Notices

5zigen s-08 16" + Tein S.tech springs (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5zigen s-08 16" + Tein S.tech springs (pics)

big thanks to van for the rims and great service (first set came in damaged and van & alex@5zigen were very swift at getting me replacements). obviously the proper offset - 25mm - makes a huge difference.
mounted 205/50/16ZR potenza re-730's which i got for a great price cause their discontinued.
the tein s.tech springs are the perfect drop for me (1.7f, 1.5r) and everything came together perfectly. looks perfectly clean and professional as if they should have been on my box from the beginning.

thank you and goodnight.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Lookin REAL good! I like that drop - might have to pick up those springs soon myself!
Old 02-14-2004, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

16x7?
Any rubbing, how long have you had the springs .... have they settled yet?
Looks great.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the compliments!
yes 16x7
no, no rubbing... in fact i had 5 people in my car tonight and although it got really loooowww, it didn't rub. having the back slightly in compared to the front seems somewhat of a blessing as there is just enough (and i mean mm's) room for the rear tires to "tuck" under the wheel well.
the springs have definately settled. i've had them on almost a week and have been running hundreds of miles around LA with my rims in boxes in the back seats. hehe... at least i hope it's settled. i wouldn't want any more drop personally.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, we finally get to see pics of the +25mm offset S08s *on* a Scion! It looks like your tire size and spring choice worked out really well too... the spacing around the wheel/tire here is pretty dang nice:
Old 02-16-2004, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionVan
Wow, we finally get to see pics of the +25mm offset S08s *on* a Scion! It looks like your tire size and spring choice worked out really well too... the spacing around the wheel/tire here is pretty dang nice
yeah, it's fantastic how everything came together -- i wanted the same space all the way around the wheel well (instead of the squat and tuck look of 2"+ drop) and the tein's gave me that perfectly. the offset also facilitates a much WIDER stance, which when combined with the lowering makes the xB look damn "mean" in comparison to a stocker.

of course the other plus of the 16" and the sticky tires is that they handle great... i'm flying around corners now at incredible speeds for a econbox...

thanks again van!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks great, I've been thinking of getting some Tein springs
Old 02-17-2004, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks really nice. I think you've convinced me to go with 16s now. I was debating on which way to go because the 17s with 205 40s I thought would be a little rough when I visited NYC. Plus I wanted to ride to be a little smoother. I know my brother-in- laws Accord with 17s would make you feel everything on NYC streets.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

looks great! me likes
Old 02-18-2004, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rayman
Looks really nice. I think you've convinced me to go with 16s now. I was debating on which way to go because the 17s with 205 40s I thought would be a little rough when I visited NYC. Plus I wanted to ride to be a little smoother. I know my brother-in- laws Accord with 17s would make you feel everything on NYC streets.
yeah i was thinking about 17" but the 16" are really better in every objective category... the only good reason (other then looks) to go with large rims is for larger brakes; which obviously our little light boxes don't need.

i think the key to getting 16" that look better is getting rims that make them look bigger then they are -- like the s-08's, they have the spokes go all the way to the ends instead of folding inside and having a huge lip (which makes rims look smaller).

thanks for all the great props guys!
Old 02-18-2004, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice combo...are those wheels silver or gunmetal? i cant tell from the pics
Old 02-18-2004, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yep, i got 16 montegi wheels with 205/50 tires also and i'm satisfied
Old 02-18-2004, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBted
nice combo...are those wheels silver or gunmetal? i cant tell from the pics
they are actually hyper black... but it is hard to tell from the pics. they're just a tad lighter then the thundercloud, but they get darker as it goes in so it matches pretty nicely.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cowboy
they are actually hyper black... but it is hard to tell from the pics. they're just a tad lighter then the thundercloud, but they get darker as it goes in so it matches pretty nicely.
looks sharp on your car man..
Old 02-18-2004, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a little confused with the offset. You say it's 25mm. I checked wheelspecs.com and they say it's a 43 offset. Maybe I'm not reading it right or maybe your talking about something else. Does rim come in different offsets? I'm not sure. Can someone explain?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm a little confused with the offset. You say it's 25mm. I checked wheelspecs.com and they say it's a 43 offset. Maybe I'm not reading it right or maybe your talking about something else. Does rim come in different offsets? I'm not sure. Can someone explain?
Usually rims come in all different kinds of offsets, depending on what car the rim is "designed" to be used on in order to fit correctly.

The 5zigen inperios come in many different offsets, just so happens that +25 is the "best looking" for the Scions.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the answer. Well that helps but also kind of stinks for me. I was looking on discount tire direct for 16s and almost all of the offsets range from 38-42. Oh well looks like I'll be doing more research and emailing some of these companies to see if they offer different offsets. After I decide which rim I really want.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

These rims were obtained from ScionLife member ScionVan who is able to get low-offset wheels for us. On the box, it has the number stamped in as this is not their usual +40 or +42 (there are check boxes on the packaging). I got the 17's in HyperBlack and will be putting them on soon.

Hey Cowboy, want to start our own S-08 thread?
Old 02-19-2004, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We haven't had time to list every offset and size for most rims. Workin' on it though. Sorry for the confusion. That's one of the reasons we list manufacturer sites, so you can double check our info. That particular rim isn't listed on the manufacturer sites though which is why I have it listed as discontinued????????????

Okay, edited wheelspecs to show a 16x7 4x100 +25. Now do you believe it exists?
Old 02-19-2004, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, yeah I believe it now. I'm just figuring out all this offset stuff and was just getting a little confused. I'm learning more and more. I see that 25mm would be the best offset for a 7" wide rim. What stinks is that I've gone to a lot of these manufacturers web sites and most have offsets in the 40mm range. I guess that size is a safe one for the companies so they can fit a majority of cars.

Quick Reply: 5zigen s-08 16" + Tein S.tech springs (pics)