush all around or would stick out a little in front ??, thanks Sean
Old 01-29-2004, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO with a offset of 24 or 25 is flush to being an hair sticking out past the fender. But the rear has alot more room still. So I would say a safe offset is 30 and that is not even sunken in either.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

It's kinda off topic, but does any one have any pics of thundercloud Xb with chrome and one with silver wheel on it, also what's the best tire for 18x8" +30 offset wheel, 225-35-18 or 215-35-18, thanks Sean