Notices

So I ordered my rims... um... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So I ordered my rims... um... now what?

I truly hate to even ask this, since I hate feeling like a novice at anything, but I really know so very little about rims.

I just ordered a set of motegi FF7s 17X7. From what I can tell, they are identical in offset and everything to the stock tC wheels. The tires are also the same size as the stock tc tires. They come mounted and balanced, and they're being delivered to my house.

So here's my question... how ...do I put them on? Do I have to get someone professional to do it? Does something special need to be done... or can I just put them on myself... or what?

-Ryan
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

as long as the lugs fit, bust out the jack and lug wrench and get them babies on there and post some pictures haha.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet. Thanks for the reply.

and so prompt too.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

no problem man!
Old 03-31-2005, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Don't forget to torque those lugs down in a star pattern.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just some question, but if you don't have a torque wrench is there any safe way to properly put the lugs on? I went to a wheel shop a few weeks ago to get hubcentric rings and they used one of those "nascar wrenches " And they had the lugs on so tight, that when i wanted to take my wheels off i nearly broke my lug lock.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I screw on the lugs by hand as far as I can and then use my torque wrench in the typical cross pattern tightening scheme.

One more thing to consider is if the tires are directional, install them accordingly.

Hope this helps,
Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I picked up a beefy torque wrench for my wheels at WalMart for about $15, well worth it, IMO. I got rid of the star wrench i had bought to fit the aftermarket lugs, just carry a 1/2 inch breaker bar and the torque wrench...

NOTE: Don't use the same beefy torque wrench for more delicate items... such as Spark Plugs... Trust Me...
Old 03-31-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want to play it safe you can check the lugs after 10-20 miles and re-torque them if any need it.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

what is the torque spec on the Scion line? all the same, or are the tC's different for alloy wheels?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Use the spec listed in your manual. It's for the lugs, regardless of wheels. I think the xB is 76 ft/lbs.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 04-01-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Use the spec listed in your manual. It's for the lugs, regardless of wheels. I think the xB is 76 ft/lbs.
Hadn't read quite that far yet. I was just gathering information for when I recheck the torque this weekend, and you saved me some reading. We always used the (orange) 80lb ft torque stick on Totota's when I worked at WalMart. I was mostly just curious to see if they actually varied it from steelies on the xB to the alloys on the tC.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man. They haven't shipped yet, and I'm starting to get buyers remorse.

I really wonder if I should have gotten the 18s... will the 17s with the polished lip look silly, with all that tire stickin out around it... maybe I can catch them before it ships and see if they can upgrade my order...

Do you guys think 18s will really go through tires that much faster than 17s like i've been told? I deliver pizza so I drive quite a bit on them...

lots of research to do... and very little time to stop the order.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Less rubber is going to wear out sooner. You need to look at the estimated treadwear. Tires with lower ratings generally grip better and a quieter cuz they are softer. The downside is they don't last as long. Longer treadlife has the downfalls of less grip and more road noise.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I emailed them and asked them if I could change the order before it shipped.

It would only end up being $160 or so dollars more to get the 18s right now, and I figure even if I have to buy new tires 1.5 times as much as usual, it would be ok.

We'll see if they let me do it or not, because I think it was scheduled to ship in 6 or 7 hours. I'll let fate decide whether I get the 18s or the 17s.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

something to keep in mind .. not sure if you're wheel package comes with em

you need TUNER LUGS for the ff7s ... the stock TC lugnuts will not work
Old 04-01-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I ordered them with it... wasn't sure if they needed them or not so I just ordered them anyway.

Thanks for checking though.

Ugh. No word from them this morning though. Wonder what that means.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just thought I'd share what I did when I ordered my tires and rims. I got mine from discounttiredirect.com and they came with the tires mounted on the rims and balanced as well. I also got the locking lug set and the centric rings. I called out to a local tire shop because they have one of those "road test" machines that actually puts a load on the tire as it computer spin-balances it. I thought it might be good to do that after they got shipped. The tire shop charged me $10 a wheel to do that, but then they mounted them on the car for free. So for $40, I got them put on and the piece-of-mind of knowing they were 100% balanced. They ride smooth as silk.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by matt_a
I just thought I'd share what I did when I ordered my tires and rims. I got mine from discounttiredirect.com and they came with the tires mounted on the rims and balanced as well. I also got the locking lug set and the centric rings. I called out to a local tire shop because they have one of those "road test" machines that actually puts a load on the tire as it computer spin-balances it. I thought it might be good to do that after they got shipped. The tire shop charged me $10 a wheel to do that, but then they mounted them on the car for free. So for $40, I got them put on and the piece-of-mind of knowing they were 100% balanced. They ride smooth as silk.
so let me get this correct

you ordered a rim and tire package from a REPUTABLE tire place .. mounted and already balanced

and then PAID SOMEONE ELSE to re-balance em ??? sounds like a waste of 40 dollars to me ... do you not trust discount tire ?? ... last time i checked most places use the same kind of balance machine

and as far as mounting em on the car that takes a few minutes a wheel to do it yourself

Quick Reply: So I ordered my rims... um... now what?