Notices

Big Wide wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Big Wide wheels

For all the people asking, Each Japanese company which manufactures wheels could build custom offsets. for example, I will be getting a set of Work's in a 17x8 on the front and 17x8.5 for the back. Pair that with 217/45's for a great super stretch look. then go for more show with the Garson -3 degree negative camber plates. Nothing will compare. I will probably get the camber plates on my next visit to Japan. And I will not use them all the time for tose concerned about killing tires.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

u probably need a 205 series tire for a "superstretched" look.
what offset u getting? and is it a O disc or A disc?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, I meant a 215/45 tire. TODA didn't tell me which disk. I just asked them to build it. They apparently e-mailed work in Japan to get the fitment right. WIll look so tight. Can't wait.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you really want to have a stretched look w/ your tires, i would go with something a little less for the size rims you are talking about. i have 16x9s on my car w/ 215/40s and its a mild stretch. im going with a 195/45/16s on my new 16x8s, just ordered them from Super Autobacs yesterday, but im not sure if they make them in 17s so id say go with 205/40s. whatever you choose please post pics, i would love to see the end result.

heres a pic of some 195/45/16 on 8" wide rims, with a pretty nice stretch. not too much, just right.

heres a pic of 9" wide rims w/ 215/40/16.

i also recommend going with either Toyo Proxes T1-S, Dunlop SP9000s, or Pirelli P-zero Nero's those are the 3 tires that give the best stretch and are really good tires, but a bit pricey.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of offset would you be looking at?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ideally anywhere from +20 to +30.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"stretch"..."super-stretch"...is that what they're calling it these days?! To me, seeing a setup like that tells me the tires are way too narrow for those rims, or the rims are way too wide for the tires...either way, something's not right...reminds me of the lowriders I used to see, with those tiny tires on the wide rims...that can't be a good thing...
Old 07-22-2004, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey JDMJim. Sounds like you are a VIP Tuner? Is there anyway to get some Fabulous rims from Japan? I know that if you buy them from the VIP Wagon, StyleWagon Magazines from Japan, they are cheaper than buying them from Super Autobacs or other rims shops? I am researching a way to order the rims from the magazines and have them shipped to here in the US. Any advice on this situation?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by velocitybb
Hey JDMJim. Sounds like you are a VIP Tuner? Is there anyway to get some Fabulous rims from Japan? I know that if you buy them from the VIP Wagon, StyleWagon Magazines from Japan, they are cheaper than buying them from Super Autobacs or other rims shops? I am researching a way to order the rims from the magazines and have them shipped to here in the US. Any advice on this situation?
Not to interrupt, but no matter what you will have to pay for ocean freight which is about 110-250 depending on tariffs and such. The more you buy and ship the cheaper the shipping cost is. So even if you buy it from magazine sources the shipping is going to get you unless you bring them back with you as luggage
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been having issues posting recently, but to answer the post about Fabulous wheels. e-mail the company to find a distributor. There has to be one in the U.S. I had my wife call Work Japan To get proper fitment on a set of wheels and found out I can get another wheel drilled for the Box. Then they sent me an e-mail with the specs AND I received another mail for a distributor for me to call them for pricing. I think I have changed my mind amd will switch for the Euroline S2H to the Euroline DH. The DH is just sick. $2k shipped.

JDMJim
Old 07-28-2004, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
...I think I have changed my mind amd will switch for the Euroline S2H to the Euroline DH. The DH is just sick. $2k shipped.

JDMJim
Am I reading this correctly, $2K just for rims? Guess I need to get a magazine or something and see what kind of wheels they've got in Japan...For that kind of money, I go across the other ocean and get something from Italy. Or better yet, something from Centerline that's lightweight, so at least they're somewhat functional.

Now if these are for a showcar, that's a totally different story. Talk about exclusivity!
Old 07-28-2004, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

215/45 are not going to give you a stretchie look I am running 17x8 with the same setup and it is not much of a stretchie. i will probably go 205 or even less as soon as I get some coilovers.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by westsype
215/45 are not going to give you a stretchie look I am running 17x8 with the same setup and it is not much of a stretchie. i will probably go 205 or even less as soon as I get some coilovers.
195/45 will do the trick. :D
Old 07-29-2004, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by socalxb
Originally Posted by JDMJim
...I think I have changed my mind amd will switch for the Euroline S2H to the Euroline DH. The DH is just sick. $2k shipped.

JDMJim
Am I reading this correctly, $2K just for rims? Guess I need to get a magazine or something and see what kind of wheels they've got in Japan...For that kind of money, I go across the other ocean and get something from Italy. Or better yet, something from Centerline that's lightweight, so at least they're somewhat functional.

Now if these are for a showcar, that's a totally different story. Talk about exclusivity!
To be honest-- $2k is not a big price to pay for high quality japanese wheels that will look great and perform well and last more than the lifetime of the car itself.

I don't know what type of Italian wheels you are thinking about, but I don't think i've seen any Italian wheels...maybe those on Ferraris and Lambos--but rest assured, those cost waaaaay more than $2k.

The Scion xB/Toyota bB is a japanese car, which is why some people like to put japanese branded wheels on them. It gives it a taste of authenticity if you go with a brand like Work/Volk Racing/BuddyClub/5Zigen etc. And there are those who want the California "tuner" look who go with something more readily available stateside. Centerline, while well known to the domestic crowd, isn't really popular with Japanese vehicles--but you would certainly be unique if you ran them. The thing is--most if not all high quality japanese wheels that demand the $2k+ price tags are just like centerlines-- LIGHTWEIGHT and FORGED. And they are offered in more colors than the standard Centerline CHROME. :D
Old 07-29-2004, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JDM -

Thanks for the info on the Japanese wheel market. There was a camo xB at a local dealer that had some 5Zigen wheels on it, painted to match the car. Personally, I don't care for the camo color, but the matching wheels were a nice touch. I can understand the whole "domestic market loyalty" mentality when it comes to cars like the xB. I'm sure there's quite the market for them back in Japan, like there is for street rods here in America. But, with my ancient computer (P350, AOL 5.0, etc!), it's too difficult to access a lot of foreign websites, so I can't get a look at all these Japanese-market wheels. Some important points were raised about trying to get non-domestic wheels brought into the States. They might be cheaper in their home market, but when you factor in shipping, Customs, use tax, etc., they might end up not being such a bargain. But again, with that exclusivity factor, it might be worth a try!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

JXDMxb, I am really interested in ordering the Fabulous Expand 18X8J rims. I am I am thinking bout getting them some time next year. Someone responded that it will cost couple hundred bucks? U mentioned 2k without tires. I can get Fabulous Expand with tires for 2K from the VIP Wagon and Style Wagon magazines in Japan. I am tryin to research how much will it cost to have it sent here? Or like someone suggested, a distributor?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Email Van Phan @ Van@onetongarage.com

He can get ahold of many Japanese market wheels-- he's a very down to earth guy, can't speak any more highly of him!
Old 07-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by JDMxB
Email Van Phan @ Van@onetongarage.com

He can get ahold of many Japanese market wheels-- he's a very down to earth guy, can't speak any more highly of him!
Yup, just one word................................................Van. 'nuff said.

If I were to get a body kit, I would definitely hit up Van for some JDM wheels. There's just something about the look w/ the body kit that says 18 inch JDM. Oh, and SLAM ME!

If I wasn't using my xB to commute in, I'd go that route, but the wheels would be junk within a week w/ the freewyas around here.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thanks errbody! I will hit him up.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 17x8's coming from Japan with 205/40/17 and the offset is nowhere near +20.

Quick Reply: Big Wide wheels