Notices

I need help choosing my next tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default I need help choosing my next tires

I would like a pretty reasonably priced fairly aggressive tire that isnt going to be crap. I have the 15in 10 spoke wheels that came with my 06 xA. I bought some BF Goodwrench Traction TA size 195/55R15 less than 5000 miles they became what they called feathered and made my car have a vibration. The Tire dealer said they would not be covered in the warranty and so I have driven the last 18K miles on them with a vibration and now they are almost bald. I took the car to toyota to make sure there were no alignment problems or balance problems and they said it all checked out just that the tires suck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yokohama avid TRZ is a nice tire, reasonably priced and performs well.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have always had good luck with michelin's (except the HMXs-those sucked) but they are pricey.

Kuhmo, Hankook are great for the price.

I have had really good Falkens and some just ok-but they are priced well usually.

Look for used tires at you local dealer (one that you trust) you can get great tires with 1/2 their life left or better for like 25% of the regular price. I got a pair of Toyo Proxes 4 (great tire) for $90 mounted and balanced and Toyo RA1 for $120-these are for 17s too.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member

anybody ever try Kumho Ecsta ASX with any luck
Old 12-11-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not that specific model-like the brand though.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've had 2 sets of nitto neo gens and loved them. they are decent tires for good price. they are better than stock in snow/rain . also stick pretty good in summer. they are good tires for a daily driver. but it you are looking for best performance, then you'll need two sets of winter and snow tires
Old 12-11-2008, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

considering where you live, try and get a tire thats good/great in the rain, probably even a all-season tire would suffice.
Check discouttiredirect.com , and see what they have in stock on a :
195/55 15" tire
195/60 15" tire

Read the reviews. You should be able to get something good for $60-70 per tire.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

KUMHO ASX
Old 12-15-2008, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I need help choosing my next tires

Originally Posted by bryandrry
I would like a pretty reasonably priced fairly aggressive tire that isnt going to be crap.... I bought some BF Goodwrench Traction TA size 195/55R15 less than 5000 miles they became what they called feathered and made my car have a vibration. The Tire dealer said they would not be covered in the warranty and so I have driven the last 18K miles on them with a vibration and now they are almost bald. I took the car to toyota to make sure there were no alignment problems or balance problems and they said it all checked out just that the tires suck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know what "feathering" means, or how a vibration cannot be cured by proper balance and alignment. Perhaps the tire dealer felt that the "feathering" was something you did to the tires, perhaps by hard cornering while underinflated, etc.

Based on several very favorable reports on the BF Goodrich Traction T/A, I had them installed last week to replace the original Goodyear Eagle LS which were at 5/32 and 25K miles. The BFG Tractions ride and handle and sound no different from the GY Eagles, which is good. The BFG Tractions are smooth and quiet at 80 mph. Their wet traction is better, and their snow traction should be much better.

I am very pleased with my BFG Tractions and would highly recommend them for the price of $65. My next choice would have been the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, but they are $100.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member

vintage42 I do hope you have better luck than I did. I loved the tires when I first bought them and hadnt heard of feathering before I had a problem. I am not sure how or why it happened Like I said it began within the first 5k miles on the tires. They told me feathering is where the tread wears down on one side and not the other normal wear would have each individual tread smooth and flat like ---- and the feathered tread wears at a diagnal //// . I am not sure why but they told me it would not be covered. Not sure if I just got a bad lot of tires or what. Like I said I do wish you the best I have also seen lots of good reviews for Traction TA thats why I bought them.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... hadnt heard of feathering.. I am not sure how or why it happened... They told me feathering is where the tread wears down on one side and not the other normal wear would have each individual tread smooth and flat like ---- and the feathered tread wears at a diagnal //// . I am not sure why but they told me it would not be covered. Not sure if I just got a bad lot of tires or what....
Feathering would be a wear pattern, like cupping. Wear patterns are caused by improper alignment. That is why it was not covered by warranty.

Likely you knocked your front suspension out of alignment before or soon after getting the BF Goodrich Tractions installed, and by 5,000 miles this feathered the tread blocks enough to cause a noticeable vibration. By your present 18,000 miles, the mis-alignment has worn the tires almost bald.

When you have your next tires installed, be sure to get an alignment or they could soon have a wear pattern, too.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my pirellis. They r great . A little pricey tho
Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought these in 195/60-15
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nza+G+019+Grid
Nice looking, quiet, filled the wheels wells better, and my speedo is more accurate.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... hadnt heard of feathering.. I am not sure how or why it happened... They told me feathering is where the tread wears down on one side and not the other normal wear would have each individual tread smooth and flat like ---- and the feathered tread wears at a diagnal //// . I am not sure why but they told me it would not be covered. Not sure if I just got a bad lot of tires or what....
Feathering would be a wear pattern, like cupping. Wear patterns are caused by improper alignment. That is why it was not covered by warranty.

Likely you knocked your front suspension out of alignment before or soon after getting the BF Goodrich Tractions installed, and by 5,000 miles this feathered the tread blocks enough to cause a noticeable vibration. By your present 18,000 miles, the mis-alignment has worn the tires almost bald.

When you have your next tires installed, be sure to get an alignment or they could soon have a wear pattern, too.
Thanks I do plan on that and you are right my tires are almost bald. I just didnt think it was the alignment, because when I started feeling the vibration I took the car to toyota and they told me the alignment wasnt bad. I just think they must have not known what they were doing. I have had more trouble out of dealer shops than out of any. Oh Well its time for new tires and there will be an alignment done as well.
But Thanks again to all for the help.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a good reasonably priced tire I would go with the cooper zeon, you can get the zeon zpt of zxs. i have the zpt on mine and they are 205/50/15. Some people don't like coopers but they are very well priced and have road hazard which means if anything happens to them before 30,000 miles they will replace them for free. this means nails or anything else in the tires. They handle great and they are normally around the same price as hankooks or a little cheaper.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anybody ever try Kumho Ecsta ASX with any luck
I put a set on my xB (in 195/60-15), because I liked the set I had on my last car so much. A coworker got a set for his wife's Integra, too, and around here, there are others who run on them. They're nice tires, especially for how cheap they are. Good in dry and wet, and tolerable in snow (which is the best you can hope for in non-snow-tires, really).
Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member

Thank you all. I had a blowout on the highway, so I had to go ahead and buy some new tires. I was going to try to wait until Feb when I get my bonus check from work and by a really nice set, but I had to do it now and by some cheaper. I ended up with a set of toyo spectrum. Not a bad tire, but not a high performance. I like them and have had good experience with them in the past. I bought a set for a 95 ford probe in 2003 and now my parents drive the car and the spectrums still have good tread. But like I said thanks again for all the input
Old 12-21-2008, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

michelin's!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I'd get Kumho Ecsta ASX (ASX for All-Season Xtreme) they cost 51 each at tire rack, plus shipping.