Notices

Shaving vs Rolling xA Rear Fenders for Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Shaving vs Rolling xA Rear Fenders for Clearance

It looks like shaving the lip off the rear fenders may separate the upper and lower portions of the unibody, so that may not be a good idea.

Because of the thickness of the lip, I'm not sure it's possible to roll the lip in the usual way. It looks like it needs to be sectioned first.

Any ideas or info on this topic???

I'm looking for more tire clearance.

-Pete
Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think rolling would be fine, it should be rollable,
scion fenders aren't very think
Old 06-16-2007, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I roll the crap out of mine. My paint cracked because i rolled it so much it basically doubled up on itself.

What do you mean it may separate the upper and lower portions of the unibody? Is it because the end of the metal feels thick? If so, that is just a piece of rubber along 85% of the inner fender lip. That came off after i squeezed it with the fender roller 1000 times, and it's just bare metal underneath. If not so, will you elaborate a little?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://rollyourfender.com/
Old 06-16-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Persocon
I roll the crap out of mine. My paint cracked because i rolled it so much it basically doubled up on itself.

What do you mean it may separate the upper and lower portions of the unibody? Is it because the end of the metal feels thick? If so, that is just a piece of rubber along 85% of the inner fender lip. That came off after i squeezed it with the fender roller 1000 times, and it's just bare metal underneath. If not so, will you elaborate a little?
If I were to roll the fender, I would do it the same way- to get maximum clearance. I wouldn't roll the rear fenders, unless I need to repaint the car, because I know the paint will crack there (sooner or later). That's why I wanted to shave the lip.

My xA is a new '06, and there is no rubber on the inner or outer rear fender or lip. It appears that the upper part of the fender/unibody (painted) is attached to the lower part (metal wheel well) along the fender lip. The two pieces of metal come together at the fender lip and there is a weld/seam along the center of the lip.

I think if I shave off the lip (past the seam), the two pieces of metal won't be attached.

It's definitely a thick lip to roll, especially with the seam in the center.

I need to check out some xBs and older xAs to see how my bumper is different.

-Pete
Old 06-16-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by J1slim
That's good info.

My car has new paint, so I don't want to roll at this time, and chance cracking the paint. I've seen that happen a lot of times, enen with careful work.

-Pete
Old 06-16-2007, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kodokan_4
Originally Posted by J1slim
That's good info.

My car has new paint, so I don't want to roll at this time, and chance cracking the paint. I've seen that happen a lot of times, enen with careful work.

-Pete
I went to the rollyourfender.com guy's house an he helped me, but there isn't really a way ofcracking the paint on a Scion due to the rubber lining that is at the fender, just use a heat gun to keep it safe, you should be good.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ROBs-xB
I went to the rollyourfender.com guy's house an he helped me, but there isn't really a way ofcracking the paint on a Scion due to the rubber lining that is at the fender, just use a heat gun to keep it safe, you should be good.
My xA is a new '06, and there is no rubber lining on or at the fender.

I'm pretty sure the fender is different, too.

-Pete
Old 06-16-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kodokan_4
Originally Posted by ROBs-xB
My xA is a new '06, and there is no rubber lining on or at the fender.

I'm pretty sure the fender is different, too.

-Pete
Its the same color as the body, its hard to see. It might be different, but its still
rollable because its the same material as the xB
Old 06-16-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My xA is also a new 2006, there is a rubber lining about 1/4 inch or less wide. it is not a weld, stick your finger nail at the so called "weld" and poke it really hard, it will indent. I will get you pictures right now.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 06-16-2007, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Persocon
My xA is also a new 2006, there is a rubber lining about 1/4 inch or less wide. it is not a weld, stick your finger nail at the so called "weld" and poke it really hard, it will indent. I will get you pictures right now.
Totally excellent pics. Big thanks for that!

From your pics, I can see that the bead/seam must be rubber, like you say.

I'm glad you cleared that up for me. If I ever need to repaint, I'll feel better about rolling.

From the pics, it looks like I could be correct about shaving the lip. Shaving has become popular with S2000s because it's hard to roll the front fender, and because the paint always cracks.

In the pics, you can see the two separate pieces of sheet metal, one on top of the other. I think if I shave much off of the lip, these two pieces will separate.

When did you roll your fenders? Have you have any cracking at all?

-Pete
Old 06-16-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

been rolled for about 3 months. Paint crack at the ends of the wheel well arc. You can see two in Picture 1&2. One at the very end, you can see a bulge. Another one parallel to the end of the rubber. Rolling will take off that rubber no matter what, and bare metal will show. So the whole thing has to get painted again anyways.

If you decide to roll, heat that somebiatch all the way up. I heatgun'd mine but it still cracked.

Shaving is a better idea, but it will still leave rough ends on the paint and it will start flaking off little by little. We just have cheap paint that won't stick, we can't do anything about it. The paint I strip at work on airplanes stick like a ****! You get what you pay for I guess.