Big Wide wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by JDMxB
Anyway, that's my setup...they came from japan with 205/45/17s and the rear is certainly stretched, but the front is not as wild of course.
This is like pulling teeth.... Listen. I'm curious as to what your setup is because there seems to be some discrepency between how different manufacturers measure offset. This could potiently lead to serious fitment issues for people who want "big wide wheels." Therefore I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate a bit more on "they came from japan." PM me if this is, for some weird reason, a big secret.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TOY_bB
stretch does have its performance purpose as well too....it helps clear fenders and also helps the car turn like its on rails....since the tires are already stretched, when you take a turn the sidewall flatteens straight up and you get pretty much full contact patch to the floor....other than a wide tire where the side wall may flex to much and lose its grip...dont get me worng wide wheels are great just depends on your setup. i run stretch on my skyline and 240z and they corner very well...if my buddy can out turn 350zs and 300z turbos with over 400HP with 185-60 tires at mt. shasta with a datsun 510 then wider isnt always better. dont hate on stretch, you might need to do it someday
Riding on the sidewalls has no handling benefit. It is dangerous to put a 205 tire on a 10 inch wide wheel. There is a reason tire manufactures have rim width ranges.

The only reason people do the stretch is to get bigger lips so they are more "jdm tyte yo." They put wheels that don't fit and then make up the difference with tires that don't fit.

I am not, "hating on the stretch," I am getting the f<beep>k off the road if I see someone with tires designed for a 7 inch wide wheel hanging on by a thread on 10 inch wide wheels.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

some people do it for the JDM look,,,some people do it for purpose,,,i have many friends who run track racing and benefit from a stretch tire than a wide tire....you can say people do it for looks but for me i do it for purpose....u dont really ride on the sidewalls, the sidewalls are stretched and kept solid turning,...during high cornering the sidewalls dont flex much to get a full tire patch on the pavement....also stretch tire are for those who are drifting...there was a reason why my skyline ran stretch tire when it was in japan racing in the circuit..anyway sorry to bother i just think stretch tire is good for those who know why its used
Old 09-07-2004, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TOY_bB
some people do it for the JDM look,,,some people do it for purpose,,,i have many friends who run track racing and benefit from a stretch tire than a wide tire....you can say people do it for looks but for me i do it for purpose....u dont really ride on the sidewalls, the sidewalls are stretched and kept solid turning,...during high cornering the sidewalls dont flex much to get a full tire patch on the pavement....also stretch tire are for those who are drifting...there was a reason why my skyline ran stretch tire when it was in japan racing in the circuit..anyway sorry to bother i just think stretch tire is good for those who know why its used
Amen!!! I had came from Japan about 9 months ago. And I am deeply into VIP Tuning. And VIPpers (Thats what I call em) all have that, along with the people who are into drifting. The only bad thing about the stretched look is that you gotta be careful driving. Cuz, I had a 89 Toyota Crown (The car that started VIP tuning). I had 18 inch 9J front and 10J rear with 225/40/18 tires in the front and 235/40/18 in the rear. The 10J offset was like a -0 or -2. Can't quite remember the exact offset, but I know that it was a deep offset. I had just bought the rims and had them installed, try to park in the Japanese parking garage. My car was raised up and the rims were sticking out and I dinged the rear right rim. Ouch! U said it; people do it for looks and your right on that.