Notices

Here is what I'm going to put on the box, any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Here is what I'm going to put on the box, any comments?

Through discount tire direct.

Voxx MG3 15 x 7 38mm offset

195/60-15
Yokohama Avid TRZ or Falken Ziex 912, still haven't decided

I had a bad experience with edge racing getting second hand rims and had a vibration and they wouldn't do anything about it. Just wanted to see if anyone heard anything about these?

I figure that these will fill the wheel wells a little more. But I would like to push the wheels out the the edge of the wheel well as much as I can. And it seems that the rear wheels always sit inward more than the front on front wheel drive cars, why is this?

I was thinking about putting spacers on , may be just in the rear. I did see that they make rear camber spacers, I'm not looking for the camber, but I think this is a better way to space the rear, it doesn't put the extra stress on the bearing.

1. How much would I have to space the wheels out to bring them flush without rubbing?

2. Will this put more stress on the wheel bearings?

3. If I do wheel spacers is there a thickness that I can still use the factory wheel studs? At what thickness do I need longer studs? Where can I get these?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Half inch rear hub spacers (NOT the kind that go between the wheel and hub) will even the rears with the fronts. They also DO NOT affect the bearing load and do not require longer studs.
I'd go with the Falken 912s. I love mine and they ride quiet and smooth.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply, so you like the Falken 912's, good to know, that is the way I'm leaning right now.

For spacers you are talking about a "hub" spacer and not a "wheel" spacer. What brand do you have, were did you get them, how much, steel or aluminum?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

bbszero sells them I believe. His are metric sized tho. You'll want 15mm then cause they are slightly wider than 1/2"
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168127
Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Not really digging on those, but everything Jeff said is right.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're not diggin the rims? Well I know when it comes to style to each there own. The xB is actually my 68 year old mother-in-laws, my car and my wife also have aftermarket wheels on them. Every car has its own them.

I think it is cool that she is down with putting something different than stock on her car. I'm suggesting the idea but she is the one making the final decision. I wanted something that would look fairly stock, but have a little flair. Affordable, a little racy, and easy to clean. I also like a simple design. And she likes them. It is also a daily driver, not a trailered show car. I don't want every hoodlum noticing a big shinny rim they would like to get the easy way (steal). These are more suttle hopefully attracting th attention of a car person that can appreciate them. They will also be used year round in the summer and winter snow. I already swap wheels and store them on two other cars, trying to keep things simple. I also wanted to find a 15 x 7 to push the wheels out a little more without to much or any spacing.

Considering this is all my criteria, I think they do a good job to fit the bill, but like I said to each their own, but now you know where I'm coming from.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Just realized those Voxx are close to my old chrome ones.
Name:  ShootatHubbs005.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  63.0 KB
Name:  ShootatHubbs001.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  65.4 KB
Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those Voxx wheels look very much like the wheels that came with my 2005 Subaru:

Not my former car, but the same wheels.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...inivan&tmn=MG3

^ You can avoid the spacers all together if you get the +20 offset version of the wheel.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...Minivan&tmn=MG

^ There is also a +20 offset version of the older MG.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bB2ner, in the pic of you xB what size are the rims and tires? What is your offset?

The Voxx MG3 do look very similar to the subby rims. But I like the polished lip on the Voxx compared to the subby, it adds a little more flare, it says these look like they might be stock rims, but are they?

SR20DE_MAN, I didn't realize that they made a +20 offset, Thanks. You are right that would work and solve the problem of spacers. But here is the one problem with that. If I go all 4 wheels offset +20 or +38 they are relatively the same. What I mean is if all four wheels have the same offset the rear are still going to sit in more than the front (about a half inch I'm told.) I wanted to bring the rear wheels out more to match the front. It seems most cars are this way, but it really looks pronounce on the xB.

I could order two +20 for the rear and two +38 for the front. This would work great and I would not need the rear hub spacers, but now I can not rotate the tires, which I do want to be able to do.

So I think I'm still back to the rear spacers. But now you got me thinking...will a +20 look better than a +38 in the front and will it still fit without rubbing the wheel well, with 15x7 rims, and 195/60-15 tires? Will this also work in the rear? Could I go as far as +20 offset in the rear and have a 15mm hub spacer? Now if this will fit, which do you guys think will look better, +38 front/+38 and 15mm spacer rear, or +20 front/+20 and 15mm spacer rear?

This is good I'm glad you guys are involved, thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did a crude mock up with the MG3's

Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

They are 15X7 with like 40mm offset. Tires were the stock GY 185/60/15s
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation

Yeah. The +20 offset will fit fine. It will look pretty flush. The rears do go in more, but if you add a spacer, you increase the understeer. As it is, the xB has too much understeer, but then I have a Miata & a heavily chassis braced & coilover equipped Infiniti G20 (P10) in the stable, so that could be the reason that I think the xB understeers too much. Hahaha! But yeah. If you don't plan on taking the box to your local canyons or try to swing around offramps quickly, you should be fine with a 10mm spacer in the rear if you want to even it out with the front. That is pushing it, though. You're going to be running a slightly taller than stock tire so there could be a slight chance of rubbing in the rear with the wheels having a 10mm spacer. The wheels effectively become +10. This setup would be good if you ran OEM sized 185/60-15 tires, but if you're trying to keep the speedometer accurate, the 195/60-15 is a better choice, since it seems like the tires were undersized for the American market.

If you're dead set on getting a 15mm spacer, maybe the +38 is a better choice to avoid rubbing issues. They do look sunken in, though. I had some 15x7 +38 wheels before with 205/55-15 tires & I still thought that the wheels needed at least 10mm less offset in the front & about 20 mm less offset in the rear so that they would have been semi-flush to the fenders. I guess it's all on what you are trying to achieve.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is what I think the final decision will be. I will pull off the stock tire and try to take some measurements of how things will look and work with the 195/60-15, 15x7 +20, tires/rims. This would also include the tokio yellows. I doubt it will ever get lower, since it is my M-I-L's. If it ever was lowered, I would do the H-techs.

If the front looks like it will work without a problem of rubbing, which is what I'm most concerned with, then I know the back will fit w/o a problem. Before I would add a spacer to the rear I would wait to get the wheels on and then measure to see what I could add to push them out w/o rubbing.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation

No need to measure out. Check out this drawing that I did on AutoCAD. It's in a PDF format.

http://download666.mediafire.com/yva...mj/15X7+20.pdf

^ If that doesn't work, try this link below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ekvzqnzmmmj

You're pushing the sidewall out almost 1" & you're pushing the wheel out almost 1 1/4" with the 15x7 +20 & 195/60-15 tires.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

SR20DE_MAN, that is really cool, I actually had a drawing I hand drew with just the top of the rim and the bottom of the tire, but both the new and old wheels are over lapping. I came up with just under and inch for the side wall, but my drawing wasn't showing the tire the way your was.

Either way I temporarily spaced the front and rear wheels out to see what they would like. I'm sure the +20 OS would just fit in the front and back, but not in the back with a 10mm hub spacer.

I also noticed, this is starting to make the xB look kind of like a hick mobile with the wrong offset wheel on practically sticking out of the wheel well. It is just a little over looking cool. Plus with the wheel further out it will sling more stuff on the side of the vehicle, and have more wind resistance lowing gas mileage. I know that doesn't matter to everyone, but the point I'm at in life, form follows function.

I think the final call is going to be 15x7 +38 with the 195/60-15. I will put these on and then figure out if I want to space the rear with hub spacers and how much. It looked like with the +38 the front could get spaced out 5-10mm to look just right, but I will see.

I still would like to find some pictures of what the 195/60-15 will look like compared to the stock 185/60-15. I do like the aspect ratio look of the sidewall on the stock tire. I don't want the 195's to start looking to much like a balloon. I like the tires straight (square) with the rim or just a little stretched.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

^ The 195/60-15 tires are going to look more balloon like. Those need to be on a 7.5" to 8" wheel to get them to look less balloon like. That or you can run wider 205/55-15 tires. Same diameter as 185/60-15, but more wider.

These are not a Scions, but this is what 195/60-14 looks like on a 14x7 wheel. It's going to look the same on the Scion, but being 1" larger.

This is what 185/60-14 looks like on a 14x7 wheel.

Name:  100_1538.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  PC140085.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  108.6 KB

The 185 tires on 7 look a lot better.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not looking for the balloon look, but I would like the improved (softer) ride of the 195/60 over the stock 185/60. Anyone have a comment on how much softer the ride is with the 195/60s?

How would the 205/55-15s handle in the snow? I'm guessing if they are too much wider than stock it will make the xB slide around more.

Maybe the 185/60s are the way to go, not too wide for snow traction, not any worse riding than stock (which I plan to put tokico yellows on anyway), and a little bit of a stretch look, no ballooning.

Let me know what you think.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

From what I know going with Tokico yellows is gonna be just like stock cause the stock struts and shocks are Tokico. If you want a softer ride you are gonna have to go Koni or Monroe.
Plus with the 195/60s the speedo is gonna be right on plus a better ride. Food for thought.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
From what I know going with Tokico yellows is gonna be just like stock cause the stock struts and shocks are Tokico. If you want a softer ride you are gonna have to go Koni or Monroe.
Plus with the 195/60s the speedo is gonna be right on plus a better ride. Food for thought.
watching.

So do 195/60s fit pretty well?
I want a wider tire than 195/60 but with the same diameter.

Quick Reply: Here is what I'm going to put on the box, any comments?