Notices

Good tires for winter ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member

Default Good tires for winter ?

Somebody Please help me I hate the way my xb handles in the snow,and the rain now that I think about it. I want to get some better tires anyone know of any? I would love to put rims on my car this summer so I am just looking for something to keep on the stock rims more or less for winter. Anyone else having trouble with there ride in the snow? My traction control light flashes like there is no tomorrow.but since my tires are just slidding it does not seem too do much.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the stock tires on the 15" alloys and I think these skinny tires kick-butt in all the recent Chicago area snows we have had. I see no reason to change them out at all. Not sure why you are having a difficult time with them. If you were on bigger wheels and wider tires I could see where that may be an issue and you might want to run snow tires. Be careful when you switch wheel and tire setup next summer, because what may look good and run well on dry pavement may be murder when the snow flies!!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well .. they got 3 things for the winter:

1. Studded snow tire: best traction for snow and ice period. But it is annoying as hell and you shouldnt drive more than 75 mph. Very noisy.

2. Non Studded Snow tire: good for snow, Ice is not as good as no.1. Pretty much nothing is good on ice unless you got a tank lol. These tires are not rated for high speed. So when the road is dry, I dont recommend going more than 75 or it will be very noisy and uncomfortable.

3. Performance winter tire: more expensive than 1 and 2, not as good as no.2 on snow but you can drive fast when its dry just like your all season tires. The wider, the bigger and the lower the profile, the more expensive it is. Usually if you have 17" wheels you have to go this route.

Since you have an Xb I would recommend the 2nd one. Go to tirerack.com , they explain it very very well. What makes these tires good in the snow? The surface grab more snow than regular tires. So when your tires will be covered with snow more than regular tires. Snow on snow has better traction than rubber on snow. Get it?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

^^^totally agree.

what wheels/tires are you running, katiebear?

I got some 18s in my deal jacket, but I saked the stealership to load my 15" steelies in the back on delivery. My intent was to swap them as my winter tires, and so far, the plan is working out well.

I know we get a much different type of snow here in colorado than IL does, but i've driven quite a few different setups in the white stuff, and have to say i'm pretty pleased.

The downside: i have to look at those ugly ax wheels for two more months.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

cherry.. are you going to the toy drive on sunday? go to the rockies section pls
Old 12-15-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

please refer to this:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95882

moved to W & L & Locked....