Notices

End all, be all thread on rubbing wheels and rolling fenders

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default End all, be all thread on rubbing wheels and rolling fenders

I just tried on finding thread on what rubs and what size wheels need rolling the fenders, so I decided on making this thread. I want this to be the home where owners can check on other owners opinions on what wheel size rubs, best offset, and whether or not fenders NEED, (meaning 100% needs rolling or 100% doesn't need it, one or the other, NO going back and forth). So let the opinions start..........

And spacers, I think, imo, are just for style.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got a new 2006 XB. Installed 18x7.5 Driv Royale wheels with 42MM backspacing adn 215/40/18 tires. I am at stock height still. The front tires clear everthing OK except at full lock turn to the left the inner rear of the tire rubs the tow hook (2-3 good blows with a 5 pound hand sledge moved the tow tab a little and no more rub) funny it just clears the right side one in a full right turn.

In the rear the clearance to the crossmember at the inner forward edge of the tire is insanely close (tho most aftermarket wheel manufacturers reccommend this wheel size as a good fit) (and yes a 215/35/18 tire might gain just a smiggen of clearance here), but I have about 3 business card thickness clearance from the crossmember to the sidewall on the right rear and less than 1/8 inch at the same spot on left side (the edge of the wheels at this point clears the crossmember by less than 1/4 inch as well). Way too close for me...hope those 5MM spacers come soon I planm to drop this box 2 inches. I expect I may have to roll the rear wheel opening a little. I am about positive that I will have to reshape the rear of the front wheel houses slightly to clear the 215/40's...maybe 1/4 inch of flattening over a 5-6 inch area behind the front wheels in the wheel house (hmmmm wheres that big hammer).

The answer to wheel and tire combos I think is that there is no precise answer once you go beyond factory reccommendations. Close measuring and inspection on installation is key. Duplicating something succesful that someone else has done is a good bet
Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good comment. I would like replies like this one because there is no guess work or "what about this, that, etc."

Keep the comments coming, guys. I KNOW u got rims......don't be afraid.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I'm running 18x7.5 Enkei RZ-5's with 215/35/18 tires...I haven't any rubbing issues at all (not even at full lock in the front)...I've a good 1/2 in or so clearance in the back...I plan dropping mine down another inch from the TRD's I have now to DF210's and adding OTG rear spacer shims just for looks...if anyone has any questions about my fitment or would like to me crawl under my box to check something out for you let me know...I don't mind snapping a couple pics if you have something specific your would like to see
Old 11-16-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by balddave
I'm running 18x7.5 Enkei RZ-5's with 215/35/18 tires...I haven't any rubbing issues at all (not even at full lock in the front)...I've a good 1/2 in or so clearance in the back...I plan dropping mine down another inch from the TRD's I have now to DF210's and adding OTG rear spacer shims just for looks...if anyone has any questions about my fitment or would like to me crawl under my box to check something out for you let me know...I don't mind snapping a couple pics if you have something specific your would like to see
That would be great. This is not only helping me, but other xB owners, or others in general. its your choice. U don't have to, alright.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a suggestion....if you look in the tC wheel and tire thread...there is a sticky about what fits and what doesnt..someone should look into copying that idea and style
Old 11-17-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, I'll just change this thread and mimic the tC one. Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by honey0bucket
just a suggestion....if you look in the tC wheel and tire thread...there is a sticky about what fits and what doesnt..someone should look into copying that idea and style
In the wheel & tire of the xB forum there is a buyer's guide that lists pretty much all the sizes you would want to put on a xB:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=348
Old 11-17-2006, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here's a few pictures of rolling an XB's rear fenders.

there is a small area that the fender rolling tool didn't work so I had to do it by hand.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love orange xB's They look sweet.

The purpose of this thread is show what fits and if not, what needs to be done. I was aware of that thread, but it just asks questions with little answer. I want this thread to be to the point. Like some of the recent post, they state their offset and wheel size. its to the point. Something that the other thread doesn't do.

Plus, I want the personal opinions. That thread is just based on just one person or whatever. It lists all the size, but I don't see opinions. I think I'm not making sense. Whatever.

Keep the pics coming guys.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The fenders were rolled to fit these Axis wide tracks wheels:

front
wheels: 18"x8" with 90mm lip ( 35 mm offset)
tires: Toyo Proxes4 215/35/ ZR18

rear
wheels: 18"x9" with 120 mm lips (20 mm offset)
tires: Toyo Proxes4 225/40/ ZR18

Rolling the rear fenders for these wheels and tire combo was a must!