Notices

Kumho ASX vs Nitto NeoGen

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Kumho ASX vs Nitto NeoGen

Well guys, my wheels arrived today (who hoo!!!) and it's coming down to the wire on tire choice. I'm so excited and can't wait to get these installed!!!

I've decided on the size, but I'm back and forth between the Kumho ASX or the Nitto NeoGen. I'm pretty dead set on one of these 2 tires, just not sure which one.

I've been able to find some good info on the Kumho's, but there's not much out there on the NeoGen's...

How do the NeoGen's perform in the rain? Snow? What do they weigh?

Does anyone have pics of either of these tires in a 215/40/17?

Any help would be much appreciated...
Old 10-30-2004, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You might wanna chek out the too websites for more info, if you haven't already?

I'm waiting for my wheels...but have already purchased the tires. I personally went with the Nitto Neo-Gens'. 215/35-19s.

I've been a really big fan of Nitto for quite some time, I've only run on one other brand and that was Yokohamas. The tread wear on the Nitto tires is much better then most of its competitors, giving you a much more even wear on the tread. I was going to try Toyos...but have been advice not to. Something about Toyos giving you a much harsher ride down the road, due to its uneven wear; almost causing a choppy feel or ride. Just me thoughts.

But here is some info that I came across if you haven't already made up ur mind
http://www.kumhotireusa.com/Products...tion=PtnDetail
and
http://www.nittotire.com/tires_neogen.asp
Old 10-30-2004, 07:25 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Nitto NeoGens worked fine in the downpour we had in CA last week. They are M&S also. I like them alot, and will prolly stay with them when ever this set wears out.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I appreciate the info guys...

Squirrel, do you know how much the NeoGen's weigh in your size? That info is not publish on Nitto's web site, and none of their dealers have been able to tell me either.

One guy said the shipping weight on the 215/40/17 is 18lbs, and I find that very hard to believe since the Kuhmo's are 21lbs. The Toyo Proxes4 (thought about them too for a while) are 20lbs...I can't imagine the Nitto's are 2-3 lbs lighter ya know?

Not that it really matters too much, I was just curious. I do like the tread pattern of the Nitto's, and the Kumho's, well, I think they would look good in a 40 series, but I'd like to see them first...I think the Kumho tread pattern makes them look wide, which I sorta like.

Descisions, descisions...
Old 10-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Paulie, I'm not sure of the weight of the 215/40-17 Neo Gens. I haven't seen the Kuhmos you asked about either. Makes me wonder now, I think I'll have to check them out.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

squirrel those were ASX's on my Konigs last night. Yeah the light was bad so you could not see them well. 215/40/17.

I like them. Only had them for 2 days now so I can't give you a detailed review.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Dewmerz
squirrel those were ASX's on my Konigs last night. Yeah the light was bad so you could not see them well. 215/40/17.

I like them. Only had them for 2 days now so I can't give you a detailed review.
Oh, oooooooh. Those fit nice on the Konigs and had a really nice sidewall to protect the rim. I'll have to check the tread today at Racetune.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That was the exact size I'm looking for...

Dewmerz, do you happen to have any pics of them? Also, how wide is your wheel?

See, on a 7.5" wide wheel, some 215's looked stretched, and some sidewall protectors are so pronounced they add to the effect even more. I'm looking for more of a boxy shouldered tire, to give it a more meaty appearance, if that makes any sense.

I do like the NeoGen though, and they seem to have the look I want. I'll try and dig up more pics of your car Squirrel and check it out...
Old 10-30-2004, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

go with yokohama avs es100 215/40/17's. those r awesome tires , look good , pretty decent tire wear , great traction , do great in rain
. just my .02
Old 10-30-2004, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Excuse the dirt and the fact that I have not had time to clean the new tires. The wheels are 17x7 40 offset.

***pics removed***
Old 10-30-2004, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Excuse the dirt and the fact that I have not had time to clean the new tires. The wheels are 17x7 40 offset.
Oh My! I really like them!!! It also helps that I have a Camo xB with bronze wheels as well, he he he.

Dewmerz, is your xB lowered? If so, what suspension are you running?

It looks real nice!
Old 10-30-2004, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks. I am on Tein H-Techs. They are about a month old so they should be settled in by now.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks. I am on Tein H-Techs. They are about a month old so they should be settled in by now.
Really, Hi-Techs is all? It looks lower than I thought it would from what I've read about those springs...

I'm really diggin' the stance of your xB. Hopfully, all the research I'm doing will pay off in the end and my xB will have an agressive stance such as yours.

I really do like the tires...I just hope they don't look stretched on a 7.5" rim. I keep going back and forth...Nitto, Kumho, Nitto, Kumho, he he he. I swear, I should just toss a coin.

I know you said you haven't cleaned the tires yet and they are still new, but if you ever shine them up with tire dressing could you post another pic? I'd love to see what they look like when they're shining...

Thanks again for all of your help...I appreciate you putting up with my silly inquiries...
Old 10-31-2004, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll try to get you clean pictures in a few days.

Squirrels Nittos look really good in person. His specs listed in the featured ride are right on with what you are looking for. 17x7.5 with 215/40/17. https://www.scionlife.com/features/2004008/
Old 10-31-2004, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thank you...