Notices

Hub centric rings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this whole hubcentric thing is new to me. I have some HP Racing Hurricanes that use the stock style of lug nut(countersunk hole-self centering) Are hubcentric rings sill needed on this type of wheel?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by scionaraxb
this whole hubcentric thing is new to me. I have some HP Racing Hurricanes that use the stock style of lug nut(countersunk hole-self centering) Are hubcentric rings sill needed on this type of wheel?
if you are putting your wheel on and you can move it all around after you stick it on the lugs without tightening them down, then it is not centered, and that's what the rings do. they just keep everything aligned so the wheel isn't lopsided when it turns. i'm sure you could whittle your own hubcentric rings if you were good with a piece of wood and a pocket knife.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default rings

I would get rings. Although the self centering lugs will do a reasonable job of centering the wheel, the studs were not designed to carry all this weight. I would measure the centerbore of your wheel, and then see what is available. Center rings are very inexpensive so the safer you are, the better.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok, here is my story for today concerning these bad boys.

I went down to my local Discount Tires, who deal with all sort of companies like Volk, Tanabe, H&R, Work, etc...all that good stuff.

I explained the situation to him and he took off one of my wheels to make some measurements. The thing is, in order for my stupid wheels to fit right, I had to run a spacer in the front...so this actually prevented me from being able to just buy a set of hubcentric rims for my wheels to fit the car. He also commented on how unsafe it is to drive with spacers, because of the reduced stud thread with the wheel pushed out like it is. This is my fault--as I just wanted to get the wheels on for the time being.

So, he says that he can have custom made wheel spacers--WITH hubcentric rings built in to them. He used a caliper tool and measured a few things...and I think he came out to be 65 or so for the wheels. Also, with the custom made spacer...he said that it could be done in any offset, and he recommended 30--which of course I agreed with and it would look much better than it does as it sits now.

It'll take a week before they come in, but from my understanding, it will give me 4 new lug bolts, on top of a spacer that will make the wheel a 30 offset, while not compromising any lug thread because of the all new bolts. This will also include a matched hubcentric ring, so that it will fit nicely on the car.

Kendo....does this sound ok to you? The guy at the shop said that this would be the safest way to run the wheels, without having to get new ones.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default spacers

Hey JDMxB, it sounds proper. The guy at the shop is correct in that if you run generic spacers you lose thread turns on the lugs which can get dangerous. The custom ones he is having built for your car should end up working perfectly, plus with the ET30 your wheels will look bigger and better.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just got home from getting the rear spacers for my car. They are ones with new lug studs--not the cheap 'billet' ones.

Can one of you fellas enlighten me on how exactly do these "higher" quality spacers with the new lug studs and everything work?

I'm under the impression that they have to possibly grind or something the original lug studs...?

Ideally, i'd like to know how exactly the spacer goes on, and where everything works out and how. thanks!
Old 11-02-2003, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I still have the generics on the front wheels--because he hasn't recieved the new spacers yet--and I think I have started to run into a little problemo.

The inside of the spacer seems to be getting slightly grinded down by possibly the brake caliper? There is a small area on the inside of the spacer closest to the car that is shiny shiny aluminum--like if someone had it grinded down...it is also like a 'step' down from the rest of the spacer.

Kendo--you still around here?
Old 11-03-2003, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HMM

If this piece was rubbing against the caliper, the you should see an area on the caliper itself that is grinded away as well. Is this the case? How big is the diameter of the generic spacer compared to the backpad of the wheel? How thick of a generic spacer are you using? How many turns are you getting on the lugs on the front axle?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think what the problem is is that the spacer is a little larger than the diamter of the backpad of the wheel--causing some sort of rubbing on the inside. I did notice that the rear "good" spacer is significantly smaller than the front generic one. I will get pics up asap...maybe that will help.

Also, i get about 2 and a half to 3 turns if i remember correctly.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're experiencing any grinding of any sort, remove the part causing the problem RIGHT AWAY!! You could potentially be causing more permanent damage that will be extra costly to repair later. Also, with lug nuts, you want thread engagement that is at least equivalent to the diameter of the stud. So with the 12mm studs, you want your lug nuts to be threading on to a section that is about 12mm deep.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member

It's nice to have the wheels back on the hubs, but I don't think my rings did anything.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

JDM XB what is you wheel/tire fitment recipe, ie offset, tire size and rim size.
I dont want the same problem you are running into on yours when im shopping around.
Are you running too high of an offset?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default offsets

Just go with as low an offset as possible and you'll be fine. ET35-40 with a rim width of 7-7½ inches will give you no problems.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes, Kendo is right, and he's the one who solved all the problems with all the great info.!

Just stay under +40 offset if you are running 7.5 inch wheels.