Notices

Autocross improvements

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Autocross improvements

Does anyone know if 14s will fit a stock hub on the Xa? How about on a rear with a sway bar?

I'm pretty sure they will clear the rear drum itself, but I'm mostly concerned with the caliper on the fronts.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know for sur I'm assuming it would be fine on the diameter, but I had 14's on my GTi and switched up to 15's as there was a better selection of tires. You going for lower rotating mass?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, that's exactly it. I know a guy that is pretty hot locally in the WDC Region in my class, and I think I can get a set of 14x8s from him pretty cheap. Hoosier makes a good set of slicks for the 14 sized wheel.

Also thinking of putting an air dam on the front (read the October issue (?) of Project Car. I measured it out and it looks like I can get by with an 8 foot strip stock of aluminum plus supports. I just don't know if it's legal in FSP. The general rule is, if there's any doubt, it's illegal. Hell, I might just throw it on for a fun year.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Got_Root
Yeah, that's exactly it. I know a guy that is pretty hot locally in the WDC Region in my class, and I think I can get a set of 14x8s from him pretty cheap. Hoosier makes a good set of slicks for the 14 sized wheel.

Also thinking of putting an air dam on the front (read the October issue (?) of Project Car. I measured it out and it looks like I can get by with an 8 foot strip stock of aluminum plus supports. I just don't know if it's legal in FSP. The general rule is, if there's any doubt, it's illegal. Hell, I might just throw it on for a fun year.
I would just try to test fit, I know my rims are pretty flat and it causes rubbing on the calipers so I had to space them out.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a set of 14" Miata wheels with snows on mine last winter. The rear fits easily. The front was VERY close to the caliper but fit.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i understand the whole rolling mass thing on bigger rims, but i dont think 14's would be such a hot idea on an xA.

I race on 15's and im switching up to 16's next time around. Ive never heard of anybody dropping from the OEM size to something smaller for better handling. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

The whole 14x8 does make sense. If the rim your getting is 8" wide, which is freakin awesome, then go ahead and do it, but if its any less than that stick with 15's. The 15's i use for track duty are a set of Konig's i picked up used here on scionlife and with tires they still weigh less than the OEM's.

I also understand the VERY strict rules FSP, my brother runs his Honda Fit in this category and you gotta be very careful with the things you do.

Me, on the other hand, im scrwed i gotta run with the big boys, the good part is i can actually keep up!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat here at WDCR. Frikkin TRD clutch out me into FSP! I gotta make improvements wherever I can. I'm actually rockin one of the higher powered FSPs in my ergion, but the setup is WAAAAY off from what everyone else is doing.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't know if you're interested, but I have a chassis H-brace (this style) that I bought only to discover installing it will bump my Box out of STS. Since you're already out of STS I'll sell it to you for $50 shipped. The xA uses the same brace. PM me if you;re interested.