Notices

Question about Konig Feathers for a RS3 XB (or alternatives)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question about Konig Feathers for a RS3 XB (or alternatives)

Alright, so after being frustrated with losing a tercel cap while driving around I've decided to start looking for rims. I loved the trim ring and tercel cap look, but since I'm missing a cap, it looks off. D:

I was looking around, and I think I want black rims for my RS3; particularly the black konig feathers. It seems like they would look pretty nice with the green, but I have some questions before buying. Keep in mind; I am a complete tire/wheel nub.

1) Alrighty, so if I get the 15 inch ones, I can just put my stock goodyear tires on 'em? I know I wouldn't particularly want to ruin the look of the nice rims with those tires, but I might not have the extra cash. Would changing the rims cause problems (inaccurate speedo, rubbing, etc) and would I need spacers or what-not?
2) If I do have the extra moolah, what are some quality tires that would look good on it? Will there be any ramifications with getting these rims and wheels (inaccuracy in the speedo, rubbing, change in driving, etc).
3) If I ordered the rims, what else are necessary componets? New lugs and stuff?
4) Could I get some lowering springs and still have everything bueno?

The end result will be lowered a bit with black rims. I'm not particular on the size, I guess. I just want ease, really.

I really have no clue about this kinda stuff. But I'm trying to learn!

And if anyone has other black rims that would look good on the rs3, please drop me a link. I'm not at all set on the feathers, they just seemed like a good one to see about.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) You will have no problem at all with running the stock tires on the Feathers and you'll have no problems with speedo or fitment other than they will tuck under like the factory wheels instead of fitting flush (which a lot of people on here prefer).

2) 195/60/15 tires are only slightly larger (2% to be exact, when your speedo says 60, you will be going 61.2) but are much cheaper than the stock size... 205/55/15 are almost exactly the same diameter, but i think look to wide for a 6.5" wheel and are more expensive... If you order from discounttiredirect.com (which I highly recommend) they have the Falken Ziex ZE-512 for $54 and the Yokohama AVID Touring for $63 which are both great tires. I ordered the Kumho ASX for $56 from them, they're not on the website, but they ordered them for me. DTD.com has the Feathers for $100... your out the door price would be $705 for tires (the Falkens), wheels, lugs, hub rings, and tire warranty. Everything you need to put them on your car. If you just buy wheels and no tires you'll have to pay someone to mount them for you, if you get them at the same time DTD does it for free.

3) To mount new wheels you will need new lugs and hubcentric rings - the hole in the center of the wheel is larger than the hub of the vehicle and the ring fills this gap.

4) I don't think you'll have any problem with rubbing if you lower it. I'm getting ready to lower mine with the Tein H-Techs (~1") with a 15x7 +38mm offset wheel. Keep in mind that unless it's the TRD springs installed by Toyota, your warranty is affected. But, they have to reasonably prove that your springs caused the problem. If a wheel bearing goes out, they can say that the lowering caused it, if a power window craps out they can't blame the springs.

I am by no means and expert on wheels/tires, but I have been reading tons of posts over the past few months while trying to decide on what I want to do.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome, that was very helpful.

If anyone else has anything to add, awesome.

What are some alternatives to the feathers? I want a black rim that is somewhat simple, when it is all said and done.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

pretty much what monoxide101 said,

i run 195/60/15 on my konig 15x6.5" +38 wheels and dont have a problem running s-techs. love the ride.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member

I've got the black feathers on my white xb, couple of things though:

1. You need very small diameter female tuner lugs with them
2. The are glossy black despite what discount tire direct says and are a _____ to clean, if I did it again I would probably go with the gold ones.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You got any pictures?