Notices

Paint stripping wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Paint stripping wheels

I decided to paint strip my slipstreams with Klean-Strip instead of sanding them down. I've seen and heard this done but I ran into a snag while paint stripping it. I was able to take off the paint and all but it left this whitish-greyish specks on the wheels. This residue was below the paint and was really hard to take off. I'm not quite sure what it is, maybe primer? Anyways, after applying and re-applying the klean-strip onto the wheels, the stuff would not come off and i've also tried rubbing compound and some polish but to no avail. Anyone have any idea what this is and how to remove it? I was hoping to either re-paint the wheels and leave a lip or paint the whole wheel graphite...i've also been playing with the idea of just leaving them polished but put some clear coats after the paint was stripped. But only way this is possible is to completely strip everything off the wheel. Any and all help is appreciated. Some pics are below. Thanks.

BEFORE

AFTER

THE DAMAGE

By the way, i plan to take the tires off to complete the job cuz with the tires it's too hard to get a clean strip of the paint.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only guess is that you left the Klean-Strip on there too long. You might have to sand it.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
My only guess is that you left the Klean-Strip on there too long. You might have to sand it.
I actually think i didn't leave it long enough. On the can it says to let it sit for 15 minutes but I think i may have let it sit at the max...10 mins. I was thinking of sanding it but that will be my last resort. I came into this thinking it'd be a no fuss job. Boy, was i wrong! lol
Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

humm ...l used aircraft stripper and a little bit of jasco when i had some 01 gsr blades...i used the jasco to clean first then sprayed the aircraft remover after that i flushed my wheels with water and used steal wool...the steal wool made it look kinda polished/crome looking i then dryed off the wheels and painted em ...
Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VIP_CAMO
humm ...l used aircraft stripper and a little bit of jasco when i had some 01 gsr blades...i used the jasco to clean first then sprayed the aircraft remover after that i flushed my wheels with water and used steal wool...the steal wool made it look kinda polished/crome looking i then dryed off the wheels and painted em ...
After using the aircraft stripper, did you see similar spots on your wheels? I've been thinking of using steel wool to see if i can take the specks off but i wanna make sure i'll still be able to get a clean polished lip.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

i seen a few but not as bad as your wheel...seems like ya might have left on to long...even though i know the bottle told you how long i kinda whatched it bubble then sprayed it with water ....you can see the spray working right as you spray it on