So I ordered my rims... um... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BxB
Originally Posted by matt_a
I just thought I'd share what I did when I ordered my tires and rims. I got mine from discounttiredirect.com and they came with the tires mounted on the rims and balanced as well. I also got the locking lug set and the centric rings. I called out to a local tire shop because they have one of those "road test" machines that actually puts a load on the tire as it computer spin-balances it. I thought it might be good to do that after they got shipped. The tire shop charged me $10 a wheel to do that, but then they mounted them on the car for free. So for $40, I got them put on and the piece-of-mind of knowing they were 100% balanced. They ride smooth as silk.
so let me get this correct

you ordered a rim and tire package from a REPUTABLE tire place .. mounted and already balanced

and then PAID SOMEONE ELSE to re-balance em ??? sounds like a waste of 40 dollars to me ... do you not trust discount tire ?? ... last time i checked most places use the same kind of balance machine

and as far as mounting em on the car that takes a few minutes a wheel to do it yourself
Yep...that's exactly what I did. If you look at the Discount Tire website, you'll see that they do a standard spin balance for free. BUT, if you want the much better "road test balance" they charge extra for that. I wanted it done, but I figured why pay them to do it and then wonder if any wheel weights got knocked off during shipping. This way, I know it was done right, and I didn't have to put the tires on the car. I look at it as $40 well spent.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BxB
I just thought I'd share what I did when I ordered my tires and rims. I got mine from discounttiredirect.com and they came with the tires mounted on the rims and balanced as well. I also got the locking lug set and the centric rings. I called out to a local tire shop because they have one of those "road test" machines that actually puts a load on the tire as it computer spin-balances it. I thought it might be good to do that after they got shipped. The tire shop charged me $10 a wheel to do that, but then they mounted them on the car for free. So for $40, I got them put on and the piece-of-mind of knowing they were 100% balanced. They ride smooth as silk.
so let me get this correct

you ordered a rim and tire package from a REPUTABLE tire place .. mounted and already balanced

and then PAID SOMEONE ELSE to re-balance em ??? sounds like a waste of 40 dollars to me ... do you not trust discount tire ?? ... last time i checked most places use the same kind of balance machine

and as far as mounting em on the car that takes a few minutes a wheel to do it yourself
Yep...that's exactly what I did. If you look at the Discount Tire website, you'll see that they do a standard spin balance for free. BUT, if you want the much better "road test balance" they charge extra for that. I wanted it done, but I figured why pay them to do it and then wonder if any wheel weights got knocked off during shipping. This way, I know it was done right, and I didn't have to put the tires on the car. I look at it as $40 well spent.
still not something i would do, but it makes total sense.